Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

Why do I always do this?

(61 Posts)
loretta Sat 23-Mar-19 16:50:43

I started slimming world again a while ago and it has been going quite well. People have commented on the weight I have lost which has helped me to keep going. But this weekend I have been a bit tired and fed up and this afternoon I have worked my way through a whole packet of biscuits. I'm so cross with myself. How can I get my will power back?

phoenix Sat 23-Mar-19 17:10:11

Remove temptation!

Ok, so you ate a whole pack of biscuits, it's done, you can't undo it.

BUT don't replace them, do NOT buy anymore. Find a different "treat" for when you feel tired and fed up. Grapes, strawberries, fresh pineapple, whatever.

M0nica Sat 23-Mar-19 18:09:59

What is one packet of biscuits spread over a whole diet? Nothing at all. It might, if you really pushed it, mean that it will take one whole day longer to reach your target.

See it proportion. You are doing really well over a prolonged period and one afternoon, among how many? You lapsed.

It is what we all do. I bet there is plenty more SW members have done the same (and not admitted it)

showergelfresh Sat 23-Mar-19 18:24:44

Very well done loretta for losing weight. Brilliant!

This was just a small setback. Forget it. You are on the right track.

I always go for choc and biscuits when I feel tired and fed up. I really hate myself for it but most of the time I eat healthily and am not overweight either.

Yesterday I nipped to Wilco and bought 5 bags of Thorntons chocs and a bag of mint creams and ate them within half an hour...

Woke up feeling like c rap this morning.

I never have sugary fatty treats in the house or even any junk food at all - no crisps etc. but I live in town and there are shops everywhere - open 'till late and I sit there umming and ahhing tired, bored, lonely etc and of I go but luckily its not often but I want to not do it at all...
xx

loretta Sat 23-Mar-19 19:08:47

Glad it is not just me and you are right - not such a disaster in the overall scheme of things, but cross I yielded to temptation so easily

PamelaJ1 Sat 23-Mar-19 19:16:46

So, start afresh tomorrow.

paddyann Sat 23-Mar-19 19:21:10

we all give in tot emptation now an dagain and its not something to fret about.Cn you find a diet that lets you have the odd treat? That way you wont feel guilty about it .I've had a day like that myself today.I'm overtired,not sleeping well and although I'm not hungry by anymeans I've picked up a couple of chocolates from a box sitting on the worktop( my OH's) and took the handful of crisps offered by my GD .I still feel tired! Now I know its not lack of food I'll get back on the diet right away.I'm doing the 16/8 only its 17/7 and it works well for me.I'm maintaining weight for now and hope to cut some calories and lose the last half stone now I'm not freezing all the time.Good luck with your eating plan ,keep us up to date on your progress,it'll keep some of us on track too

thecatgrandma Sat 23-Mar-19 19:39:56

Don’t pick up the first one!

lizzypopbottle Sat 23-Mar-19 20:36:40

You have to want the weight loss more than you want the biscuits (or whatever it is you succumb to.) Until you do, you will always choose the one you want more. I learned that on a course. So, when you're tempted, ask yourself, "Which do I want more?" If you choose the biscuits, it's because you don't really, really want the weight loss more.

Katyj Sun 24-Mar-19 06:45:31

Loretta. If you ever find the answer please let me know.I'm following sw not going to classes though, the last two days I have eaten two hot cross buns, and a bag of chocolate buttons, hoping to get back on track tomorrow as today hasn't started too well either.blush

RosieLeah Sun 24-Mar-19 06:48:44

This is why a calorie counting diet works...you don't have to deny yourself anything. If you over-indulge on one day, just reduce your intake the next day. It doesn't mean you have given up your diet, you just had a bit of a relapse.

Anja Sun 24-Mar-19 06:58:45

The trick is recognising your triggers for temptation. Yours, this time, tired and fed up. This leaves you feeling you ‘deserve’ a treat.

When you get that feeling recognise it and give yourself a treat first......but something different from sweet food. I don’t know what else might help you (a lovely bubbly bath does it for me) but if you have a lost of your own feel-good treats you can go to that might help.

