Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

Naturally slim people to post

(166 Posts)
overthehill Tue 09-May-17 14:39:23

Hi you slim people I'm envious

I'd be very interested if you wouldn't mind listing exactly what you eat on an average day.

Perhaps this could give me an insight into where I'm going wrong

ninathenana Tue 09-May-17 15:04:17

It's not all down to what you eat in a day I worked with a girl (both in our twenties at the time) who weighed about 7st and would only wear trousers as she said her legs were too skinny. She sat at a desk all day and did no exercise.
She ate all day long sweets,crisps, chocolate and a hearty lunch.
Some people are just born this way, sadly I ain't one of them.

Christinefrance Tue 09-May-17 19:12:56

In my mind I am a slender 12 and can eat choc and crisps whenever I want. In reality I am a size 18 and should stop eating junk. I was always slim until I hit 40 then it was all downhill.

Cherrytree59 Tue 09-May-17 19:48:05

I'm afraid I'm not a slim bod so unable to help.

When I get to the stage of 'nothing fits'
then slimming world beckons!

Infact I can actually here it calling my name
But first I need to finish the box of mini magnums.blush

Cherrytree59 Tue 09-May-17 19:48:55

Hear!!

Izzywizzy Tue 09-May-17 21:05:41

Hi Overthehill,
At 9st 3lb I'm not sure if that's classed as slim these days. I used to be 8st when I was in my 20s 30s and 40s so I do feel bigger.
For breakfast I have tea and 2 slices of toast with marg and marmalade .
Lunch 2 egg omelette and half tin beans.
Tea and one biscuit in afternoon
Dinner salmon,veg,rice or spag boll or chicken,spuds and veg.
Sometimes a pud of say rice pudding or sponge and custard
Tea and biscuit or a cake!
Evening is when I'm likely to snack and it would be a bag of hoola hoops or half a bar of caramac,bottle of water.
Is that the sort of thing you wanted to know?
I do eat out most weeks and we have fish and chips about every two months.

Teetime Wed 10-May-17 09:06:50

DH is naturally slim and has an athletic frame so I'm posting for him. He does still have to be careful if he wants to maintain his 6ft 12 and half stone so he never eats processed foods, rarely eats cake perhaps only a toasted teacake once a week, has one small glass of wine/beer a day, snacks on fruit endlessly and eats lots of veg and salad. His halo often strangles him.

TriciaF Wed 10-May-17 09:24:23

I come from a family of slimbos. I think it's partly because we always had relatively small helpings of food,and prefer savoury to sweet things. I've weighed 55kg for many years (8.6 stones.)Height 5'3".
My diet is similar to Izzywizzy's but I never snack between meals, though I enjoy a glass of wine most evenings.

silverlining48 Wed 10-May-17 09:36:59

Well my diet is the same as those slimmies who have posted. But without the daily glass of wine and weekly cake. Maybe a small glass of wine per week and bit of cake every couple of months. No desserts, ever, no biscuits, pastry, processed food, always grill or poach and cook from scratch.
I have had a lifelong battle with my weight, did manage to shift 1.5 stones 4 years ago and maintained, but am still at least 2 stones, overweight. If i could grow a little taller that would certainly help. Hate being judged as greedy when thats not the case. Grrrrrr

PamelaJ1 Wed 10-May-17 10:05:53

I could be very fat without much effort I think so am not a 'natural' skinny.
For breakfast I have either porridge made wth half milk half water or yogurt with one weetabix and rhubarb(without sugar- an acquired taste but I love it)
Soup and bread or a sandwich for lunch.
Dinner all sorts but mostly proper food!
I don't have milk or sugar in tea or coffee and try to avoid hot choc and cappuccinos when I'm out. When we are out and stop for a drink we share a scone, not because we're mean but half is enough.
I like small portions, sometimes when we eat out and the plate is full it's a mammoth task to tackle it. I usually leave some.
I always eat full fat everything, all my fatter friends seem to have low this or that so it obviously doesn't work! I never have fizzy drinks apart from water or tonic ( for the gin)
We usually have a glass of wine or two a night but I'm restricting myself to weekends now.
I work from home so try not to have naughty food in the house. It's too tempting to graze. The peanuts are way out of reach to force me to think about whether I really, really want them!

Jalima1108 Wed 10-May-17 10:40:10

silverlining I can -- ditto -- your post!
Although some of the weight has gone on when I was immobile and is proving difficult to shift.
However, I was an extremely skinny child and was always being coaxed to eat and to try to eat everything on my plate. Nowadays I am always hungry despite eating regularly!

