Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Long Covid - a growing problem

(41 Posts)
FarNorth Sun 24-Apr-22 19:19:52

"Only 29% of UK Covid hospital patients recover within a year.

Of the 750,000 hospitalised, many still report fatigue, muscle pain, insomnia and breathlessness, with women worst affected"

www.theguardian.com/world/2022/apr/24/only-29-of-uk-covid-hospital-patients-recover-within-a-year?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other&fbclid=IwAR165Oy7Yc4d7SyxIfDySODlikQREk3XYCJ5JdWK6MtV-IGLhxIn_IuWcyw

MissAdventure Tue 03-May-22 08:14:03

I'm still on them and feel hellish. sad
As far as I know, I havent officially had covid, but I went through a terrible spate of acid reflux for a while.
My flat is awash with indigestion remedies, alongside omeprazole.

MerylStreep Tue 03-May-22 08:29:48

My friend had another investigation for her acid reflux.
The doctor was very aggressive with her.
He asked her if she was still drinking tea and coffee. She answered, yes. His reply to her was if your going to carry on drinking them your wasting my time

MissAdventure Tue 03-May-22 08:32:53

Ah, yes.
I had a phone appointment with a real charmer like that on Saturday.

I'm getting a bit fed up with it, actually.

Nannee49 Tue 03-May-22 09:37:27

flowersflowers*Marydoll and Missadventure * such a rotten thing to be suffering constantly. I've given up on getting any sense help from the GP and rootle around the internet for info.

There's a lot of woo woo stuff out there but also genuine, new research and helpful ideas that you can evaluate yourself as not being dangerous to incorporate into your day to give it a go.

If anyone's interested dr mark hyman/the doctor's farmacy podcasts is a good starting place. Apart from anything else, it's amazing what new clinical research is going on for all sorts.

MissAdventure Tue 03-May-22 09:40:23

Thank you.
I shall give him a look. smile

Joane123 Tue 03-May-22 10:29:40

Thank you for this thread. Nannee49 thank you also for your input, I really appreciate it.
I am convinced I had covid at the end of 2019 (I had a positive test for an infection) and had it again at the end of March (positive LFT tests for 6 days) the symptoms you state all ring true with me. It just drags on and on.

Pepper59 Tue 03-May-22 11:25:06

Thank you Nanee49. I will try your remedy. Unfortunately, like Marydoll I have Chronic Acid Reflux due to GORD, so am on permanent Omeprazole but at a low dose. The dr has just increased the dose due to my issues and Im just about drinking Gaviscon like juice . It's such a hellish condition Acid Reflux. My late MIL swore by Apple Cider Vinegar for a lot of things. Marydoll that sounds rough what you are going through. I hope you and everyone else on here can get respite from their symptoms. I gave up on doctors long ago, though the chap I saw recently was very nice. Unfortunately I've seen the other side like the poster whos doctor was rude about tea and coffee. It really puts you off going. Take care everyone and really wish you all get/ feel a bit better. Re tea and coffee, Ive found drinking decaffeinated helps and there are some lovely herbal teas now.

MissAdventure Tue 03-May-22 11:34:19

I have to be careful about taking anything as the "thing" that I have had/may have/didn't have has damaged my liver (probably exacerbated by dismissive gps telling me it was stress for 2 years)

MayBee70 Tue 03-May-22 11:35:23

I hadn’t realised how many people on gransnet, having escaped covid for so long, have recently had it. I’m still staying at home and being very careful but am beginning to feel very miserable with my self imposed exile and feel that I want to get back to the sort of normality that everyone I know seem to be living. But I feel there’s no escaping omicron if one ventures forth out into the world. Both DH and I admitted yesterday that we were both feeling rather depressed, and he does go out more than I do. People I have spoken to whilst walking the dog say they’ve had covid but don’t know how they caught it but then go on to say that when they go to the pub they sit at a table away from other people. But then people that I know take every precaution catch it too. I don’t know what to do. I really don’t want long covid.

Pepper59 Tue 03-May-22 11:45:56

Maybee, it's very difficult isn't it. I feel you have to try and strike a balance somewhere. I still wear my mask, no one seems to bother but I have noticed nobody bothers now. The difficulty for myself is, no Epidemiologist or politician has come out and said it's now at the endemic stage. Im just going to enjoy my summer and take things a day at a time.

Nannee49 Tue 03-May-22 12:16:14

If it's of any help, two of my close friends - in their 70's, fully vaccinated and extremely careful throughout- have both come down with covid over the last couple of weeks, both completely seperately and both involving all 3 & 4 generations of each family.

They all said it was like a bad bout of flu at first but have all recovered with seemingly no ill effects.

I suppose it is possible that's it's mutated into something handleable and perhaps would help you decide to find a different balance, as Pepper says, Maybee.

Hope you find a way through.

Nannee49 Tue 03-May-22 12:39:47

Joane123 I've posted the FB address of my long covid support group previously but I'll pop it here again, it's helped me a lot -
Post Covid19 Syndrome Support

Having just googled it, I think it is only accessible on Facebook but might be worth a look if you are on it.

rosie1959 Tue 03-May-22 13:09:34

Difficult to put into words but I do think it's important that all symptoms after having Covid are not ignored it could be something else totally unrelated.
My husband and I have lead pretty normal lives for the last 11 months or so deciding once vacinnated it was of little point worrying if we caught Covid or not. We both did catch it but it was a bit of a non event with very mild symptoms and worrying too much about long covid seems fruitless as it may never happen.
There does seem to be many bugs about at the moment which mimic Covid my daughter is suffering one now and waiting for a GP to call her.

polin Sat 05-Nov-22 06:32:35

My husband had covid and is left with a cough ,can he still have his covid booster

FannyCornforth Sat 05-Nov-22 06:38:58

You should contact your GP polin
It will depend upon how long ago he had Covid, I should think