Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Second vaccine .....

(108 Posts)
dragonfly46 Sun 04-Apr-21 08:59:53

Has anyone who has had the second Astra Zeneca vaccine found the side effects were not as bad the second time around?

dragonfly46 Sun 04-Apr-21 14:47:25

Nannan2 other countries are not refusing the Astra jab. We are not being fobbed off. That is scaremongering. You are unlikely to be offered the Astra jab if you have already had one Pfizer one so don't worry.

Casdon Sun 04-Apr-21 14:52:53

dragonfly46 The second vaccine from Pfizer is more likely to cause side effects than the first apparently, whereas the AstraZeneca one is more likely to give side effects after the first.
Here’s an article which may help.
www.theguardian.com/world/2021/mar/18/covid-vaccine-side-effects-what-are-they-who-gets-them-and-why

Juliet27 Sun 04-Apr-21 15:02:22

Rosalyn69

I had the Pfizer jab. I had 5 days of misery after the second jab.
I have always been convinced I had the virus in December 19. I was told by the doctor I had “a virus” and I was ill for a month with COVID type symptoms. Maybe just coincidence.

I remember on here after Christmas 2019 how so many of us were complaining about a cough we couldn’t get rid of. Maybe ...!!

MayBee70 Sun 04-Apr-21 15:07:02

Nannan2

My cleaner had Astra zeneca and said she felt like 'a train had hit her' for a few days(first jab) but her hubby had pfizer & just had a headache for a bit- us 3 in our house(me& 2 sons) had pfizer& 1 of us had slight headaches a few days, then ok, 2 of us fine really- if im offered Astra for 2nd jab ill refuse till they get pfizer in.ive already probably had covid clinic nurse said when i was so very ill at xmas 2019, but it wasnt a widely- known 'thing' then.And youngest son had a very bad reaction to pneumonia vaccine that lasted for over 2wks.So its pfizer for us.(if other countries wont have Astra, why should they fob it off on us Brits?)?

Why would you be offered an AZ jab if you’ve had a Pfizer one for the first one? There is so much misinformation about these vaccines. There is research being done into mixing and matching vaccines but it’s only if you put yourself up for the research. All medicines/drugs affect different people in different ways. Even aspirin can affect some people but no one thinks twice about taking that. I wonder how many people that are suspicious of vaccines drink alcohol or smoke?

Katyj Sun 04-Apr-21 15:44:12

I’m due my 2nd AZ vaccine in about 3 weeks absolutely dreading it. It brought on a migraine , I hadn’t had one for two years previously, just as that was easing I started with shivering and diarrhoea ! I’ve since had another migraine too. I’ll report back.

lemongrove Sun 04-Apr-21 16:32:44

My second jab next week ( Pfizer one) hoping for no ill effects but had two days of utter nausea last time and my arm is still not quite right ( feels like muscle strain) where I had the jab.

grannyrebel7 Sun 04-Apr-21 16:39:09

I've had both my Pfizer jabs and had no side effects whatsoever, not even a sore arm. Just goes to show it varies so much from person to person. A friend of mine had AZ and she woke in the middle of the night with a raging thirst and terrible headache. Seems to be the side effects are worse with AZ from what I've heard.

cornergran Sun 04-Apr-21 16:43:59

Mr C had no reaction to his first Pfizer jab, a sore arm and some tiredness after the second, nothing severe.

After my first AZ vaccination I was unwell for three days. Headache, aching, lethargy. It didn’t send me to bed, more irritating than anything. I have the second on 18th. I also read that there is less likelihood of a reaction after the second AZ so feel positive about it.

BlueBelle Sun 04-Apr-21 16:45:43

From what I ve been told if you had a bad reaction to the vaccine it is because your immune system needed that boost
And if the second one was worse than the first you needed the two to get your immune system up to speed

I don’t think that the side effects are any worse with AZ all of my friends who had AZ and myself had negligible effects however a few friends who had Pfzier did, I believe it’s about the individuals immune system , not the vaccine itself

dogsmother Sun 04-Apr-21 16:47:13

OH Had pfizer no reactions and is due his second next week.
Mine was Astra Z. And just a very sore arm, second due early May.

