Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

Our 5:2 G.W.I.

(96 Posts)
Urmstongran Thu 31-Jan-19 22:34:35

Okay everyone...
Tomorrow is the 1st of the month and so log in to record your interest if you are keen to have a monthly ‘Grand Weigh In’ to chart your 5:2 progress.

The idea is to have a separate forum for this - as a place to see whether weight has been maintained, gained or lost in comparison to the 1st day of the previous month.

Tomorrow (01/02/19) will be for all who’d like to ‘register’ their interest.

There is a separate forum up & running for mutual support and ideas on the diet already.
Good luck over the coming months everyone❗️

shysal Fri 01-Feb-19 04:59:56

I started on January 18th and have lost 5 lb, fasting on 3 days a week and eating within an 8 hour window every day.

Good luck everybody!

Katyj Fri 01-Feb-19 06:02:56

Hi everyone.I'm so disappointed this morning, jumped out of bed, on the scales, and I've lost nothing ! Can't believe it, I felt sure I'd lost about 2lb as my trousers were easier to fasten.
I don't know where I'm going wrong, I'm fasting, mon , Tues and Thurs eating within a 8 hour window, I'm very strict always eating just under 800 calories, the other days I'm not overeating. The only thing I can think, is that I'm not excersising, as such, although I still work partime in a manual job, and look after dgc 1 day a week , so certainly not sedentary!
Anyway enough about me.Hope you lovely ladies, have more luck.
Well done shysal that's a good loss in a short time.

Sunlover Fri 01-Feb-19 08:47:09

I started on January 1st and have been doing three fast days most weeks. Lost 9lbs so very happy. Not expecting this big lose to continue in February. Will be happy with 5 lbs making it a stone. I did dry January which I'm sure has contributed to the downward trend!! Not sure how long I will stay dry!

Katyj Fri 01-Feb-19 09:03:36

Well done sunlover .What a result ! I don't drink alcohol, so don't know where I'm going wrong.confused

Urmstongran Fri 01-Feb-19 09:10:55

Morning everyone!
I’m in.
I’ve been doing the 5:2 since 3 January and since then I’ve lost 5lbs - fasting 2 days a week. Which I’m happy about but for some reason I’ve not lost anything this last week. I’m with you on that Katyj - it’s disappointing isn’t it when you ‘stall’ and can’t work out why? Never mind, we’re in it for the long haul (think of that summer dress!). That’s why I’m hoping the GWI will be motivational.

Katyj Fri 01-Feb-19 09:29:43

Urmstongran you too ! At least you've lost 5lb.I've only lost 1lb in 2 weeks.I'm going to carry on, as I'm quite stubborn, and it's making me even more determined to shed the 1bs. Better luck next week.

shysal Fri 01-Feb-19 10:05:52

We mustn't give up when the loss slows down. I only lost 1lb this week, wondering whether to go down to 500 cals on fast days.
Well done everyone for overall loss which is what counts.

Sunlover Fri 01-Feb-19 10:47:59

I tend to try and stay nearer the 500 cals on fast days. I usually fast till lunch and just have home made vegetable soup. Then at dinner I have one of M and S low cal meals with extra vegetables to fill me up. Usually works out at between 500 to 600 cals.

Urmstongran Fri 01-Feb-19 11:06:03

Just a reminder everyone that the usual 5:2 forum for general discussion is still available. If possible shall we try to leave this thread for just the one comment on how we’ve done that month? Otherwise we will just end up with two threads about 5:2 IYSWIM!
Sorry don’t want to come across as bossy though. ?

Sunlover Fri 01-Feb-19 12:08:04

No problem.

Lumarei Fri 01-Feb-19 15:45:33

I started on the 1 st of Jan and have lost 8lbs but like sunlover I don’t expect to lose that much every month. I would be more than happy to lose 4lbs every month.
Btw if the trousers fit better that is a good indication that what you are doing is working. Weight is influenced by many factors.

M0nica Fri 01-Feb-19 16:03:46

I put on 6lbs over Christmas plus a week on holiday in France last week. I started on Monday and have dropped 3 lbs.

I confidently expect to put some of that back on over the next few days, because my (successful) 5:2 diet 4 years ago shows my weight going up and down through out the period, but after 4 months on the diet I was 2 stone down. I once put on 4lbs in two days for no comprehensible reason.

Twin2 Fri 01-Feb-19 16:32:44

I started Monday this week 2 fast days. Lost 1.5 lb ?

Katyj Sat 02-Feb-19 11:35:37

Well done Twin2.That's a brilliant start .

