Gransnet forums

Culture/Arts

A discussion of the possibility of an enhanced virtual cruise

(99 Posts)
StarDreamer Thu 04-Aug-22 16:00:07

The concept of virtual cruise threads seems to be working well.

The Virtual cruise from Mainz along the river Main Click here to view is going well and has several active participants and maybe there are also other people reading, watching the linked videos, and enjoying the virtual cruise.

I have various ideas for future virtual cruises, such as the Valley of the Loire in France, first gathering in Paris and then travelling to the cruise ship by TGV train.

I have an idea that I put forward in this thread for consideration please, wondering if it might appeal to readers, yet wondering if it might be a virtual event too far.

So here is the idea.

Could we have a virtual cruise in a place where participants do not know the language, but we simultaneously try to learn some of the language using the free Duolingo course?

Proceeding slowly, at the pace of the slowest, starting to use the language bit by bit aboard the virtual cruise as we learn from the Duolingo course and explore the country.

For example, if we are taught how to say Good morning in the language in the course then we sometimes use it in the virtual cruise thread.

One needs to register, free, to continue after the first lesson in
Duolingo. Duolingo by default sets your profile to public, but it can be made private.

So can we discuss whether people like the idea of a cruise with language learning please?

If interested, please suggest ideas for where to go and which language.

I have thought of two possibilities thus far, but I will not mention them yet.

There can be an ocean going cruise ship as well as a river cruise ship if that is what is needed.

Here is a link to the languages available on Duolingo.

LINK > Doulingo courses

MissAdventure Sun 07-Aug-22 16:25:58

Perhaps not the type of joking that argy people enjoy.

There is room for all types of people and humour, (or lack of) here.

Not attacking anyone, obviously; purely discussing things, as the title suggests. smile

Shirley48 Sun 07-Aug-22 16:19:52

Shirley48

www.gransnet.com/forums/chat/a1304199-A-Very-Argy-Christmas

www.gransnet.com/forums/chat/a1311176--The-Argy-Re-Opens-Lubbly-Jubbly-Celebrations

www.gransnet.com/forums/chat/1295694-The-Argy-Conglomerate

I keep trying to explain that The Argy is / was a virtual bar around which various threads were based - it was very popular with quite a few gransnetters, but not everyone was able to relate to the humour / disliked it / did not join in. That is the nature of threads - not everyone likes the same things - no matter how many times the idea is suggested.

Lucca Sun 07-Aug-22 16:15:19

StarDreamer

I have now started a thread for the non-Argy virtual cruise from Venice along the river Po.

LINK > www.gransnet.com/forums/culture_arts/1313983-Virtual-cruise-from-Venice-along-the-river-Po-with-the-option-to-learn-some-Italian

The reason for the delayed start is so that the virtual cruise from Mainz along the river Main can continue uninterrupted towards and then at its destination of Bamberg and any side trips both from Bamberg and during the transit from Bamberg to Venice can take place unhurriedly.

LINK > www.rome2rio.com/map/Bamberg/Venice#r/Train

Ok. Just checking that by non Argy you mean no banter/joking? I’m not attacking you… (although I do feel I shouldn’t have to specify that..just dont fancy being deleted) just asking.

If you’re planning Italian learning this you may need to tone down the not mentioning non vegan food…they aren’t big on that in Italy !

Chewbacca Sun 07-Aug-22 15:59:35

Maw I think I addressed your post @ 15.22 today in my posts @ 21.21 and 21.25 yesterday and I've nothing more to add to them really, except that, like many others, I enjoyed my time in the Argy Bar when Lemon was running it but, I can accept that it's a niche humour that not everyone understands, enjoys or appreciates.

MissAdventure Sun 07-Aug-22 15:35:43

smile
That's good.

StarDreamer Sun 07-Aug-22 15:23:42

I have now started a thread for the non-Argy virtual cruise from Venice along the river Po.

LINK > www.gransnet.com/forums/culture_arts/1313983-Virtual-cruise-from-Venice-along-the-river-Po-with-the-option-to-learn-some-Italian

The reason for the delayed start is so that the virtual cruise from Mainz along the river Main can continue uninterrupted towards and then at its destination of Bamberg and any side trips both from Bamberg and during the transit from Bamberg to Venice can take place unhurriedly.

LINK > www.rome2rio.com/map/Bamberg/Venice#r/Train

MawtheMerrier Sun 07-Aug-22 15:22:37

Oh, and "Argy" means argumentative. "Non Argy" is not argumentative

Chewbacca why are you insisting on this when by general consensus the tone of the Argy was banter, fun, a bit of a larf on a virtual night out?
To equate what has been referred to as “Argy style” - whatever that is, with argumentative/non-argumentative is just misleading .
Can you find or quote one post from any of the Argy threads which is argumentative ?

Joseanne Sun 07-Aug-22 15:19:00

Then a bit of rôle playing where one poster could be the waiter and the rest could place orders.
I think it is important to get many posters interacting.

MawtheMerrier Sun 07-Aug-22 15:17:36

MissAdventure

Nobody is restricting your rights.
Make another thread with the kind of thing you enjoy.

The thread is entitled
“A Discussion of the possibility of an enhanced virtual cruise”
The clue is in the word discussion

Joseanne Sun 07-Aug-22 15:16:09

I think Italian cookery would teach lots of useful stuff - ingredients, preparation, cooking, tasting.
Names of vegetables, fruits etc
Verbs like cut, slice, roast, mix, peel, pour etc
Adjectives like delicious, sweet, soft, refreshing etc

Lucca Sun 07-Aug-22 15:12:49

MissAdventure

Heavens ray art was only asking.

