Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Face Coverings Compulsory

(159 Posts)
MissAdventure Thu 04-Jun-20 22:42:25

When using public transport as from the 15th.

Is it not a tiny tad late to bring it into force?

Daisyboots Fri 05-Jun-20 13:08:50

Hi Jane10 We have to wear the mask entering the restaurant and on giving our order to the waiter who wears a mask all the time. If we go to the toilet we have to wear a mask because of maybe passing other occupied tables and when paying the bill. While sitting at the table you don't wear one. Cutlery is sterilized and in paper bags. The tables are sprayed with sanitizer when you arrived and fresh paper tablecloths put on top. Menus have to be paper and disposed after each customer. Tables are placed 2m apart. Sanitizer is used in entering and leaving the restaurant. The restaurant we went to on Tuesday had a foot operated hand sanitizer. Our banks also have these outside as well. Hope this helps your son.

Daisyboots Fri 05-Jun-20 13:15:47

I have just been wearing a disposable mask at the hospital for over 90 minutes and it didnt get wet with my breathing. It doesn't when I wear one for 4 hours either. To stop my specs misting up when wearing a mask I wash them with some liquid soap rinse it off and dry them. They also say to put shaving foam on the lenses, let it dry and then wipe off also stops them misting up.

Jane10 Fri 05-Jun-20 13:16:29

Blimey. I think I might not bother going out to eat! I'll tell DS though.

olliebeak Fri 05-Jun-20 13:52:01

I've been travelling on a bus a couple of times a week - don't drive - and have been wearing a home-made mask each time.

I made THREE from an old Zebra print T-shirt and granddaughter's hair elastics wink - each one is FOUR layers of fabric thick, so quite good at filtering. With one of them, the Zebra's mouth is exactly in the middle of the mask - so gets lots of laughs and comments grin.

maddyone Fri 05-Jun-20 13:53:47

I also think better late than never. I think the delay until 15th June is so that everyone has time to avail themselves of face masks, if it had been announced to take affect immediately, people would have been moaning that they had no time to prepare.

Lucca Fri 05-Jun-20 13:56:54

My friend made me two pretty ones with an opening to put a filter in .
I think it should Be compulsory in shops too. People complain but you’re not in shops for hours and hours nor are most people on public transport for hours and hours.

Jellybean345 Fri 05-Jun-20 13:58:44

The neck buffs used for walking can be used as a mask could nt they ?It can be doubled over and completely covers the nose and mouth, can be easily washed.Might not suit everyone though it stretches tightly but just a thought .

oodles Fri 05-Jun-20 14:08:44

I got some from someone on facebook who makes them, lined and with a third inner layer. Earlier in the pandemic local people were making button straps for masks which go round the ears for docs and nurses so that there was no pressure behind their ears, I didn't myself just looked through my button box for ones the right size, they need to be quite big, so that's an idea if you have an aid in, the ones I have have elastic that goes round the head and some have strings like on an apron top and bottom. I've seen masks for people whose mouths need to be seen for lipreading www.ideasforears.org.uk/blog/masks-with-a-clear-panel/ and if these were more widely available it would be jolly handy for a lot of people.
I've been told that coating glasses with detergent avoids steam up, not sure about the stuff you get for car windscreens, but also that if you add a wire and it fits better your glasses will not steam up
There needs to be a lot of publicity on how to wear them and what to do and not to do, and explanations why some behaviours are not helpful, as some will just pick up on 'wear a mask or facecovering' and will touch them
Yes, they protect other people but if other people wear them they protect you. And even if the other person doesn't wear one you wearing one will cut down the amount of breath that reaches your nose and mouth, and cut down the viral load.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Fri 05-Jun-20 14:24:12

I've been wearing a homemade mask for about three weeks now when I go in a shop, I pull it down when I get back to the car and use hand sanitiser before I set off. When home, I pour boiling water on the mask, squeeze it out to dry on the line or clotheshorse. I hope this keeps me safe.

I've put elastic on it so that it goes round the back of my head as there isn't enough space behind my ears due to the glasses and the hearing aids - the ear loop type just ping off. The mask itself is about halfway down my nose - maybe not ideal but better than nothing.

It has to be said it feels like it impedes the breathing a bit anyway and it's a relief to remove it.

Tweedle24 Fri 05-Jun-20 15:40:31

My sister has COPD so she has been told to isolate. I chose to isolate as I am 76 and asthmatic. I have been making masks for when we decide to go out into the big, wide world.

I just wish that there could me more public information in the media teaching people how to use them properly. I hear of people having one mask which goes on and off, are stored in handbags, taken out to go into shops and then put back in the bag. I even saw a BBC reporter talking about the public transport rules, wearing his mask around his neck and then pulling it up over his nose and mouth by the front. I despair.

