Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

4th Covid Vaccine Refusal?

(209 Posts)
Welshy Mon 02-Jan-23 19:30:19

Is there anyone who has refused to have the 4th Covid Vaccine? I am due to have mine soon, but so undecided this time. I always get swollen lymph nodes near my collar bone.

Iam64 Tue 03-Jan-23 08:35:49

I’ve had every vax offered, including flu. I’m immuno suppressed and discovered there’s a new vax for shingles, which is not ‘live’ so safe for us. My gp sourced it and I had the two vax
My children are in their 30’s. Many of their group aren’t taking up either covid or flu immunisations. Complacency?

grumppa Tue 03-Jan-23 09:32:15

I have had every covid vaccine offered, and will carry on having them as they become available. No side effects apart from a tender arm, and on the two occasions I have tested positive I have been asymptomatic.

I also have the flu jab every year.

Farzanah Tue 03-Jan-23 09:47:21

I think it is foolish to refuse 4th vax without medical reason. I had the 4th which was an updated bivalent vaccine which offers better protection against omicron variants.
Wont prevent infection but offers a better chance of not dying if infected.

GagaJo Tue 03-Jan-23 09:55:38

I've had 4 full doses. 2 here, 2 overseas.

I'll have a 5th when invited to do so. I've seen what covid has done to my younger brother (life limiting and reducing illness). I don't want that to be me.

Forsythia Tue 03-Jan-23 09:58:26

My DH, a fit healthy man, has covid right now. He is never ill. He feels awful. We’ve had 4 jabs each. I feel rotten myself so I’m going to test.

I’d take more jabs if offered.

BlueBelle Tue 03-Jan-23 10:22:11

Redhead56

I will not be having another booster what is the point really it’s going around in circles. If the Covid variant symptoms are supposed to be so mild it begs the question why are there so many admissions with it. Our niece works in a hospital she says the wards are full of people with flu but only have symptoms of a cold.

Redhead may I answer your question with one possible reason A young friend probably late 30 s early 40 s has recently been very very ill with lung problems in hospital with CoviD …..she is a heavy smoker peoples life styles can make a lot of difference to hospital admissions

I m afraid I don’t believe your story about wards being full of people with flu but only symptoms of a cold…. hospitals DO NOT take someone in who is just lightly ill at all that just isn’t true

ShazzaKanazza Tue 03-Jan-23 10:23:06

I declined my fourth one and only had my flu jab. I had covid in 2020 and had my three vaccines so I think that’s enough. My DH had his fourth and was poorly in bed from it.
I am fit and healthy so I felt it wasn’t needed in my case. But if I was severely compromised I would take them all when offered.

Baggs Tue 03-Jan-23 10:28:10

the wards are full of people with flu but only have symptoms of a cold.

Perhaps I've missed something, but why do people who only have symptoms of a cold need to be in hospital even if it is actually flu?

I've never had flu but several members of my family have at various times. All of them sweated it out at home, even those who were too poorly to walk more than to the bathroom every now and then.

Baggs Tue 03-Jan-23 10:29:26

x posts, bluebelle.

Baggs Tue 03-Jan-23 10:31:38

Re smokers, it sounds as if it's the effects of smoking that are really the problem in that they exacerbate any other respiratory problems including, possibly, mere colds.

GagaJo Tue 03-Jan-23 10:35:07

BlueBelle
I m afraid I don’t believe your story about wards being full of people with flu but only symptoms of a cold…. hospitals DO NOT take someone in who is just lightly ill at all that just isn’t true

True enough. Ex has a very bad version of the lurgy going around which has turned into pneumonia. No beds available. Trying to manage it at home despite having breathing problems.

Elegran Tue 03-Jan-23 10:40:01

China is having a tremendous surge of CoVid cases, most of them are new variants, They chose to counter the original outbreak wiht masks and by isolating the population, both from other countries and from each other, and they didn't have an effective vaccine. Now that they have opened up internally and to the rest of the world, they are now where we were in 2020, with a largely unvaccinated population. Their new variants will reach us soon for sure - maybe here already - so when I am offered the latest vaccination, tailored to defend me against as many new versions as possible, I will be there like a shot.

Grannynannywanny Tue 03-Jan-23 10:40:11

Our niece works in a hospital she says the wards are full of people with flu but only have symptoms of a cold.

