Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Angry

(63 Posts)
Nannan2 Mon 03-Aug-20 10:42:18

Try help yourself a bit instead, by losing some of the 'overweight' then, which will probably lower the blood pressure too.

Nannan2 Mon 03-Aug-20 10:39:36

I think for once quizqueen is right!- gagajo is being hypocritical here! Hows she being 'very careful' yet flies back/forth? Earning or not, shes still doing it?! And there was no mention by gov't that folk in a bubble could not go out anywhere else, like nursery, school or work?- only about who you 'distance' or 'visit with' but incidentally, id still distance anyway, to be extra safe.At least theyve all had the sense to be tested, some ignore any symptoms totally.But are you sure you arent being OTT because you know it could even be you bringing it into house by the flying to/fro? Even if you get tested everytime you go, theres still 24 hrs till test results where you can pass it on, and then your daughter pass it to friend, it doesnt mean nessessarily friends child got anything in nursery, does it? This sounds like "do as i say, not do as i do".Unless youre staying home, all the time, you cant be 'being very safe' can you.So stop berating daughter for trying to have a bit of support when your not around.

maddyone Sun 02-Aug-20 23:30:34

quizqueen That comment was unnecessary. GagaJo has to travel because it’s her work. She’s very careful, and also very worried. She doesn’t need that type of comment.

Try not to worry Gaga. My two year old grandson had an extremely high temperature last week. His parents are doctors and he has to attend nursery (we now have to look after the twins as no other care for them.) Anyway the whole family had to stay at home while grandson had the test, he didn’t like it! Good news 24 hours later, negative test, he actually had tonsillitis. The magic bottle of banana medicine aka Amoxicillin, and he was as happy as Larry 24 hours later. So your daughter’s friend may very well not have the virus at all, it could just be a cold or hayfever. And not everyone who has asthma ends up in hospital by any means even if they get the virus. Keep up your very good hygiene routines. If it puts your mind at rest, wear a mask indoors. Try to be outside as much as you can. And try not to worry flowers

Iam64 Sun 02-Aug-20 21:53:26

Gagajo, try not to worry. The test results tend to appear within 24 hours. There are definitely other viruses around and hopefully, that's all it is. I was told by a doctor that 100,000 tests a day are being done, 1000 of which are positive.

I understand your frustration but honestly, have always had real misgivings about the idea of bubbles. One of our grandchildren has three grannies and grandpa's so the idea of any safe bubble with his family seems to me to be a non starter. Any contact with have with anyone is likely to be at some level of risk. Keep safe and let us know the result

Callistemon Sun 02-Aug-20 21:12:23

Has your DD been distancing when she sees her friend, Gagajo?
They may not have the virus and I thought it generally started with a cough, not a cold. There are still other viruses around and it could well be one of those.

Children may well display no symptoms. Can you make sure he plays outside and gets some Vit D from the sunshine? (Obviously not too much sun.)

Some people just don't think it will affect them, it's not real.

GagaJo Sun 02-Aug-20 20:43:20

quizqueen

Your daughter is an adult and can do what she likes. You can travel over half a continent but you think that she cannot go across the road to see her mate!!

Do you ever have anything positive to say quizqueen?

GrannySomerset Sun 02-Aug-20 20:35:08

Every sympathy, Gagajo. It’s maddening when you have been so careful that your daughter doesn’t take your risk seriously enough to think before she acts, but the younger age groups do not appreciate how serious this could be for us. As Maw wisely says, you don’t know whether they have tested positive.

We have had young relatives here for lunch in the garden and it has cheered me up enormously though I suppose there was an element of risk. We were as careful as we could be and there were no hugs.

quizqueen Sun 02-Aug-20 20:30:37

Your daughter is an adult and can do what she likes. You can travel over half a continent but you think that she cannot go across the road to see her mate!!

Barmeyoldbat Sun 02-Aug-20 20:25:35

Deep breath Gagajo and relax, put you daughter in quarantine for 2 weeks and hope for the best. Try to tay positive.

GagaJo Sun 02-Aug-20 20:24:59

You're right Maw. They tested today. If they went to the testing centre I've been to, results take 24 hours or less.

I'm just annoyed with her taking risks while I'm around. I'll be gone, back to work, in 10 days, so she'll have a bit more freedom then.

Although, if my GRANDSON gets ill... Hell hath no fury like a worried granny.

MawB Sun 02-Aug-20 20:16:09

Don’t panic Gagajo

First of all you do not know if they have tested positive.
I assume you have been observing good hygiene yourself and your daughter has had no symptoms.
Yes be angry at other people’s stupidity but don’t blame your daughter for something which has not happened.
Not everybody who has asthma catches Covid and, not everybody who is overweight or everybody who is older.
Keep calm

TerriBull Sun 02-Aug-20 19:58:29

I'm sorry for your anxiety GagaJo, I can imagine what a worry this must be for you. My son, thankfully doesn't live with us, but fairly nearby, has a similar cavalier outlook, maybe not going down the pub, but has been down to Bournemouth a number of times since lockdown as girlfriend's family live there. He also admits they have friends round to theirs, so I don't know where any of these people have been and am cautious when he is with us. If anything he should be careful because he also has asthma and has been hospitalised with that a couple of times. He comes round when the weather is good so we sit in the garden and argue about how he should take all this more seriously and sometimes he forgets and gets too close and whilst I feel awful keeping him at arm's length I'm not prepared to take chances. I let him in house to got to the loo only. I've let his children and our grand children in the house, as I believe fairly young children are less of a risk. Thankfully my other son isn't like this and incidentally he had a cold last week, was tested but thankfully, it was just a summer cold and hopefully that will be the case with your daughter's friends too, but yes I get angry with carefree son because we are doing our upmost to be careful.

GagaJo Sun 02-Aug-20 19:04:41

So, other than travelling by plane twice to and from my overseas job (risky I know, but I need an income) I have been very careful. I don't go out where there are other people much. IF I have to, I wear a mask. I've seen my bloke once (after he was tested) in 6 months.

My daughter has a friend across the road. She and her husband are working from home. Daughter has been seeing her friend for the last couple of weeks. They're in a bubble (?!). EXCEPT it turns out, they're not. The woman's 2 children go to nursery.

Now the friend's family is ill. Just a cold. Except they tested today for C19.

I'm really worried. I have asthma. My blood pressure isn't high, but not far off it. I'm overweight. Oh, and I'm older.

I'm angry too. Selfish daughter. Bloody idiot daughter.