Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

COVID cases on the brink of breaking 100k a day (Zoe Covid Study)

(387 Posts)
PippaZ Fri 29-Oct-21 13:01:30

With the Government refusing to implement a plan this weeks video gives us what we can do for ourselves.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hc7A1bVuSJU

growstuff Sat 06-Nov-21 07:37:53

Yes, there's a valley shape and, hopefully, deaths won't reach the heights of the two previous peaks, as a result of vaccinations.

This graph shows UK deaths. There are more details here:

coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/deaths

You can see the slight increase. You can also see how previous peaks have started. We don't have crystal balls, so we don't know what will happen. Hopefully, vaccinations will keep the increase down, but it still shows that rates haven't decreased, which is what we need.

Josianne Sat 06-Nov-21 07:51:05

growstuff

Calistemon

About a third of children in Year 6 are overweight or obese.

I can think of only one in DGC's school but the child is quite sporty too.
It must be regional as you say.

You can check the rate for your constituency here:

obesityhealthalliance.org.uk/data-map/

The average for England and Scotland is 22.4%
Wales 26.4%

That map pretty much says is all. My DGS are skinny rakes and live in Devon, one of the lowest areas for child obesity. But then they were healthy skinny rakes when in their London constituency too where they led a completely different lifestyle, so the American incidences of 4 times the number of kids in hospital with th coronavirus is still puzzling. Interesting to discuss, but maybe not for this thread.

Jaxjacky Sat 06-Nov-21 07:56:29

CvD66 Macron is also concerned, he will be speaking on
Tuesday.
www.france24.com/en/europe/20211105-macron-to-address-the-nation-on-tuesday-as-covid-19-cases-surge

Daisymae Sat 06-Nov-21 08:19:16

I can't help wondering if the current reduction in infections is due to the effects of half term. We all are aware of the delay between actions and the stats. I'm guessing that the picture will be clearer in a week or so.

Josianne Sat 06-Nov-21 08:22:47

Jaxjacky

CvD66 Macron is also concerned, he will be speaking on
Tuesday.
www.france24.com/en/europe/20211105-macron-to-address-the-nation-on-tuesday-as-covid-19-cases-surge

That's interesting, thank you. Especially as France has implemented so may rules and restrictions.
I think Macron is more worried about getting the economy sorted now, so he could concentrate on this issue in his speech. He is a forceful orator and hasn't addressed the nation for a while.

Daisymae Sat 06-Nov-21 08:23:44

With regards to the higher incidence of hospitalisation of children in America, a children's doctor mentioned in a letter to the Times last week that adolescents in this county are not given anti virals unless they are at deaths door while in the States them are given as a matter of course. I imagine that you would need to be hospitalised to access them, so maybe we are not admitting as many?

Josianne Sat 06-Nov-21 08:38:55

Good point Daisymae.
What ages in children are they vaccinating in the states now? I'm guessing if so many of their kids are falling sick they will need to start vaccinating at an earlier age.

growstuff Sat 06-Nov-21 08:56:49

It's 12 (same as UK), but they started vaccinating sooner.

growstuff Sat 06-Nov-21 08:58:12

www.nbcnews.com/science/science-news/covid-19-vaccine-rates-kids-slow-worrying-doctors-rcna3804

Although there are regional disparities, far more American children have already been vaccinated.

Josianne Sat 06-Nov-21 09:16:47

growstuff

www.nbcnews.com/science/science-news/covid-19-vaccine-rates-kids-slow-worrying-doctors-rcna3804

Although there are regional disparities, far more American children have already been vaccinated.

Interesting, thank you.

PippaZ Sat 06-Nov-21 09:33:07

The USA has approved the Pfizer vaccine for children over 5 although they are not vaccinating them currently.