Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Dover is closed to outbound traffic

(412 Posts)
mokryna Sun 20-Dec-20 21:44:15

Things are getting serious as France is because of covid is blocking lorry movements.

mokryna Sun 20-Dec-20 21:45:33

Sorry
France because of

Oopsadaisy1 Sun 20-Dec-20 22:30:55

France has blocked our vehicles from entering France for 48 hours.

growstuff Sun 20-Dec-20 22:31:12

I feel sorry for the lorry drivers.

growstuff Sun 20-Dec-20 22:32:12

Oopsadaisy1

France has blocked our vehicles from entering France for 48 hours.

France has blocked all vehicles (not just our vehicles) from entering France from the UK.

MawBe Mon 21-Dec-20 00:03:10

Why only outwards from the U.K.?
Is it not possible that the variant has spread in the OPPOSITE direction by trans-European lorry drivers coming into the U.K.?
Presumably they have comfort breaks once on this side and that would explain why it appears to have originated in Kent. .

Nezumi65 Mon 21-Dec-20 00:08:12

I think our own sequencing labs have said it originated here.

Anyway according to bbc they’re not coming over here either. French lorry drivers worried about getting stuck here apparently. Should probably do some sort of shop tomorrow....

MawBe Mon 21-Dec-20 00:13:08

Not entirely, the new variant has so far been identified in Denmark, the Netherlands and Australia, according to Maria Van Kerkhove, technical Covid19 lead for the WHO.

Nezumi65 Mon 21-Dec-20 00:18:59

Yes but Chris Whitty says it was believed to have originated in Kent or London & has spread from there

Hetty58 Mon 21-Dec-20 00:39:51

Given the virus situation, I can't blame them for closing their borders. Perhaps we should have?

news.sky.com/story/covid-19-ireland-joins-european-countries-in-banning-uk-travel-amid-new-coronavirus-strain-12168375

paddyanne Mon 21-Dec-20 00:54:10

we should have closed borders and stopped all flights in ,anytime Scotland mentioned borders there was an uproar Bojo even said there is no border.Seems he was wrong .It will be policedfrom tomorrow to stop the flood of traffic heading north.Of course English media was telling folk to head to Scotland ,very generous of them to want to share but honestly we'd rather they didn't and that includes Charlie and Camilla and the royal train trip.

Summerlove Mon 21-Dec-20 00:54:17

Nezumi65

I think our own sequencing labs have said it originated here.

Anyway according to bbc they’re not coming over here either. French lorry drivers worried about getting stuck here apparently. Should probably do some sort of shop tomorrow....

Careful, don’t want to be accused of panic buying

growstuff Mon 21-Dec-20 02:37:42

It's up to the UK government to ban incoming lorries. Other countries (not just France) have banned all incoming traffic and passengers from the UK.

MawBe Mon 21-Dec-20 06:19:33

From today’s DT

The Covid mutation feared to have “supercharged” the new strain of the virus first emerged in Brazil more than eight months ago, scientists have revealed

Studies show that the mutation, called N501Y, was spotted in the South American country in April, before later rearing its head again in Australia and the US

The mutation occurs in the spike protein, the part of the virus that attaches itself to cells and causes illness, and the part targeted by Covid-19 vaccines.

Government scientists increasingly believe N501Y – one of 23 separate mutations in the new strain – may allow the virus to pass itself on with up to 70pc more efficiency, perhaps by increasing the concentration of virus in the mouth and nose

Leading scientific advisers explained that the N501Y did not cause much alarm earlier in the year, because it failed to rip through populations on its own.

Nezumi65 Mon 21-Dec-20 07:27:05

Yes that’s talking about one of the changes in the new strain mawbee. Think there are around 23 changes (can’t remember exact number without looking) Maybe they have a different super spreading strain in Brazil a who knows although the spread despite lockdown seems to be a particularly common thing here. We had multiple introductions (largely from Italy) in the first phase of the pandemic - so it does make sense as to shut borders as early as possible (which we didn’t do).

I have seen lots of people saying they are off to the shops this morning. Given the BBC are saying that food supplies will be disrupted I reckon it will be chaos. I’m fortunate in that I did a huge (main) Xmas shop at the end of last week. And was able to get an early prescription for my son’s meds last week (thank god). I’m going to pop around to the Tesco express & coop and get some bits and pieces that I would usually buy every few days.

Daisymae Mon 21-Dec-20 07:39:15

The problem is that people are going to stock up which make things worse. Having said that, a lot of people will have their stocks sorted by now. In view of what's going on, we need to keep it in perspective.

Nezumi65 Mon 21-Dec-20 08:10:55

I think the BBC saying we’re going to run out of fresh food was probably particularly unhelpful from a panic buying point of view.

Iam64 Mon 21-Dec-20 08:17:53

paddyanne I accept you blame the English for all that is wrong in the world but - I haven't seen any media saying we should all go to Scotland. Have you?

vegansrock Mon 21-Dec-20 08:25:09

Did a shop at Aldi at 7 am and it was very busy, they were restricting quite a few items , so only letting you buy 4 of quite a few basics. Of course food stocks will be affected. We don’t need the BBC to tell us. 60% of our food is imported, plus there is stockpiling as people are concerned about a no deal Brexit, as they should be, going by this government’s current record of predictions.

ayse Mon 21-Dec-20 09:15:31

I’ve just been out to buy extra milk and veggies. Our Aldi was quiet and I’m just hoping what we have will now last. I was planning to go out early on Wednesday but given the current news I did a spot of ‘panic’ buying.

I do have plenty of toilet paper ?

TillyWhiz Mon 21-Dec-20 10:03:45

Uhoh there go the loo rolls again!

Gwyneth Mon 21-Dec-20 10:05:29

Where does it say that the English media have suggested everyone head for Scotland? The government are telling people not to travel so if the media are saying otherwise they are being completely irresponsible. Incidentally in non Covid times I’m guessing Scotland was quite happy to welcome the financial advantages to their economy of English tourists.

SillyNanny321 Mon 21-Dec-20 10:05:37

Got my online delivery yesterday so ok over Christmas & hopefully all the panic buying will be over in a few days. The only shortage that really worries me is as stated on News earlier things like lettuce may be affected. Not for me but for my very elderly (about 90 years old) tortoise. He is very picky in his old age & will only eat Spring greens that are unavailable now & lettuce. He has a tiny tomato every other day as they can be bad for him. So fingers crossed I still get lettuce for the poor old man. Yes I am mad but love the silly little boy!

Shortlegs Mon 21-Dec-20 10:07:06

Because of Covid? Ha Ha Ha!

Gwyneth Mon 21-Dec-20 10:08:06

By the way I’m Welsh but now live in England and I do get fed up of the ‘them and us’ attitude from some people. Surely we should all be supporting each other especially in the current climate.