LullyDully Sun 24-Mar-19 07:59:55

It's good to slip back to the old habits to remind yourself that it makes you fed up. Onwards and downwards, as they say.
Just clear all your red light foods out . We have several things Mr LD has to hide in my behalf.( my curley wurleys store and his muesli....love the nuts)

Good luck it is hard breaking habits of a lifetime but worth it.

Urmstongran Sun 24-Mar-19 08:10:30

Dieting is super hard. That’s why there’s a whole industry that’s well funded in trying to help us achieve weight loss. If it was ‘easy’ we’d all just do it with no need to talk about it.

Good luck everyone here who is trying to shed some weight (including me).

travelsafar Sun 24-Mar-19 08:44:40

It is sooo hard to be good al the time. I am guilty of the biscuit thingy too.What i have started doing instead is buying plain rice cakes and when i get the urge for something sweet i mash a banana on top or sometimes spread some jam on top and eat those.

silverlining48 Sun 24-Mar-19 08:49:13

We are all human Loretta. Don’t beat yourself up about it, get back on with the food optimising, if that’s what SW still call it, and you will have success. Congrats on what you have done so far.

Grannyparkrun Sun 24-Mar-19 09:27:16

When I scoff chocolate & biscuits I play mind games with myself..I deserve a treat..I didn’t have any yesterday..I’ll walk them off later..I’m quite fit considering..
But when I seriously think about the why’s, I remember the young 16year old me, living alone in a room in London, desperately homesick, frightened and lonely, spending a weeks wages on cakes and bread, comfort eating the lot and wondering why my clothes were getting tighter.
If only I could reassure my younger self that everything would be ok in the long run, perhaps I’d have avoided years of weight struggles, but these habits are laid down early & hard to unpick.
I think our strong emotional relationship with food, and the addictive nature of sugar are huge mountains to climb, so well done to anyone who manages to lose any weight at all, you’re amazing!

henetha Sun 24-Mar-19 09:32:23

You did it because you are are only human and therefore imperfect like the rest of us. So don't beat yourself up about it, just learn from it.
The trick is, I think, to not buy things which you know are no good for your diet.
Good luck! I'm trying to diet too and not very efficiently!

lovebeigecardigans1955 Sun 24-Mar-19 09:37:46

Don't beat yourself up about it, just be 'better' tomorrow. I sometimes wonder if it's a 'fear of success' that makes us falter? I've lost weight at last but I've discovered that I'm an emotional eater.
I try to be good during the week but go a bit mad at weekends. I can eat an entire Swiss roll over the two days and a packet of sausage rolls. As long as that needle on the scales doesn't go above a particular line I tell myself I'm not doing too badly.

GeorgieKay Sun 24-Mar-19 10:22:29

Don't worry about it Loretta. I am a Slimming World target member but had lots of slip-ups on the way. We are all human. Put it behind you and carry on with the plan. Good luck !!

Jenechka Sun 24-Mar-19 10:31:31

I agree RosieLeah. I have been calorie counting for 9 weeks with the help of a marvellous App called Nutracheck. I have lost 1stone 2 lbs. it automatically calculates your calories according to present weight agecand height etc. It means you can eat what you like within reason and it’s working for me after a lifetime of yo-yo dieting. Keep going and don’t beat yourself up over a packet of biscuits. ???

HurdyGurdy Sun 24-Mar-19 10:32:13

Accept that you had a blip. Draw a line under the day and start again on plan the next day.

You've obviously got the willpower, because you have done so well. Everyone has off days. Yesterday was yours. And in future, there will be another. Just accept them.

The thing NOT to do (and what I always do) is to say "oh well, I've blown it now. I might as well give up".

marpau Sun 24-Mar-19 10:35:47

Dont let a bad day become a bad week. It happened just move on maybe have a day eating more fruit or veg.

Caro57 Sun 24-Mar-19 10:40:56

Well done you for the loss - try to remember tomorrow is a new day......... at least that’s what I tell myself!

Viviness Sun 24-Mar-19 10:46:18

If I remember rightly when I was on SW you are allowed Syns per day and can carry some over. I stopped worrying about my odd treat. I love chocolate and cant help it. I am weak!!! but I maintain a steady weight which I am happy - ish with. I know if the time comes that I want to lose weight I can do, and I will restrict my treats. So, you had biscuits. Dont beat yourself up about it. You,ve done so well to lose weight and that is the hardest bit.