Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Have you been 'pinged'?

(90 Posts)
narg Mon 12-Jul-21 12:25:23

How many of you have been 'pinged'? Did you self isolate for the number of days notified to you? Is the system working?

Grannybags Mon 12-Jul-21 12:27:22

I downloaded the app as soon as it was launched and I've never been pinged - mind you I don't get out much!

aonk Mon 12-Jul-21 12:28:53

I have never used the app. My DH does but he has never been pinged. I’d like to add that I give my details if asked. I’ve stuck to all the other rules.

JaneJudge Mon 12-Jul-21 12:34:04

I've never been pinged. I wasn't even pinged when my son was confirmed positive on a PCR test

henetha Mon 12-Jul-21 12:35:07

No. No pinging here. I do live in the countryside though and don't much go to towns/cities.

MissAdventure Mon 12-Jul-21 12:37:32

I don't have the app, so no.

MerylStreep Mon 12-Jul-21 12:41:02

Never had the app and most people I know ( including the nurse next door) never had it.

Blinko Mon 12-Jul-21 12:43:55

I've just acquired a new more modern smartphone. I've just been pinged following a visit to Birmingham on the tram. Most people were wearing masks and I wasn't sitting near anyone either on the outward or on the return journey.

So for the safety of others, I must isolate for the next eight days (I assume the ping went two days after contact was detected). I've had to cancel bridge this afternoon, a hospital appointment tomorrow afternoon, a hair appointment on Wednesday and - most disappointing of all - a visit to London with my DiL and GD this coming weekend. It was to have been my most adventurous week since lockdown began.

Will different rules apply from next week, I wonder?

mokryna Mon 12-Jul-21 12:51:17

My daughter was pinged on her first holiday for 18 months, so she cut her short 6 day holiday after 3 days and went home to isolate. I really don’t understand, she has had covid twice, had the two Pfizer injections and worked on the front line.

Chewbacca Mon 12-Jul-21 12:58:37

Last week, DS & DIL drove the GC to the COVID testing place and both of them checked in with apps on their phones; none of them left their car. 24 hours later, they all received negative tests results. 24 hours after that, DS got pinged and was told to isolate for 10 days, as from the date they'd been at the testing centre and so had 8 more days to go. DIL, who had been at the same place, same time, same car, got nothing.

Blossoming Mon 12-Jul-21 13:04:33

I don’t have the app, tbh it doesn’t sound like it works very well.

Visgir1 Mon 12-Jul-21 13:49:51

Yep "pinged" just before Christmas, my 10 days up Christmas eve.
I was OK, think it was while shopping in London.
I know several people who have also been "pinged" all of them where OK as well.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 12-Jul-21 14:10:33

DH and I were pinged the day before Christmas Eve, told to isolate for three days, DD and GC were already here for Christmas and we had no reason to go out anywhere.

Worked it back to a restaurant where we had taken GS a few days before lockdown on 20th December.

flaxwoven Mon 12-Jul-21 14:33:11

A friend was pinged. She and husband had been out to a pizza restaurant, sitting far away from everyone. She and husband isolated for 10 days and took two Covid tests which were negative. No symptoms whatsoever.

Whiff Mon 12-Jul-21 14:35:04

I was pinged in February when my daughter and family got Covid. Isolated for 10 days and took test. Much to my surprise I was negative.

SpanielNanny Mon 12-Jul-21 14:36:49

My dil was ‘pinged’ to isolate for TWO days. It seemed pointless as she had spent the previous 8 days working, out and about etc, but she did. Traced it back to a cafe she’d been to with my son, he was never asked to isolate.

MissAdventure Mon 12-Jul-21 14:37:40

That's why I deleted the app.
It doesn't seem to have worked as planned from the word go.

timetogo2016 Mon 12-Jul-21 14:39:25

I have never been pinged,but i went for my 2nd vaccine today and the venue was shut,not happy .

GrandmaKT Mon 12-Jul-21 14:45:30

I was pinged last night, because I had been in a venue where others had been who later tested positive. But I was just told to take a test rather than self-isolate. Have they changed the procedure? I did a test and it was negative.

bikergran Mon 12-Jul-21 14:49:30

Not been pinged yet and on my 7th day of isolation (negative pcr result) but was away with dd and 2 gsons . dd and one gs tested positive, we travelled in same car slept in same room.

As yet "no ping" so no don't think the app is working, not for me anyway.

growstuff Mon 12-Jul-21 14:56:35

GrandmaKT

I was pinged last night, because I had been in a venue where others had been who later tested positive. But I was just told to take a test rather than self-isolate. Have they changed the procedure? I did a test and it was negative.

Did you do a PCR test? I didn't think the results came back so quickly. If it was a LFT, be aware they're not that accurate.

MissChateline Mon 12-Jul-21 14:58:19

My understanding is that it is not a legal requirement to have to isolate should you be “pinged”. Only a recommendation. It is a legal requirement to isolate if you are contacted in person by test and trace.
An immediate neighbour of mine on my terrace was pinged a few months ago. She is a home tutor and cancelled all her pupils for 10 days thereby losing all of her income. It later transpired that the Bluetooth signal connecting her to her neighbour on the other side who had tested positive had gone through the wall of their adjoining properties. (We can each pick up Wi-fi connections from adjoining homes) There had not been any physical connection whatsoever and unless COVID is able to wriggle its way through bricks and plaster my neighbour was not in any danger of contracting the illness.
On the grounds that this is not a very accurate system, I will not have it in my phone.

MissChateline Mon 12-Jul-21 15:16:09

From todays daily telegraph
Do I have to self-isolate if the NHS app tells me to?
Legally, no. If you are 'pinged' by the NHS COVID-19 app via a notification on your phone, there is no legal obligation to self-isolate. This is because downloading the app is voluntary and any instruction from it is simply guidance - rather than the law.

That is not to say you shouldn't be responsible and self-isolate anyways - it's just that there's no legal imperative for you to do so. However, if you are told via an email, text or phone call from the Test and Trace service, you must legally isolate.

Lucca Mon 12-Jul-21 15:23:31

What I do not understand is how on the one hand you have capacity crowds at Wimbledon and Wembley and on the other hand whole groups/bubbles/year groups sent home from school? Makes no sense.

GrandmaKT Mon 12-Jul-21 15:48:40

growstuff

GrandmaKT

Did you do a PCR test? I didn't think the results came back so quickly. If it was a LFT, be aware they're not that accurate.

No, I just did a lateral flow. If I develop any symptoms I will do a PCR test.