MawBroon Wed 10-May-17 10:40:51

Not a lot of replies I see. grin
Rules me out anyway. hmm

jacq10 Wed 10-May-17 11:15:47

Think the thing about Izzywizzy is she said she had cup of tea and ONE biscuit and later she said HALF a Caramac and also BAG of Hula Hoops (which is a quite small bag of one of the healthier version of crisps). How many of us would just have those portions?

ninathenana Wed 10-May-17 11:29:08

Yesterday I ate :
Cornflakes with skimmed milk.
Scone with low fat spread, no jam and skinny latte (Tuesday treat whilst shopping)
Brown bread, low fat spread, cold roast lamb sandwich. Banana
Grilled pork chops, oven chips and peas. Low fat yoghurt.

Why am I fat ??

Greta Wed 10-May-17 11:58:27

Dear overthehill,
I don’t think it’s the naturally slim people who should advise you. I have always been slim and if the BMI index is anything to go by I have been, and still is, underweight. I eat a normal diet including the occasional slice of cake and chocolate. It is just how I was made. My husband was also slim and both our children are. I think it’s genetic. Of course you can change your eating habits but I don’t believe you can change your metabolism. Sorry I can’t give you a magic trick!

Jalima1108 Wed 10-May-17 12:21:26

Think the thing about Izzywizzy is she said she had cup of tea and ONE biscuit and later she said HALF a Caramac and also BAG of Hula Hoops (which is a quite small bag of one of the healthier version of crisps). How many of us would just have those portions?
Well, in the evening I may have a cup of tea, no biscuit, no Hula Hoops or anything similar and perhaps one square of dark chocolate if I feel like indulging myself. Or perhaps a tangerine or a pear.

Or mostly nothing.

grannylyn65 Wed 10-May-17 12:29:36

sad

Jane10 Wed 10-May-17 13:07:37

I don't think can beat your genes. I've got the same body shape and size as my grandmother and great aunts. Mother was a chain smoker so probably affected her appetite. Can't win. Just off for more crisps!

DanniRae Wed 10-May-17 13:29:42

I HATE being a size 18 (5ft 6ins) but I love food so much. Every day is a mental battle - and I have a slim husband who eats much more fried food than I do. I also can't bear to be hungry - If I get hungry I feel faint, and I am very bad tempered and frantic for food!!

My excuse for the weight gain (I was a size 14 in my younger days) is that I have had 3 babies!

varian Wed 10-May-17 13:40:50

Some years ago I was complementing a slim friend on her trim physique when she pointed out (being kind) that I had children and she didn't. I said " I had the last one thirty-five years ago" and she replied "yes, you should have got your figure back by now!"

wildswan16 Wed 10-May-17 14:01:30

I'm a size 10 and weigh 8st 3lbs at 5ft 7. All my working life I was 9st 4lbs and when I retired I expected to put on weight but in fact lost a stone. I put that down to missing the canteen lunches.

Breakfast is porridge oats with a spoonful of ground nuts and half a dozen chopped grapes or banana.
Lunch is maybe 2 slices toast and a scrambled egg (or 2).
Tea is usually fish or chicken with rice and whatever veggies are in the kitchen, followed by yogurt and fruit.

I believe it is the extras or giant portions that put the weight on. I don't have anything inbetween meals except some fruit mid morning and afternoon, and very rarely have coffees when I'm out so am not tempted then by the cream cakes.

Of course I do have the occasional bar of chocolate or plate of chips - just not so often.

People often say I am lucky not to put weight on but I'm not sure luck has anything to do with it. I know for sure if I ate what some of my friends eat then I would quickly become much heavier. It's so much easier not to put it on in the first place.

LadyGracie Wed 10-May-17 14:11:43

I was 7.5 stone until I was 30, when I gave up smoking and went up to just over 9, where I stayed until I had a hysterectomy in my 50's in 2003, I now tell my DH he has 33% extra free since he married me 47 years ago grin

overthehill Wed 10-May-17 15:44:50

Thank you IZZY and WILDSWAN interested to read what you eat. I am guessing that the amount you eat is on the low side to what I eat, I would feel hungry so this must be the key. I guess neither of you are hungry so you must have a smaller appetite and therefore don't put on weight.

suzied Wed 10-May-17 16:28:40

I'm 9 st, used to be 8 , 5 ft 6. I eat muesli with berries, almond milk and Greek yoghurt in the morning. Green tea and cup of coffee. Cheese on toast with salad and an apple at lunch time. Fish or veggie dish with pasta or rice, maybe jacket potato for dinner, maybe a biscuit in the afternoon or mini choc ice while watching TV. Glass or two of white wine. Lots of fizzy water. Do quite a bit of exercise. There are some overweight people in the family who drink beer, eat chips, cakes etc which I don't.

downsized Wed 10-May-17 16:55:19

I'm conscious of the fact that it is easier to put weight on now I'm not as active as I used to be, although I still walk a lot and only use the car occasionally.

I either eat lunch or dinner, never both. I sometimes don't eat breakfast either.

I'm 5ft 5 ins and weigh just under 8stone. After DH died, I went down to 7stone which was not a good look.

It's hard to say what I eat as it varies a lot. I do like my couple of glasses of wine in the evening as well. wink