Largolass Sun 04-Apr-21 16:56:16

My DH had his 2nd AZ jab on Thursday and hasn't had any side effects, not even a sore arm.

I have my 2nd Pfizer in May

Franbern Sun 04-Apr-21 17:35:41

I have hd both doses of Astra Zeneca. First time only real side effect was extreme tiredness about 24 hours after the jab. After the second one, absolutely no side effects whatsoever, not even a slightly sore arm.

dragonfly46 Sun 04-Apr-21 18:37:08

That’s reassuring Franbern I have my second one on Friday.

BlueSky Mon 05-Apr-21 22:49:03

Read that they are now considered pausing the AZ for the under 30 in the UK. Surely it should be the under 50? I’m due to have my second soon but I’m far too old to worry about it.

MayBee70 Mon 05-Apr-21 22:57:54

That’s a blow. However will they now have the Moderna vaccine that probably hasn’t been given to millions of people?

Welshwife Mon 05-Apr-21 23:05:45

We have both had the first dose of Pfizer and neither of us had any symptoms. Second dose is due on 22April.
My DIL had the Moderna vaccine and was fine with the first dose but not well for a day or so with the second.
DD has had first AZ and been fine.
You would think that by now with so many people having had vaccine doses they would have been able to come to a conclusion as to which people are likely to have a reaction or maybe it is totally random.
Just glad to be vaccinated really!

SusieB50 Mon 05-Apr-21 23:26:38

I had my second Pfizer on Saturday .I had an awful headache for three days after the first dose, but this time I have had a very sore arm and a mild headache only for 24 hours .

grannysyb Tue 06-Apr-21 08:22:42

I am due my second Pfizer on Friday, DH had his last week, no reaction. My DD had her AZ three weeks ago, she is 50, she had one bad night, but was fine afterwards. She had a blood clot a couple of years ago, and was in anti consultants for a few months.

lemsip Tue 06-Apr-21 08:33:40

The sore arm is to be expected when a needle has pierced your arm and happens in most jabs so discount that as a covid vaccine side effect........

I have my second Pfizer jab tomorrow 7th. no side effects after first one, accept at point when needle went in! Hope it's the same with second.

silverlining48 Tue 06-Apr-21 08:39:18

We have both had two AZ vaccines. First was end January second 20 March. No sore arm or any problem whatsoever.

GoldenLady Wed 07-Apr-21 03:51:59

I had the Pfizer, the second one two months ago. I never get the slightest reaction to any vaccine, not even a sore arm from the flu shot (here in America it's a shot, not a jab), but after the second dose of this vaccine I had a pretty strong reaction for a day or two. It was like a bad case of flu. The worst symptom was the chilled feeling; no matter how many layers of clothing I put on, I couldn't warm up. I did have a slight fever. Anyway, it was worth it. At least I feel safe.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 07-Apr-21 15:12:20

We have just had a phone call from GP surgery for second jabs. DH at 10 week interval (Astra Zeneca) this Saturday and mine is tomorrow evening 9 week interval (Pfizer) .

Shinamae Wed 07-Apr-21 15:17:55

I had my first Astrazeneca vaccine January 27 and my second one yesterday, no side-effects either time. I have also had Covid twice with no symptoms..

lemsip Thu 08-Apr-21 07:55:33

Had second Pfizer jab yesterday, have to say my arm at point of jab is more 'achy'.
was asked if I had any side effects with first jab and I said no,,
was told that you sometimes do with second one. I thought, why tell me that. I shall be waiting for them now. But I'm okay thankfully.

lemongrove Thu 08-Apr-21 09:51:13

Meant to say ( to add to my previous post on here) that Mr L also had the Pfizer jab when I did, and had no ill effects at all.
We both have our second ones later this week, and am prepared for more arm pain and other effects, if the second is worse than the first.
Everyone has a different immune system, so we will all experience different reactions.