Redhead56 I’m not sure what you mean by that. Is your niece suggesting that patients are admitted to the hospital with just cold symptoms? Patients aren’t even admitted to hospital with flu unless they are severely ill and require treatment with IV drugs, oxygen, steroids etc.

My daughter is a frontline nurse in a major city hospital. Like most hospitals it is completely full and gridlocked due to a huge influx of admissions due to flu, covid and norovirus. All these patients require in patient treatment or they wouldn’t be there.

Hetty58 Tue 03-Jan-23 10:45:06

Welshy, - swollen lymph nodes? Really? With the NHS already failing to cope, the rising tide of winter infections, people dying waiting for an ambulance - you worry about minor side effects?

volver Tue 03-Jan-23 10:48:48

Elegran

China is having a tremendous surge of CoVid cases, most of them are new variants, They chose to counter the original outbreak wiht masks and by isolating the population, both from other countries and from each other, and they didn't have an effective vaccine. Now that they have opened up internally and to the rest of the world, they are now where we were in 2020, with a largely unvaccinated population. Their new variants will reach us soon for sure - maybe here already - so when I am offered the latest vaccination, tailored to defend me against as many new versions as possible, I will be there like a shot.

most of them are new variants

Not sure that's true. Evidence?

with a largely unvaccinated population

Definitely not true.

nanna8 Tue 03-Jan-23 10:57:41

The Chinese government claims approx 90 % of their people are vaccinated which is pretty good when you look at the size of their population. Who knows if that is the truth or not ? As for new variants they can actually occur absolutely anywhere and whether they are specifically coming from China we will probably never know.

Kate1949 Tue 03-Jan-23 11:17:52

Can anyone answer this please? We both had our 4th jab in October. The NHS COVID site is saying that we are now able to book a fifth. We have heard that you have to wait 6 months or so after having one. Does anyone know?

PinkCosmos Tue 03-Jan-23 11:25:41

I had my fourth one in December and just had a sore arm for a day or so. I never had this with previous injections so maybe it depends on the skill of the person giving the injection.

I have no health issues and have had Covid twice - both times following a holiday. Both times it was no worse than a normal cold.

I have no serious health issues so I was a bit doubtful about having the fourth vaccination. To be honest, the thing that swayed me was the fact that we like going abroad and different countries have different entry requirements re. Covid. These may longer be required but I didn't want to take a chance. I appreciate that this will sound trivial compared to people with serious health issues.

My SIL is very anti-vacc and has not had any Covid vaccinations. She had Covid a few months ago and was fine. Maybe she was lucky but she is even more anti-vacc now.

Ziplok Tue 03-Jan-23 11:26:05

I will continue to have one when invited to, just like I do the flu vaccine. Seems a sensible precaution to me. (Obviously, I know some people can’t have one for various reasons, but that’s different). If you don’t have seriously adverse reactions, then I personally think it’s wise to have one.

GagaJo Tue 03-Jan-23 11:28:44

volver

Elegran

Definitely not true.

Quite Volver. All of my China, based Chinese friends, are vaccinated. Think the Chinese vaccine is less successful than the Western ones, BUT everyone I know (and their families, including the very elderly) have had it.

Baggs Tue 03-Jan-23 11:45:05

Ziplok

I will continue to have one when invited to, just like I do the flu vaccine. Seems a sensible precaution to me. (Obviously, I know some people can’t have one for various reasons, but that’s different). If you don’t have seriously adverse reactions, then I personally think it’s wise to have one.

Severe lockdown policies would seem not to have worked too well, then.

Baggs Tue 03-Jan-23 11:45:33

Sorry, ziplock. I quoted the wrong post.

Baggs Tue 03-Jan-23 11:46:01

GagaJo

volver

Elegran

Definitely not true.

Quite Volver. All of my China, based Chinese friends, are vaccinated. Think the Chinese vaccine is less successful than the Western ones, BUT everyone I know (and their families, including the very elderly) have had it.

Severe lockdown policies would seem not to have worked too well then.

Quokka Tue 03-Jan-23 12:23:40

Just roll the dice!

grannysyb Tue 03-Jan-23 12:40:35

Well, as I have an autoimmune skin condition, I have had six jabs and DH has had five. The only jab which caused a reaction was number four, slept for two days! We've just had flu, despite both being jabbed, I think it would have been much worse if we hadn't had them. My stepdaughter is a consultant in intensive care in an East London hospital, the wards are full of flu and covid patients, a patient in their early thirties recently died from flu, its always been a killer for some unfortunate people.