Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

I have an appointment with my hairdresser!!

(93 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Fri 12-Jun-20 14:52:24

16th July. All being well.

Been given full instructions on how to enter the building and what to wear, which is mask and gloves.

She will be in full face mask as well as mouth mask plus apron, plus gloves.

Many less appointments available as time has to be allowed for full cleaning between appointments. Brushes and combs sterilised etc.

What a palaver!! All in the interests of vanity?

TrendyNannie6 Fri 12-Jun-20 19:02:14

Nope, there’s no way I will be setting foot in any hairdressing salons, until I feel it is safe, I don’t care what they are wearing to help protect, my hair is now in a bob style I quite like it, just cutting the fringe, but I will say even if I hated my hair I still wouldn’t venture in any salons or shops, I’m high risk

lemongrove Fri 12-Jun-20 20:25:44

I understand the longing to go to a hairdresser and if you don’t touch anything there ( and take hand sanitiser) wear a mask, and the hairdresser wears a mask you should be fine.
I am leaving it for a while longer though, as the salon I go to is really tiny ( but she is the best hairdresser I have ever come across).She will also be really busy for the first month I imagine.
My grey doesn’t show ( highlighted) and it’s it’s now a long layered bob, so looks ok.

hallgreenmiss Fri 12-Jun-20 21:36:49

Can’t wait; my last cut was due the day they closed so haven’t had a trim since 17 February. I look like Dougal in a wind tunnel!

mumofmadboys Fri 12-Jun-20 21:48:12

My last cut was 23 rd Jan. It was short and layered but I think I will continue to grow it out into a bob. Already grey!

Cabbie21 Fri 12-Jun-20 23:39:03

I have an appointment booked for 16 July. I am hoping it will feel safe to go, though if I have doubts I won’t. I am pretty sure DH will not want me to go, and to be honest, I have not been anywhere apart from solitary walks, in order to protect him. He is not on the official shielding list but has health conditions which make him vulnerable.
I am longing to get my hair cut as it is normally quite short and has lost its shape. As for the colour, I was thinking of embracing the grey, but it is white underneath, not silver, and reminds me so much of my mum who died aged 92. I am twenty years younger so no way do I want to look or feel that old yet. I think I should get my hairdresser to help me make the transition somehow, but it looks awful at the moment.

SueH49 Fri 12-Jun-20 23:48:02

I had mine cut 2 weeks ago. I felt so much better after 14 weeks of it getting more and more out of control.
My hairdresser works from home so there are not a lot of people there at the same time even in normal times. Other than cleaning everything between clients and having people there for a little time as possible, there were no other precautions.

allium Sat 13-Jun-20 04:18:54

Me too.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 13-Jun-20 06:55:19

Yes my hairdresser works from home so there will only be the two of us, but as I said I will watch the R rate carefully before I make the final decision.

NanKate Sat 13-Jun-20 06:58:13

4.00 pm 6 July, brilliant. ?

Ginny42 Sat 13-Jun-20 07:31:32

I've had texts from mine offering appointments, but no dates yet, just a list. The latest was for beauty treatments, but I'm not risking it yet. I've been colouring it myself and been tempted to take the scissors to it, but resisted. It's had a rest from all the heat treatments and it's actually in better condition, although a bit woolly mammoth in style.

jaylucy Sat 13-Jun-20 10:03:57

I have often said to my hairdresser that the only way that I could get my hair blow dried as well as she does it, would be if I could take my head off my shoulders and stick it on a pole!
Beginning to wish that that was actually possible right now , so I could send it along as soon as they open !!!

Rowsie Sat 13-Jun-20 10:04:41

I am green with envy! My normally cropped white hair has a life of it's own under lock down! Each morning I am never sure who will greet me in the morning..usually when I first get up I resemble Einstein, when I have washed and tried to tame the hair I could pass for Bernie Eccleston or Donald Trump, I then go out in the wind and I am Boris! I so want to get to the hairdressers!

MarieEliza Sat 13-Jun-20 10:15:56

Did you say £85!?

Dorsetcupcake61 Sat 13-Jun-20 10:17:00

My hairdresser is a lovely lady and very good. She has booked me in for July but not sure I will be going. Things seem to be a bit uncertain in the south west and I'm high risk and can only get there by public transport. I normally have short hair with what I call my Mars bar highlights,a mix of caramels and blonde. It does look nice. My last colour was February and cut first week of March. ?. Its looking interesting! Its keeping a rough shape but I havent seen true colour for years,less grey than I thought. I'm lucky in that not going anywhere at moment,although there are video calls etc. I'm looking on it as an interesting experiment, if I like it I may never colour again!

annodomini Sat 13-Jun-20 10:18:00

I have a completely new style. My hair has always been short, with a side fringe. It's never been straight but not entirely curly. Now it is curly on top with soft waves back and sides and actually looks quite good, though different. Roots aren't an issue for me, as I'm a silver gran.

Esmerelda Sat 13-Jun-20 10:24:36

Hmm ... I usually keep my hair very short so cannot imagine my hairdresser being able to cut it without cutting through the strings of any mask I might be wearing. It will just have to stay shaggy for many more weeks/months, I fear. Maybe it will eventually get long enough for me to put it up!

Lindylou57 Sat 13-Jun-20 10:28:39

Me too, 6th July. Mine is a mobile hairdresser who comes to my home. Will adhere as much as possible to guidlines. I've missed 2 appt during lockdown, was lucky enough to have it cut week before. I keep my hair short as its very thick and wavy and now I cant do anything with it,look like I've been dragged backwards through a hedge! I can't contain my joy!

Caro57 Sat 13-Jun-20 10:35:18

No hairdresser appointment but have been called for cervical screening - hey ho grin

4allweknow Sat 13-Jun-20 10:36:05

Gave up the colouring a year ago and went platinum whilst grey took over. Best thing I could have done. Just been hacking away at my now overgrown bob this morning as a bit too heavy at sides. Not a bad job! Fringe is easy as I usually do have a snip between hairdressers visits. Will leave the hairdresser for a couple of months to see if everything stays settles once all the new "freedoms" are in place.

Patricia59 Sat 13-Jun-20 10:37:26

I have a hairdressing appointment 8th July. So looking forward to it.

rowanflower0 Sat 13-Jun-20 10:43:31

My hairdresser in anticipating Boris opening them, and texted me. She said she could do me a cut, wash, blowdry on the 6th July or a cut and colour on the 7th, so went for that, but won't my mask get in the way?
I've got a painting tutorial booked for the 17th, too - just 2 of us in her outside studio (glorified summerhouse) to socially distance.

Rumpunch Sat 13-Jun-20 10:43:51

I've decided to give up on having my hair coloured. I only ever had a semi-permanent colour every other visit ( about 10 weeks) Hubby is due to retire and so the saving will be good and being as I've gone so far I decided to carry on!
My hairdresser told me I was her third client to tell her that.!!

Craftycat Sat 13-Jun-20 10:50:06

So jealous!
My hairdresser is a friend who does my hair on her home. I was really looking forward to seeing her next month but she is taking a family holiday. I have coloured it myself but it really needs a cut. It grows so fast.

Harris27 Sat 13-Jun-20 10:50:30

My hairdresser comes to my house so don’t know when I’ll be able to get my hair done!

Lexisgranny Sat 13-Jun-20 10:57:58

Can anyone tell me the latest ruling on mobile hairdressers, hopefully for the benefit of all Gransnetters in all the Uk, I realise there may be differences.