Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

How many people do you know........

(243 Posts)
Daddima Sat 20-Jun-20 16:37:47

...who actually have, or had, Covid19? Not just people who say they’re ‘ sure they had it’, but definite cases. I only know of two, one who contracted it in hospital following admission for a broken hip, and another who died in a care home.

Please try not to drift ‘ off topic’, as I’m really interested to hear your answers to the question.

Framilode Sat 20-Jun-20 18:45:18

In my daHHughters large law office in London nobody has actually been known to have Covid. However, many of them have now had the antibody test and they have all tested positive for antibodies. It is probable that most of them have had Covid and either had no symptoms or a mild illness.

Framilode Sat 20-Jun-20 18:45:49

Sorry didn't check spellings etc before posting.

Washerwoman Sat 20-Jun-20 18:52:35

Our DD and her partner.He is a police officer and tested positive and then 2 days later DD started with symptoms. Both moderately ill at home but DD very tired for several weeks.At the same time I was ill with identical symptoms in a different city and no contact with them.Not tested but hard to think its anything else.
Recently a friends DD tested positive after initially negstive.Very breathless and still recovering.

Floradora9 Sat 20-Jun-20 19:05:11

DS had it early on contacted in his office before they shut it down it was confirmed it was in the office . Friend over 80 died of it .

PinkCakes Sat 20-Jun-20 20:11:55

Not one. Not one with it or had it. I work in a hospital ward (receptionist) but there are no Covid cases here

jacq10 Sat 20-Jun-20 20:18:21

I had a phone call from Cleveleys to tell me a long standing friend had passed away from Covid. He stayed in sheltered housing and was heading up to 80 but it was very sudden. Lady in a street near me who works in care home was hospitalised for 5 weeks and came out still poorly but is on the mend. One of my close friends who stays in a fairly large housing estate knows of at least three neighbours affected with two being admitted to hospital. This is in the Scottish Highlands one of the least affected areas but it is around!

jacq10 Sat 20-Jun-20 20:21:20

PS: There was also a very high profile one locally where a very fit 55yr old man died. Everyone was shocked and couldn't understand until it was revealed he had just come back from a ski-ing holiday in Italy.

Tangerine Sat 20-Jun-20 20:23:33

3 relations.

TheFrugalPiggy Sat 20-Jun-20 20:26:16

None! Until Tuesday I was living in the South East.

annodomini Sat 20-Jun-20 20:31:59

My DiL had it early on. She is a supermarket manager so probably caught it when the store was mobbed at the start of lockdown. DS and two sons might have had it without symptoms. We think the 12-year-old had it because a few weeks later he had some of the symptoms that a number of younger children have had - acute tummy ache and high temperature, but he bounced back quickly. My niece had it and still has symptoms weeks later - temp and exhaustion.

Granniesunite Sat 20-Jun-20 20:42:56

2. husbands of friends . Both with underlying health issues.

Grannybags Sat 20-Jun-20 20:47:52

The mil of my Niece died from it. She was in her 90s

BBbevan Sat 20-Jun-20 20:49:41

2. In their middle to late 40s. Live in London and had it very early on.

callgirl1 Sat 20-Jun-20 21:00:37

My eldest son, who has lung cancer and was shielding, managed to pick up the virus, but after 6 weeks he at last tested negative. We all breathed sighs of relief.

FlexibleFriend Sat 20-Jun-20 21:04:22

None and I'm in London.

Jane10 Sat 20-Jun-20 21:19:30

One. My son. He got it quite early on. Not great but was OK after about a week. One long term positive side effect - he gave up smoking after many years of trying.

Sussexborn Sat 20-Jun-20 21:36:10

None. We live in the West Midlands.

4allweknow Sat 20-Jun-20 23:45:33

0 confirmed, a few who think they have had it, with two saying sure they had it back in February when GD had a snotty nose and then they had they had the same. Possibly a cold? But no definitely the virus!

grannyqueenie Sat 20-Jun-20 23:55:14

My daughter a fit healthy NHS frontline worker has had it, really unwell for 3 and 7 weeks on still not quite 100%. An older man she knew locally died. 2 young mothers in our small town, confirmed by GP as Covid + 2 friends in London area - these cases were all before testing was readily available.
According to stats 6 deaths in our small town, pop of 15,000. Old work colleague of my husbands, generally mid 70s confirmed case in north west died. So yes enough to convince me to ease out of lockdown with extreme caution!!

Bathsheba Sun 21-Jun-20 00:03:54

Neighbours of a friend, husband and wife, in their forties, and both front line workers. She had only mild symptoms but he was admitted to hospital for 2 or 3 nights and was very unwell with it. However they both recovered and were back to work within a couple of weeks. Another friend’s daughter had it and has been very slow to recover, still exhausted and barely able to walk more than half a dozen steps more than 2 months later.

B9exchange Sun 21-Jun-20 00:11:32

Husband of work colleague, who gave it to her and their son, husband of another work colleague died of it, she had it without symptoms, my daughter and her ex, and as they both had it, presumably DGS, and DGD who was a bit unwell at the same time, as well.

So 9 in total.

Eloethan Sun 21-Jun-20 01:49:24

I know quite a few people who have had it. I know of around 8 people who have died from it - not personal friends but friends of friends, neighbour's friends, a person in our street and in a nearby street, etc. I live in London.

Marmight Sun 21-Jun-20 02:31:24

until today, none (I’m in the Cotswolds). Then I had a chat with a friend whose DD, from London, has had it while hiding out in their Norfolk bolt hole!

Willow500 Sun 21-Jun-20 07:12:46

A local band member my son used to know died early on from it but thankfully no one we know personally. My GD and her partner were tested this week as a work colleague of hers had symptoms but they tested negative thank goodness.

Rosalyn69 Sun 21-Jun-20 07:23:59

None where I live - Gower - and no-one I know living in England.