Lucca Sun 07-Aug-22 15:07:46

Chewbacca

^Buddy, you are not coming across as a superb diplomat at all. You are coming across as passive aggressive and controlling.^

As are you actually RayArt; if you dont want to join us on the virtual cruises, or join in on the Duolingo courses, you're perfectly free to abstain or start one yourself. Those of us who do join StarDreamer on them are perfectly happy with the content as it is and are grateful for his gentle directions.

Oh, and "Argy" means argumentative. "Non Argy" is not argumentative. Hth.

Not argumentative . Not in this case. It refers to the long running and very amusing Argy nightclub threads. The French cruise had some elements of this mixed in with culture. It was also very amusing.

Joseanne Sun 07-Aug-22 14:57:58

I might participate, I might not.
Fresh pasta making.
Pannacotta, my favourite
Lots of peppers, olives, courgettes and tomatoes.
There's so much scope to have fun and learn.
? ?

StarDreamer Sun 07-Aug-22 13:49:07

On the matter of food that has been raised about the virtual cruise from Venice and along the river Po, with the option to learn some Italian, what opinions do the people who hope to participate in the virtual cruise have please?

StarDreamer Sun 07-Aug-22 12:33:35

I am delighted to say that I have managed to delete the advanced placement that I had received for Italian.

I removed the course from my profile, then added it again and I got a fresh copy.

That means that I can do the Italian course from the start along with other participants on the virtual cruise.

The way to do it is tucked away under Learning language and then under Manage courses.

Yes! Excellent.

StarDreamer Sun 07-Aug-22 10:29:53

Yesterday I wrote And the MoMA design shop sends me emails of products that they are selling and although I haven't bought any yet I find looking at what is on offer interesting.

Here is a link to one which was mentioned in an email yesterday.

LINK > store.moma.org/holiday/holiday-cards/winter-village-holiday-cards---set-of-8/16049-803674.html

There is a linked video.

All in a 7 inch by 5 inch card.

The video is good and here it got followed by another video showing the making of a pop up card.

LINK > www.youtube.com/watch?v=92c3sV785rA
> Fireworks Holiday Cards by Keisuke Unosawa | MoMA Design Store

Then this was offered at the side of the page.

LINK > www.youtube.com/watch?v=05FEzSCBGoM
> 12 Pop-Up Paper Sculptures by Peter Dahmen

This really needs a thread of its own.

MissAdventure Sun 07-Aug-22 01:41:55

RayArt Sun 07-Aug-22 00:57:29

You assume wrongly. Over 200 nationalities in New York all from a country with a flag.

You say: "Because the principle means more than fitting in with what is wanted or required by others. Same with me and my beliefs about food."

Sure, on an individual basis. But you are in a discussion forum here and carrying on discussions with people who don't share your beliefs about food. If you insist that something in a pluralistic community has to be vegan, nobody can mention food unless its vegan, you are denying people the right to speak freely about things they derive pleasure from. Food is pleasurable for most people. You are asking people to stay silent to appease what is a minority view. It's clear you have supporters who are prepared to go along with that. But at the same time I can see you are keen to encourage more people to participate in your activities so why not bend to allow people the freedom? I can't think of any other discussions which start here which have conditions. In fact, you talk about discrimination. Aren't you discriminating against omnivores?

Can I ask you to call off your watchdogs who seem very quick to allege bullying and unpleasantness. I've noticed this elsewhere. They are also trying to suppress free speech and opportunities for an honest exchange of views. There was this piece in last Saturday's paper.

www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2022/jul/30/you-cant-say-that-how-to-argue-better

Adam Grant writes:

"If two people always agree, at least one of them is failing to think critically or speak candidly. A difference of opinion doesn’t have to threaten a relationship, it can be an opportunity to learn. The people who teach you the most are the ones who question your thought process, not the ones who validate your conclusions."

I am questioning your thought process about restricting the rights of others. I hope you afford me the courtesy of considering what I have said and consider too that the supporters you have, always trying to shut people down by alleging bullying and unpleasantness is not healthy for discussion. You did ask for a discussion.

StarDreamer Sat 06-Aug-22 23:57:20

Right, the team representing the United States of America does not dip the stars and stripes.

StarDreamer Sat 06-Aug-22 23:54:59

Well, I suppose that I assumed, possibly wrongly, that as you are in New York that you are American.

RayArt Sat 06-Aug-22 23:51:58

My national team?

StarDreamer Sat 06-Aug-22 23:49:46

At the olympic games, your national team does not dip its flag when every other country's team dips their flag.

Because the principle means more than fitting in with what is wanted or required by others.

There is something rather magnificent about the image of all those flags dipped and there is the stars and stripes vertical.

Same with me and my beliefs about food.

RayArt Sat 06-Aug-22 23:33:43

No unpleasantness. Just trying to persuade Stardreamer to be a little more flexible about food if there's a language trip and it sounds like he might be. Also trying to find out what was meant by Argy style. All done now.

MissAdventure Sat 06-Aug-22 23:20:30

Oh, are we off again, causing unpleasantness?
I'm afraid diplomacy isn't a strong point of mine.

RayArt Sat 06-Aug-22 22:05:38

Thank you. It's looks like a friendly and popular place. I'll look forward to when it next opens.