Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Am I an ass?

(60 Posts)
Becksnana Thu 01-Feb-24 19:03:19

My 37 yo daughter is having her 1st and only baby this spring. She gave me a list of vaccines today that I need to have before I can get close to the baby. I'm okay with all but one of them. Am I an ass because of how I feel? By the way I am the only person (including the father) that has been there every time she's upset during this pregnancy. Don't tell me that's my job because I raised her to an adult and my "job" does not have to continue passed that.

Desdemona Thu 01-Feb-24 19:09:28

A list of vaccines? What are they?

hazel93 Thu 01-Feb-24 19:11:47

Assume this is a joke. Very sad.

tanith Thu 01-Feb-24 22:13:03

What!!!!

Shelflife Thu 01-Feb-24 22:33:18

Becksnana, is this for real? Which vaccinations is your daughter insisting you have? This is bizarre!

BlueBelle Thu 01-Feb-24 22:39:34

List of vaccines what the …. is that about ??
Seven grandkids and never been told or asked to have any vaccines

granfromafar Thu 01-Feb-24 22:40:20

Yes

silverlining48 Thu 01-Feb-24 22:51:03

If it’s only one you don’t want to have then she needs to persuade you why it’s important.
Wouldn't you already have had these anyway, there is only so many we have.

Casdon Thu 01-Feb-24 23:01:31

My take on this is that this baby is going to be very precious to your daughter, and she wants to protect the baby from being infected with a preventable disease. As a grandmother I’d want to do that too, I’d never forgive myself if I passed something serious that I could have prevented on to somebody else, but particularly to a baby..
Your daughter is in charge in this situation, so either you take the vaccinations, assuming they are Public Health endorsed, or you resign yourself to not having close contact with your granddaughter whilst she is at her most vulnerable.

Lilypops Thu 01-Feb-24 23:09:42

I think there was a very similar thread about this a couple of years ago , ????

Callistemon21 Thu 01-Feb-24 23:11:17

But what vaccines?

A current flu vaccine would seem to be sensible
If we've had childhood illnesses we should remain immune to such diseases as measles, rubella, mumps.

Whooping cough vaccines are sometimes recommended but babies have that vaccine with other vaccines when they are weeks old.
Pregnant mothers are advised to have the whooping cough vaccine to protect the unborn child.

This seems to be rather an over-reaction.

Why does your DD keep getting upset? Is she naturally very anxious?

BlueBelle Thu 01-Feb-24 23:11:35

Casden but what vaccines?
Flu, pneumonia, shingles and coronavirus aren’t they all what you ve already had or having annually

What else ?

Callistemon21 Thu 01-Feb-24 23:12:45

My 37 yo daughter is having her 1st and only baby this spring

How can she be sure it will be her only baby?

Casdon Thu 01-Feb-24 23:14:32

BlueBelle

Casden but what vaccines?
Flu, pneumonia, shingles and coronavirus aren’t they all what you ve already had or having annually

What else ?

I did say the ones recommended by Public Health BlueBelle, I’d assumed that’s what Becksnana’s daughter is asking for her to have?

Callistemon21 Thu 01-Feb-24 23:24:06

Shingles - would a baby be in contact with the shingles rash which is the only way to catch chickenpox from shingles.? Would anyone go near a new baby if they had shingles?

Pneumonia??
Covid? Presumably up to date
Flu - ditto.

The best thing would be for the baby to be breastfed if that is possible.

Sago Fri 02-Feb-24 09:05:25

It’s got to be a windup.

rosie1959 Fri 02-Feb-24 09:53:16

Never heard of this one before is your daughter extremely anxious?

Purplepixie Fri 02-Feb-24 09:56:15

Vaccines? I have never heard of this before. What vaccines? Is this a joke thread?

Callistemon21 Fri 02-Feb-24 09:57:29

Sago

It’s got to be a windup.

Not another one 😁

Ali08 Fri 02-Feb-24 10:05:40

I was not asked, nor required, to have any vaccinations when any of my grandchildren were born,including the last one. Maybe the mum has mixed up some advice given to her from a doctor or nurse!

Parsley3 Fri 02-Feb-24 10:09:54

Is it that you have refused to have any vaccines before now and your daughter thinks it is time you did? That would make some sort of sense.

Casdon Fri 02-Feb-24 10:25:09

It might be that OP hasn’t had the diseases to provide immunity, or any vaccinations at all for ones we are protected against in childhood, eg TB, polio, chicken pox, measles etc. for example in the the current measles epidemic I would want to make sure anybody coming into contact with my baby was protected until the baby has its own vaccinations?

RosiesMaw Fri 02-Feb-24 10:31:37

Callistemon21

Sago

It’s got to be a windup.

Not another one 😁

Is BrendafromBristol a member of GN?

annodomini Fri 02-Feb-24 10:35:14

If this OP was from a tropical country I might be able to see some reason for this strange request. Rabies vaccine perhaps?

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 02-Feb-24 10:40:30

If this was a genuine poster they would have responded to the request for information about what vaccinations were required.