Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

Monday 4th February weigh in.

(47 Posts)
glassortwo Mon 04-Feb-13 07:49:28

Monday again folks.

Hope everyone has a better week. smile

janeainsworth Mon 04-Feb-13 16:23:43

Grannylin I think exercise makes a big difference to shape - perhaps that's what is happening with you?
I've been trying to lose weight for the last year but I have found it very slow - it's taken me all that time to lose 4kg which isn't a great deal.
But since being retired I've been able to exercise a lot more and it all seems to have gone from my hips, and thighs seem more toned too - quite gratifying really smile

Grannylin Mon 04-Feb-13 18:39:03

I think jane that the opposite has happened with me.When I retired 4 years ago I started running regularly and got quite toned too.However I've now got an arthritic hip and am having a replacement next month!sadI think my toned muscles have disappeared and this diet is struggling to get rid of my ever increasing fat!

glassortwo Mon 04-Feb-13 21:10:11

tegan you will get a lovely surprise next week when you are back at work, you have made a good start with your stretching and Yoga. If the weather is good tomorrow why don't you just have a wander to the end of your street and back, get you back into the world ready for work next weeksmile

jane & grannylin doesn't matter how little you lose it all adds up.

grannylin are you exercising as when you first start exercising your body holds fluid while it is build muscle so it could be that, what are you eating on your other 5 days? I dont think you have a lot to lose by the look of you, and maybe your calorie intake could be too high on your non fasting day (sorry that's just my take on the 5:2 as I have never done it so I could be talking nonsense) but I find that the fat shifts places grin

This week 5. 1/4lbs lbs

Total to date 2 stone 1/4lb

Grannylin Mon 04-Feb-13 21:28:44

I think you are right glass.It's definitely shifting around grin

GrannyK Tue 05-Feb-13 09:28:21

Very happy to have lost half a pound this week , which means I am circling the 58 kilo mark. Have no intention of going much lower than this , though it is good to have some wriggle room around the weight , so I don't panic if invited out to dinner/ have to eat sandwiches etc etc

Well done everyone on the thread . Not sure if I have said recently how much I appreciate having it there to refer to every week .....? Well, I do !

Riverwalk Tue 05-Feb-13 10:01:05

I'm down 1lb smile

I made 'free' soups which are very tasty and filling, and useful to have in the fridge when the urge to eat is irresistible!

mrshat Tue 05-Feb-13 12:24:29

I've stayed the same this week for which I am grateful! A meal out, a cream tea and a cheese and olive bread 'snack' are my confession! Will try harder next week (but have a lunch out today and a dinner out tomorrow!) hmm

glassortwo Tue 05-Feb-13 14:07:18

grannyK well done good to have that little bit of wriggle room. smile
river that soup is handy to have in when you need something quick and I love using up whats left of the veg, its never the same twice in a row, well done.
mrs hat you have done well to maintain, enjoy your lunch and dinner. grin

I am not expecting anything at all tonight, Friday celebrating lasted all weekend and included a spider man cake but that's another story. wink

I hope notso is having a good week with the 5:2 diet she was trying, miss her cheery posts sad

This week 6. 3/4lbs lbs

Total to date 2 stone 1 3/4lb

glassortwo Tue 05-Feb-13 19:24:21

Well how on earth did I manage to lose 1/2lb with the wine and meals out and cake I have had this week I am amazed.

This week 7. 1/4lbs lbs

Total to date 2 stone 2 1/4lb

Marelli Tue 05-Feb-13 19:42:26

Got some Horlicks Light, glass. Couldn't find Options in our wee shopping centre but Horlicks Light has more or less the same calorie content. I shall give my drinking chocolate away...sad. My daughter and her friend ate the Christmas cake....at one sitting. My girl has a BMI of 20....hmm

glassortwo Tue 05-Feb-13 19:44:42

That's the way marelli bet they enjoyed it grin oh I could just eat.... no don't think about it.

Sewsilver Tue 05-Feb-13 21:08:14

Sba and Phoenix , sorry you both having a hard time. I've put on 1lb as my appetite is at last slowly returning. DH getting wonderful support from hospice which means I'm feeling a bit less stressed and burdened. Returning appetite seems to be for unhealthy food which means I need to watch I don't balloon. However after such a big and sudden loss I 'm just trying to eat and not worrying too much what it is. Haven't been on GN for a few days and wonder what is going on ?????? Surprised to find all kinds of conflict. Glad this thread so friendly and supportive.

glassortwo Tue 05-Feb-13 21:25:58

sew its good to see you smile and great that you are felling a little more relaxed, and yes it has been a strange week on Gn but all quiet here smile

Sbagran Tue 05-Feb-13 21:41:36

Sew it is so good to hear you are feeling less stressed and burdened - you and DH have been through (and are still going through) a really difficult time so feel my support and all the support from your fellow losers (or gainers or stayputers!) flowersflowersflowers You both remain in my thoughts and prayers and it is good to hear you are getting good support from the Hospice.

Compared to you, and many others, I am not going through a hard time - just a bit stressful at work, a bit stressful at home, dark miserable days and a seemingly endless winter are all taking their toll! However, as Arny Schwartz said "I will be back!" and I will be back on track in March after my self-imposed time out!

Like you I feel there is always compassion and support on this thread - sadly there is so much bickering on some other threads that I don't even bother reading them as I can't be doing with hissy-fits and bickering! grin
I am sure all of us losers can remain polite and encouraging to each other, long live this lovely thread and three cheers for Glass! flowers

glassortwo Tue 05-Feb-13 21:52:49

sba flowers sunshine

Grannylin Tue 05-Feb-13 21:56:49

I second that wineflowers..and some for you too sew,nice to have you here againflowers

Wheniwasyourage Wed 06-Feb-13 17:44:07

sew, you shouldn't be too hard on yourself; there are times when comfort eating is the right thing to do flowers. I've been doing it myself (that's what chocolate was invented for, and I'm sure Fair trade chocolate either has fewer calories or else they are better calories) but for some reason I cannot understand, I have lost 700g this week. I expect it's the cold weather getting into the scales and that I will have shot up again by next week, but Glass, please add it to the total in the meantime! Thanks and three cheers indeed for you and your encouraging messages!

glassortwo Wed 06-Feb-13 19:19:03

celeb we are all here, you were on last weeks thread grin

where are all the weighers?/

lost another 2lb !! weigh in with nurse today.

so pleased when been away weekend, must been acquacise and healthy tea last night"!!

Well done another 2lb smile

This week 9. 1/4lbs lbs

Total to date 2 stone 4 1/4lb

glassortwo Wed 06-Feb-13 19:26:14

When Scientific fact that dark chocolate is good for you, it obviously is when you can still lose grin

This week 11 lbs

Total to date 2 stone 6lb

celebgran Wed 06-Feb-13 20:47:13

here goes was on wrong thread as usual, lost another 2lb!!!!
so pleased as been away weekend. did swim 10 lenghts after acquacise and swim in pool Sat and Sun while away so must have helped!!
total loss so far 8 and half pounds since Jan 4th Yipeeeee

celebgran Wed 06-Feb-13 20:48:45

Marelli we love the choc Horlicks light of course!!