Katyj Fri 01-Mar-19 04:50:34

Good morning ladies. Thought I'd pop back, and let you know how my diet with slimming world is going. I haven't joined the classes, as I have the books from 4 years ago, somethings have changed, but I've managed to find that out online .I've been doing it just short of 3 weeks, and managed to loose 6lb . I'm a bit disappointed as I lost 9lb in the first 3 week before, but I was a bit heavier then.
I'm doing lots of walking, which seems to be helping, my legs do feel slimmer, im very pear shaped ! . Going to keep going as my resolve is good at the moment.
It's not easy is it. I love my food and have a sweet tooth too, but trying my best to curb it .I definitely need to cut out the sugar as much as possible. Really hope you ladies have done well.Looking forward to hearing from you all .Good luck.

shysal Fri 01-Mar-19 07:23:49

Well done Katyj, thanks for the update. 6lb in 3 weeks is great! Hope you manage to keep it up.

My weight loss over the last month is a pathetic 2lb. Over the course of the month I have gained and lost several pounds, very depressing. However, I must hang on to the total, for the 6 weeks that I have been doing this, of 8lb when at the lowest weight.

Good luck everybody else, hope you will be pleased with your results.

Grammaretto Fri 01-Mar-19 07:29:58

I'd like to join in. What should I do to start? A wedding in June is my target.

Lumarei Fri 01-Mar-19 07:33:42

Good morning ladies and how lovely to hear from you Katyj. Congratulations to you.
6lbs is fantastic!

I have lost 1.2kg this month that is 2.5lb. Another 6lb to go!!! Sugar and carbs are definitely my resolve breaker. My traditional “sugar-free-lent” should be helping me in the next six weeks.

With lent coming up when traditionally I give up sugar anyway, I am hoping to have renewed resolve.

shysal Fri 01-Mar-19 07:42:01

Welcome Grammaretto. The best way to start would be to look up 5:2 or other intermittent fasting regimes on the internet. We use this thread for a monthly Grand Weigh In, and you might prefer to use this other one below for general chat, encouragement and tips. Good luck!
www.gransnet.com/forums/dieting_and_exercise/1256767-5-2?msgid=27107936

TwiceAsNice Fri 01-Mar-19 08:02:51

I started in early January. Am diabetic and my sugars went up slightly . I’ve stopped all sugar, alcohol( although I don’t drink much anyway) and white carbs. I do 5-2 800 calories 2 days a week and very low carb the other days. So far I have lost 12 lbs .

Urmstongran Fri 01-Mar-19 08:04:07

Morning ladies - oh dear. Just weighed myself and in comparison to 1 Feb I’ve lost 0.5lb. Rubbish. I’ve been a pound or two less at different times in February but as this GWI is the ‘marker’ I was hoping to see a lower weight.

Overall in 2 months I’ve lost 6lbs. Probably not great but in mitigation Your Honour I like my wine and I don’t particularly exercise. So if I’m being honest I need to have less of the first and do more of the second.

Okay. Bit disappointed but I’m going to persevere (it’s a fast day for me as I had to swap it from yesterday) and try to do better for 1 April - gosh that’s All Fools day not particularly auspicious ha!

Lovely to hear from you KatyJ and WELL DONE! An amazing start to your new diet regime. If I don’t do well on 1 April I may have to rethink this too.

shysal you’re similar to me. We must try harder if we can. Actually I did laugh the other day when some said the best exercise when you’re on a diet is to slowly turn your head from side to side and say ‘no’!

Well done Lumarei you’ve done fabulously too! That’s the kind of weight loss I’d like to report at the next GWI.

Welcome Grammaretto to our little club. We use this thread only on 1st of the month so please do hop onto the ordinary 5:2 forum for chat, tips, encouragement!

Good luck to all who follow today!

Urmstongran Fri 01-Mar-19 08:06:25

Our posts crossed TwiceAsNice! That’s an amazing result and I’m so pleased for you because you have been hard core lady and really deserve that great loss. I wish I could have some of your willpower ....!

TwiceAsNice Fri 01-Mar-19 08:12:40

Thank you Urmstongran I am very stubborn when I put my mind to it and my sugars going up gave me a scare. I find dropping the white carbs have made me less hungry all round

GrannyIris5 Fri 01-Mar-19 08:15:25

I’ve managed a 9lb loss since beginning of Feb, using ADF, getting easier. NSV seems a lot easier when I do up my winter coat than after Christmas and room for my jumper too now. Good luck everyone ?