Tweedle24 Fri 05-Jun-20 15:49:37

I have just spotted a video on the BBC News website instructing proper use of masks.

Grannynannywanny Fri 05-Jun-20 15:58:19

Tweedle24 thanks for that, just had a look there. It’s good simple easy to follow advice.

I have a pack of nappy/dog poo bags in the house and I keep a few in my bag. I drop the used mask into one when I’m finished shopping to carry it home to wash.

vegansrock Fri 05-Jun-20 16:09:05

www.craftpassion.com/face-mask-sewing-pattern/

This is a good free pattern

25Avalon Fri 05-Jun-20 17:05:30

I read somewhere that a home made face mask is extra effective if you line it with kitchen roll. There’s a U-tube showing how to make a mask from a sock.

Jishere Fri 05-Jun-20 17:25:36

Robert dyas are selling masks although quite dear 19.99 for three and they come with reusable filters.

Sawsage2 Fri 05-Jun-20 17:39:34

I have worn mask & gloves when shopping etc. I just bleach the gloves whilst on when home and hang them up to dry.

Nansypansy Fri 05-Jun-20 18:39:43

I’ve been making face coverings for several weeks and have quite a few happy customers. Please contact me if you’re interested and I can send you a phot of what they’re like with further details. I am selling them for £4 each plus £1 postage if required.

bikergran Fri 05-Jun-20 21:43:05

One of the reasons/problems we dont wear masks at checkouts etc is..we have to talk to customers, we cannot converse and chat with a mask on, we already have screens up which muffle the sound.

Many a time I have had to say to customers, Im sorry but I can't tell what your saying.

Some males come in with those big gigantic masks with filters on them, they chat away to me but I cannot understand one word...it just sounds like someone talking under water..

We can wear masks if we want but none in my supermarket wear them.ry few customers seem to be wearing them now.

We have started selling the masks in our supermarket.

Jaye53 Fri 05-Jun-20 22:59:56

so glad we have to wear masks now as Covid has not gone away

MissAdventure Fri 05-Jun-20 23:19:16

I've noticed a lot of the little newsagents are selling masks (and they're the type that I've been issued for work) if anyone is stuck for sourcing them.

I'm sure there will be people stockpiling them.

MayBee70 Sat 06-Jun-20 00:39:32

Is it just me but, the day that we were told that face masks were going to be made mandatory on public transport I’d had loads of adverts for masks pop up on Facebook. I thought it might have been because I’d Googled ‘masks’ at some point. All I can assume is that the government had been liaising with mask manufacturers for a while.

MissAdventure Sat 06-Jun-20 00:45:14

Sometimes my daughter and me would be talking about something, and then it would come up in adverts on our phones.
It's a curious old world.

Nansnet Sat 06-Jun-20 05:59:33

I must say that I'm astounded at the amount of people who are still trying to make up any excuse for not having to wear a mask/face covering. Reasons such as people not knowing how to wear them correctly, so it's better not to wear them at all ... the government here in HK put out public service announcements on tv, and in newspapers, etc., for those who would find it challenging, but google provides good advice also. Reasons such as people touching their face more frequently ... train yourself not to! Reasons such as heat/glasses steaming up ... I live in a country with temps of 30'c+, and often close to 100% humidity ... I also wear glasses, and I can still manage to wear a mask if I need to go out. Stop making excuses!

And, the reasons I've seen people suggesting the delay until 15th June, such as the law needs to be written before it can be made compulsory ... there was nothing to stop the government from simply telling the public that for the health and safety of everyone, they highly recommend wearing face coverings with immediate effect, and it will be law from 15th June.

Also, the suggestion that people need to be given time to source the masks ... have many of the British public not noticed that there's been a pandemic going on for the past few months?! I think they've had more than enough time to source masks, or make their own face coverings, or simply use a scarf until they can source masks. Anything is better than nothing, and, if everyone had had the sense to wear them weeks ago, there would've been far fewer cases and deaths!

growstuff Sat 06-Jun-20 07:55:07

MayBee One local Facebook group was told (by Facebook) not to advertise masks because so many of them weren't up to the job. I noticed a post from one of the admins a couple of days ago saying they were allowing people to advertise them again, but were checking them to make sure they seemed up to standard and people weren't charging extortionate amounts. I would imagine all Facebook groups were told the same.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 06-Jun-20 08:18:36

WHO recommends that all over 60s wear medical grade masks.

I take notice if this advice rather than our government who has clearly floundered since day 1, and as a result has the worse record in the world.

Think of that!