Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Social distancing in Christmas bubbles

(110 Posts)
Snowbell Wed 09-Dec-20 21:27:50

The government guidance on meeting your Christmas bubble indoors says " if you are only visiting someone for a short time, you should keep socially distanced from anybody you do not live with as much as possible"
How can this possibly work with up to 3 households in one house, especially if it's a small house or flat and with excited children?

Mapleleaf Thu 10-Dec-20 11:54:23

We won't be mixing, and, like so many others this means not seeing loved ones we normally would at this time (Some of those we wont have seen for a year). However, in order to keep them, us and others safe, we've decided it's better to stay put and not mix in close, confined spaces no matter how hard it is. Some people just don't get it, I'm afraid, but whatever the Government advises, some will interpret things to suit their own agenda, and do their own thing believing the virus couldn't possibly target them and theirs, only other people... ?

LinkyPinky Thu 10-Dec-20 12:01:23

I agree with those of you who think this is madness. If you must though, as well as opening windows and doors for ‘cross-passage’ ventilation, please also consider investing in one or more portable air purifiers with Hepa filters, a humidifier and a CO2 monitor. Might save your life.

Kate51 Thu 10-Dec-20 12:03:49

We will not be getting together this Christmas, sad but want everyone to stay safe. We will celebrate Christmas together when things get better, hopefully after the vaccine stops the spread. If it is March, June, July or whenever we will open our pressies together then. We have all agreed and when it finally happens we will all have a wonderful day.

LauraNorder Thu 10-Dec-20 12:11:03

I really can’t agree with the government relaxing the rules because people will break them anyway.
Speed limits in built up areas are 30 mph because it is shown that injury is less likely to be severe if hit by a car. Many people break that law so should we make it 40mph and risk more maiming and deaths just because a few can’t be law abiding.
I wish the government had just told us all to stay at home unless we live alone and can form a safe bubble if we feel we need to.
What happened to protecting the NHS?
What happened to we’re all in it together?
I wish everyone would hold back until the vaccine has been rolled out to everyone over 60 at least.

QuickFire9 Thu 10-Dec-20 12:13:53

It’s going to be a day of Russian roulette. I’d rather we were on our own. I’ve got a husband who had to shield and has made it this far. Daughter a few houses away with a 4 month old baby and son coming too to hers. Her husband is working ( A and E Doctor) but we’ve said we will only go to her house, Windows open and masks on but we will make and bring food for them to save her cooking. I don’t think we will stay for long at all. Fingers x next year will be back to normal.

Mamardoit Thu 10-Dec-20 12:22:51

NannanTo4 flowers

Lots of us are in the same boat. I suppose we are lucky that we still have one DS at home doing his university course from home. I do feel sorry for him with just mum and dad for company. He did meet up with friends over the summer but is locked down again with us. Not all young people are out partying.

TrendyNannie6 Thu 10-Dec-20 12:23:46

Totally agree with you Patticake

SewnSew Thu 10-Dec-20 12:29:01

DS, DiL and DGD will sit in our conservator will sit in our conservatory for Christmas breakfast with presents to and from them which will have been quarantined for 3 days. Table will be laid with paper plates etc. which can be left in there for a few days afterwards before clearing. There will be hand sanitiser on the table. Husband and I will be in the sitting room, rather more than 2 metres away from them. They will leave after breakfast. I think that is as safe as it can be.

riccib123 Thu 10-Dec-20 13:09:09

Pollyperkins says she is seeing family and will be careful. Forgive me if this sounds rude, but eating lunch across or around a table will make being careful irrelevant. If you spend time near another person without a mask on for more than around 15 min I think, you are at risk. As the experts have said, just because you can doesn’t mean you should. Please ask yourselves whether one lunch is more important than the future

leeds22 Thu 10-Dec-20 13:10:43

Crazy. We will be in a total mire come mid-January - covid + no deal Brexit. Only sorry I'm too old to emigrate to a sensible country with a sane government.

jocork Thu 10-Dec-20 13:13:22

I live alone in a tier 3 area surrounded by tier 2 where most of my friends live. I've just turned down an invitation for a walk in the park with a friend as we are in different areas, although I was very tempted as it would almost certainly be safe. Meanwhile DD lives alone 400 miles away in a Scottish level 4 area - also very high risk. She has left her bubble so that she can bubble with me for Christmas. She is working from home until then and hardly seeing any people in person for this reason. I shall drive up there with minimal stops - just naps, loos and coffee - so we can be safe together without having to distance in her flat.

Unfortunately not everyone is being so careful and there is certain to be a huge spike after Christmas which need not happen. We all have to sacrifice for the good of everyone this year. I considered staying home alone but feel DD needs my company more than I need hers so I'm going.

We have been invited to get together with the family she intends to bubble with in the new year after having a gap when I go home. We will certainly be very careful if we go to their house. If the weather is good we'll probably get together outdoors. I do hope most people will be as careful but sadly too many people seem to think covid19 won't happen to them.

