Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Is it ethical to require a vaccine passport for entry to a club?

(131 Posts)
maddyone Tue 20-Jul-21 10:45:53

Morning everyone. I have been listening to a bit of a debate on Jeremy Vine this morning, and the question of vaccine passports in order for entry to a nightclub was being discussed. Personally I don’t have a problem with this, but I’m 68, double vaccinated, and highly unlikely to go to a nightclub at this stage in my life. No, I’ll rephrase that, I’m more likely to fly to the moon than go to a nightclub now. Is it unethical to require a vaccination passport to go to a club (from September) as was suggested by one very cross young lady? What do you think?

GrannyGravy13 Tue 20-Jul-21 10:54:29

Listening to the PM and scientists at the briefing yesterday they implied that vaccine passports could be used in any crowded situation.

Will it be requiring for theatres, concerts and sporting events?

When I went on to my NHS App this morning my vaccine passport had appeared both for domestic use and abroad.

In my opinion this has been planned for some time.

As we are consistently being told that double vaccinated folks can also pass on Covid, are more likely to be asymptomatic I am struggling with the ethics of the whole vaccine passport idea.

Tricia247uk Tue 20-Jul-21 11:03:10

35% of 18-35 yr old have not even had a single dose of vaccine. Apparently the nightclub rule is to close that gap. But looking at the photos of maskless club goers taken at the reopening of the clubs, stable door, horse bolted springs to mind

vegansrock Tue 20-Jul-21 11:10:14

So it’s safe for unvaccinated people to go to nightclubs now, but it won’t be safe on September 1st? Does this make sense?

GrannyGravy13 Tue 20-Jul-21 11:23:28

vegansrock

So it’s safe for unvaccinated people to go to nightclubs now, but it won’t be safe on September 1st? Does this make sense?

It’s being used as a bribe to get the youngsters to have their vaccines.

westendgirl Tue 20-Jul-21 11:23:50

No Vegansrock, it doesn't, but then how much of what Johnson has done and said makes sense.?

Blossoming Tue 20-Jul-21 11:35:13

No, it isn’t ‘unethical’. There’s no automatic right of entry, they can refuse entry to anybody.

silverlining48 Tue 20-Jul-21 11:42:43

It’s my understanding that in Europe everyone needs to show a passport to get into any restaurant cafe theatre etc etc.
I think it’s a reasonable request, though frankly judging by yesterday’s tv news of mass clubbing from midnight think September is a bit too late. Horses and stables do come to mind.

Kamiso Tue 20-Jul-21 11:45:44

I don’t have a problem with it at all. We need to move forward and get on with life and this seems to be a way forward. I am looking forward to theatre trips, holidays and outings and will be reassured to know that people around me have been vaccinated.

We all owe so much to vaccines over the years with many many lives being saved. My Mum lost 5 siblings during her childhood and my Dad lost his only sibling to TB.

Most rational people have the vaccines offered, have their children vaccinated yet suddenly the Virologists want to kill us all off or turn us into drones? The power of the internet over the gullible is staggering.

silverlining48 Tue 20-Jul-21 11:46:46

A vaccine passport of course.

JaneJudge Tue 20-Jul-21 11:48:52

I think it is being used so that more people get vaccinated too, maybe I am cynical smile

Is it ethical the passport seems to require an app?

vegansrock Tue 20-Jul-21 13:20:22

What’s the betting there will be loads of fake vaccination passports - just like age ID youngsters have to have- a quick glance by a doorman is all they get. Not difficult to get around.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 20-Jul-21 13:24:44

vegansrock

What’s the betting there will be loads of fake vaccination passports - just like age ID youngsters have to have- a quick glance by a doorman is all they get. Not difficult to get around.

The passport that has appeared on my NHS App has one of those square pattern thingy’s which needs to be scanned

M0nica Tue 20-Jul-21 13:37:08

What has ethics got to do with it? Did she say? what ethic did she have in mind?

Smileless2012 Tue 20-Jul-21 13:40:44

No I don't think it's unethical. Unless there are medical reasons for not being able to have the vaccine, not doing so is a personal decision and as long as those who continue to refuse the vaccine are aware that doing so may limit their life style, so be it.

Deedaa Tue 20-Jul-21 13:49:49

Many people manage to live happy and fulfilled lives without going to night clubs. No one holds a gun to your head to make you go to one. If going to a club means having a vaccine passport so be it, it depends how desperate people are to go clubbing.

Jaxjacky Tue 20-Jul-21 14:03:10

It may extend to pubs and restaurants like France

news.sky.com/story/covid-19-vaccine-passports-for-pubs-minister-does-not-explicitly-rule-out-move-12359530

BlueBelle Tue 20-Jul-21 14:10:53

Ok I agree to a point but does that then mean anyone who can’t have a vaccine through no fault of there own, can’t go out with their mates

eazybee Tue 20-Jul-21 14:27:08

It is not unethical; the wait until Autumn is to give time for many more people to be vaccinated. I thought clubs could be as selective as they liked about who they chose to admit.
If the virus starts spreading among the 18-30 year age group, no doubt the clubs will be closed anyway.

BlueBelle Tue 20-Jul-21 14:28:50

It’s already done that eezybee my grandsons whole work team including him are poorly with it

muffinthemoo Tue 20-Jul-21 14:29:58

Requiring the vaccine passport for club entry is going to put a right spoke in the wheels of all the underage kids with a fake ID trying to get into clubs, poor lambs

Gwyneth Tue 20-Jul-21 14:32:12

It makes sense to be vaccinated if you are offered it and can have it exempting health reasons of course. If you want to go clubbing have the vaccination not a difficult choice.

Ilovecheese Tue 20-Jul-21 14:33:21

muffinthemoo that was my first thought too!

Gwyneth Tue 20-Jul-21 14:39:06

Clubs are selective. I can’t imagine for one moment they let in people who are very drunk or who are clearly underage so what’s the problem with only allowing those who are vaccinated once they have all been offered it? Perhaps we will then get to the point where people who cannot have the vaccination will be protected and then they too can safely attend clubs and large gatherings.

muffinthemoo Tue 20-Jul-21 14:44:50

Gwyneth

Clubs are selective. I can’t imagine for one moment they let in people who are very drunk or who are clearly underage so what’s the problem with only allowing those who are vaccinated once they have all been offered it? Perhaps we will then get to the point where people who cannot have the vaccination will be protected and then they too can safely attend clubs and large gatherings.

I was 13 the first time I got into a club and believe me, most young women of my generation have much the same story. The bouncers are readily distracted by a good bra.

I think it’s fine to expect proof of vaccination tbh and if I’m honest, I think it should be required to access pretty much everything. Proof or proof of exemption.