Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Christmas with the vaccine refusers??

(114 Posts)
Daisymae Sun 17-Oct-21 18:34:06

My DiL has refused the vaccine, initially saying she will see how things go. My DS is fully vaccinated along with GC. However my DiL's daughter who lives with them is also unvaccinated. I feel very uncomfortable having them over during the Christmas season. My DH is ECV we have been cautious so far, partly because of the virus and partly because of ongoing health issues. I think it's going to be a touchy subject. I don't want to fall out, but I know they think we're OTT. How are others managing?

FarNorth Tue 19-Oct-21 12:56:21

Worrying about being near an unvaccinated person is going to drive us all insane, we have to get on with things. Everybody will judge for themselves what is right for them.

The link given by Alegrias states that there is a reduced risk of infection from vaccinated people, even if they do have the virus, although that wears off with time.

'Judging for themselves' is what the OP and her husband want to do, and want to have it respected by their relatives.

The relatives want their choice to be respected so they should also respect the OP's choice.

FarNorth Tue 19-Oct-21 13:14:41

I bet they're not having the "I don't want to cause upset" conversation in their home?......

Think about this.

Wheniwasyourage Tue 19-Oct-21 16:07:11

AJKW

Why do they need to be vaccinated in order for your vaccine to be effective?
Why do they need to wear a mask if your mask is effective?
If the vaccine is a touchy subject don’t discuss it, but don’t force your willingness to accept an unlicensed vaccine onto them.

What do you mean, "unlicensed", AJKW? Of course all the vaccines offered to us are licensed and fully tested. Do we have to have this sort of stupidity all the time? Please check your facts before producing such nonsense and trying to alarm people.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 19-Oct-21 16:27:49

Wheniwasyourage all Covid vaccines currently in use have been licensed for emergency use I think they will be fully licensed in 2023.

Alegrias1 can you confirm or clarify please.

Alegrias1 Tue 19-Oct-21 16:30:17

Did someone call? grin

That's what I think too GG13. Not sure about the exact dates but unlicensed certainly doesn't mean untested.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 19-Oct-21 16:34:37

Alegrias1

Did someone call? grin

That's what I think too GG13. Not sure about the exact dates but unlicensed certainly doesn't mean untested.

Thank you grin

Wheniwasyourage Wed 20-Oct-21 16:15:47

Ok, I bow to superior knowledge that they are licensed for emergency use, but this is an emergency, and I stand by my opinion that they are not "unlicensed"!

effalump Wed 20-Oct-21 20:15:06

Daisymae Don't forget as a fully vaccinated person you are every bit a risk to your unvaccinated relatives. The government keep saying that the double vaccinated can still catch it and can still pass it on. It may stop you from getting it really bad but you can still pass it round. Are your u.v.'d relatives afraid of coming to visit?

Susysue Thu 21-Oct-21 01:14:59

Alegrias1

^People hospitalised in the current phase are largely unvaccinated.^

Who do people keep saying this when it isn't true? Comfort? Lack of understanding of Bayesian probability theory? Not understanding that rate isn't the same as absolute number?

All of it, probably. That and misleading headlines in the press.

In terms of raw numbers, more double-vaccinated people were hospitalised or died from Covid in England last month compared to un-vaccinated people.

But this is simply due to the fact eight in 10 adults — or 48.3million people — are fully vaccinated, leaving only a small number unprotected, and the vaccines are not 100 per cent effective.

www.msn.com/en-gb/health/medical/vast-majority-of-people-being-hospitalised-with-covid-are-unvaccinated/ar-AAOgLA7

Alegrias1, and you believe the daily mail and other fear mongering newspapers?? Why don't you speak to hospital doctors like my daughter who will confirm to you that that piece of news is utterly rubbish. The vast number of people now being hospitalised are the vaccine refusers, especially pregnant women who have chosen not to get vaccinated because they have believed the utter rubbish and lies spread in the media. They are now filling up ICU beds in hospitals, completely and utterly irresponsibly. Indeed some of them are having to have their unborn babies induced at 28 weeks as they have covid and are so ill. Totally ridiculous. Yes there will be people who are doubly vaccinated and end up ill. But the vast majority of these people do not end up in hospital, let alone ICU

Alegrias1 Thu 21-Oct-21 04:11:26

No susysue you are incorrect.

This is not scaremongering news, and I quoted the msn article to demonstrate how that is the case because they used data that showed one thing then had a completely contradictory headline. You are correct to say that most double vaccinated people don't end up in hospital, but that is not the same as saying most people in hospital are not vaccinated.

The "vast number" of people admitted to hospital are not vaccine refusers, they are double vaccinated people in older age groups. That doesn't mean the vaccine doesn't work, it means the vaccine does work but is not 100%.

It's a consequence of the huge number of older people who have been vaccinated, and certainly isn't vaccine denial. Trying to pretend otherwise is the fake news.

Susysue Thu 21-Oct-21 11:42:12

Alegrias1

No susysue you are incorrect.

This is not scaremongering news, and I quoted the msn article to demonstrate how that is the case because they used data that showed one thing then had a completely contradictory headline. You are correct to say that most double vaccinated people don't end up in hospital, but that is not the same as saying most people in hospital are not vaccinated.

The "vast number" of people admitted to hospital are not vaccine refusers, they are double vaccinated people in older age groups. That doesn't mean the vaccine doesn't work, it means the vaccine does work but is not 100%.

It's a consequence of the huge number of older people who have been vaccinated, and certainly isn't vaccine denial. Trying to pretend otherwise is the fake news.

Alegrias1, do you work or have relatives who are admitting people into hospital, as I do?? I have no idea where you are getting your info from but I think the accurate info is from those at the front line, like my daughter, an A and E trainee registrar. They are the ones who know the real truth and I can categorically advise you that it is the unvaccinated who are now in the majority being hospitalised and seriously ill

Alegrias1 Thu 21-Oct-21 11:55:03

Where am I getting my information from?

Well there's the BMJ : blogs.bmj.com/bmj/2021/08/25/significant-proportions-of-people-admitted-to-hospital-or-dying-from-covid-19-in-england-are-vaccinated-this-doesnt-mean-the-vaccines-dont-work/

And there's Public Health Wales: www.walesonline.co.uk/news/health/figures-explain-many-people-hospital-21217093

And there's Public Health Scotland: www.travellingtabby.com/scotland-coronavirus-tracker/vaccine

And of course, Public Heath England, while they still existed (page 12): assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/1019992/Vaccine_surveillance_report_-_week_38.pdf

Spice101 Mon 29-Nov-21 04:34:04

Personally it does not bother me having unvaccinated guests in the house. We were mixing before the vaccines became available taking various precautions. Now that most are vaccinated there should be less danger than when none of us were vaccinated.

I am not going to create a division between vaccinated or non vaccinated. Governments and others are doing a pretty good job of creating that divide IMO