Nancat Thu 10-Dec-20 13:14:28

I believe the Government have relaxed restrictions because they know a large proportion of people would have ignored the rules anyway, and at least this means that the police won't be having to race round to break up gatherings reported to them. As we've seen over the months with posts here, there are so many who try and justify breaking the rules with a "Yes, I know, but it doesn't apply to ME - I'm a special case" attitude. Maybe it's time that people thought about the true origin of Christmas, celebration of the birth of Jesus, not the modern excuse for a big bingefest.
I will be staying at home, alone, counting my blessings that I'm safe and healthy, and speaking to family by phone or on the computer, grateful that we are all still here in spite of so many who flout the rules and behave irresponsibly.

naughtynanny Thu 10-Dec-20 13:30:26

I'm really sorry ladies, I completely understand this is not what you want to hear, but realistically, so many people will never ever comply with any 'rules', behind closed doors.

So effectively, you are, in the bigger picture, wasting your time 'complying' on something that is completely NOT policeable, whereas thousands upon thousands of households will not.

So it's a pointless exercise to deny yourself being with your loved ones at Christmas and hugging your little Grandchildren.
And to be really honest, I think it is absolutely unreasonable and extremely rude to expect your demands about windows being open, in someone else's house, to be accepted. If you feel that scared, then you should stay at home, and let others enjoy their time together. You are being paranoid, absolutely.

Nelly99 Thu 10-Dec-20 13:46:06

I’m so upset my daughter had her first baby a few weeks ago , she wants me to take the baby just for a night so they can have a rest ... trouble is I know the other side of the family have been seeing her too , which includes several people . I’ve stayed in since last April , of course I want to help , I want to snuggle that little baby more than anything but can I ? Should I ? And I feel like to say no is being horrible and I don’t want to upset my daughter or make her feel like I’m being stupid. Trouble is how do I say it without feeling bad ? And just how do I say it ? I’m torn I feel so cruel . Help please ? tchshock

Grandma11 Thu 10-Dec-20 13:58:11

We live in a tier 3 area, but I'm shocked and amazed at the stupidity of what I am reading on Facebook regarding the parties some people are planning with their friends online. One family have a daughter who is home from Uni, and she has invited several younger people to join in with an 'open house' party within her neighbourhood, encouraging a mix of families, age groups, and just about 'uncle Tom Cobley and all' to bring a bottle and join in, with blatant disregard to the aftermath and consequences her actions may result in.
She's now trying to book a Disco to be set up in a neighbours Double Garage!

HillyN Thu 10-Dec-20 14:09:16

I think each one of us has to make our own decision about what we feel comfortable, safe and happy doing and tell our families. Only we know how much of a risk those attending present to us, or us to them.
I am really looking forward to seeing my grandchildren open their presents and I CAN resist the temptation to hug and kiss them; they can be gently told 'Sorry, Nanna's not allowed to,' without too much heartache! (We play blowing and catching kisses- 'Oops, missed that one' etc)

Misha14 Thu 10-Dec-20 14:15:12

My son and his partner have said they will isolate for 14 days before Christmas, as will we, except for shopping, at 7am and clinic visit for husband. DS and DiL work from home. We don't go out except for above, so Christmas Eve together we reckon will be okay. We won't be seeing DD and her family at all.

M0nica Thu 10-Dec-20 14:31:55

Surely the word ,bubble' applies only to the description of a household bubbling with someone living slone.

The family visits at Christmas are not as I unerstand it 'bubbles' where people can get as close and personal as they like but simply consent to meeting up with 2 other households indoors and the usual face hands and space rules will apply to those meetings.

AntC Thu 10-Dec-20 15:04:44

Completely agree, it's not worth the risk and there will be a huge spike in January. Have just had a bit of a meltdown and decided we can't have anyone in the house over Christmas as my husband has liver disease. Feeling much better now I know I won't have to be so anxious on the day!

handbaghoarder Thu 10-Dec-20 15:21:56

We have pruned numbers way back this year. Normally have GC over from Asia but obviously that was a non starter. Then my sister, her AC and their families/ step children join us and our two other AC and AGC for Christmas lunch, so a real houseful. Sadly this year will be very quiet, but has to be. But we will zoom, do quizzes and chat and just make the best of it until we are able to get together again.

brownbunny17 Thu 10-Dec-20 16:11:57

Common sense at last xx

brownbunny17 Thu 10-Dec-20 16:19:36

We won't be getting together either, better to wait till after vaccine. Even the family agrees xx

Aepgirl Thu 10-Dec-20 16:36:56

It will only not work if people translate the guidance to suit themselves. Sadly we are surrounded by selfish idiotic people who have no concern for their own or anybody else’s safety.

Greeneyedgirl Thu 10-Dec-20 16:37:49

Has anyone seen the documentary “Hospital” from the Royal Free, and see how much heartbreak and devastation this pandemic has caused/causing, not only to those on ICU struggling with Covid but for those in need of lifesaving surgery, which has been postponed, resulting in spread of their cancers?

Surgeons have been practically in tears fighting for operating theatres, and many staff has been either off sick or isolating or totally worn out, physically and emotionally.

I can’t contemplate even one day of celebration over Christmas with my family, however much I would like to see them, knowing the attendant risks, notwithstanding distancing, and blasting cold air circulating through the house.

rosie1959 Thu 10-Dec-20 16:47:48

Will be hosting for my daughter and son in law and granddaughter My son and his two children
See them all regularly anyway as son is in a bubble with us and I look after the children for childcare
Will be taking usual hygiene precautions but apart from that carry on as normal