Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Second waves - dealing with the virus part 2 ??

(232 Posts)
MawB Tue 23-Jun-20 08:59:01

It’s not gone, it’s not even going to be gone - but it’s how we deal with it that will make the difference.
Beijing faced lockdown after reporting an outbreak last week after being declared virus-free for a whole day.
An Anglesey chicken plant has had 175 new cases recently.
Germany has had a serious outbreak in and around Gütersloh starting in an abattoir and meat processing plant, it is suspected involving unsanitary living conditions for migrant workers.
Berlin has had a surge in the poor and densely populated Neu-Kölln area of the city
And now South Korea , previously held up as a shining example is facing a worrying surge as health authorities in South Korea admitted yesterday it was experiencing a “second wave” in Seoul.
Jeong Eun-kyeong, director of the Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, is reported as saying it had become clear that a holiday weekend in early May marked the start of a new wave of infections in the densely populated greater Seoul area, which had previously seen few cases.
There are some common factors such as working temperatures in the meat processing plants but also the lamentable living conditions where migrant workers have been involved and of course predictable consequences in lapses in social distancing, but in all cases prompt identification, testing, tracking and isolating have been paramount in stopping these second waves from becoming countrywide.
I just hope that this time the government and our public health authorities can learn from the experience of others.

growstuff Tue 30-Jun-20 08:57:17

I'm confused.

I believe East Midlands Airport is the nearest to Leicester. Does it operate flights from Pakistan?

Are people going straight from the plane to hospital? Why don't they go to Loughborough, Derby or Nottingham?

growstuff Tue 30-Jun-20 09:10:06

I'm even more confused now. Apparently this 50% represents just 30 cases since 4 June.

There have been far more imported cases from Spain, Italy and France.

Admittedly, most of them were before 4 June, but that's not what the headline says.

Chewbacca Tue 30-Jun-20 09:16:15

Growstuff there's nothing to link anybody who is flying in to Britain and then going to Leicester to check into hospital, as far as I can see.

growstuff Tue 30-Jun-20 11:31:04

Chewbacca

Growstuff there's nothing to link anybody who is flying in to Britain and then going to Leicester to check into hospital, as far as I can see.

So it's all dog whistle "Let's blame Pakistanis"?

Fennel Tue 30-Jun-20 12:49:00

There was a good article in yesterday's Guardian, (not the main section) about the crowded beaches at Bournemouth . and other places where there have been packed crowds recently.
I can't find the ref. as it has gone for recycling.
The writer points out that these events will provide perfect settings for evidence that the virus will spread in those conditions. Or not.
Taking into account age groups, inside/outside, ethnic mixes etc.
ie was it worth taking the risk?
Hoping I've recalled it correctly.

MayBee70 Tue 30-Jun-20 19:24:08

The thing about Bournemouth, though, is that it was very hot therefore lots of uv light and there would have been a breeze from the sea. So it wouldn't replicate conditions inland in crowded places. And without test, trace isolate etc how will any information be collated?