Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

I’m a pear ? the sequel!

(1001 Posts)
NanKate Wed 01-Jan-20 08:17:35

On 08 May 2018 I started this thread for those who wanted to lose weight and have a healthier lifestyle. Many people have joined up and many pounds lost and a few gained.

However the 2 Gransnetters who have stayed the course are Fourormore and Shirleyw who have helped to keep me on the straight and narrow, most of the time ?, and kept up our spirits. Plus a few others who make an occasional entrance and departure and that is fine too - All Welcome.

Do join us the rules are simple.

Choose your own style of diet plan.
Check in regularly with a report of the highs and lows of the diet.
Have an occasional binge but get back on the wagon ASAP.
Pass on any useful diet tips.

So for example I started calorie counting with the NHS Diet Plan. I now eat what I like but make portion control my mantra. I am sure both Four and Shirley will tell you their strategies.

You have nothing to lose, other than weight, on this thread.

So Onward and Downward ? in 2020 and beyond folks. Come and join us.

Shirleyw Tue 11-Aug-20 15:32:16

Well, 1 and a half on, I was lucky really after a pig out at weekend....calorie counting once again lol.....

Whiff Wed 12-Aug-20 06:22:47

Shirleyw like me it's a blip. That's what I love about this thread we support eachother and unlike the slimming clubs I tried in the late 80's and early 90's not treated like a naughty child when you have a bad week. This weather isn't helping any. It goes from boiling hot to cold. Not being able to sleep because of the heat doesn't do anybody any good. Have a good week.

Shirleyw Wed 12-Aug-20 07:31:01

Yes whif...a blip...i have many of those lol....

Its a tad too hot for me ....I am getting my steps in but any other form of fitness is by the bye at the moment lol....

i have the fan on low all night so thats rather nice....do you guys?....i have short hair , collar length, i have been putting it back with a dinky pony tail and a hair band so its off the face, I been to work like that...not a good look but soooo much more comfy lol

Dorsetcupcake61 Wed 12-Aug-20 08:53:14

Indeed Shirleyw it is so hot. For the past two nights I have slept with a fan in the room, not something I've often done. It's quite strange as I'm aware of the cool breeze ,but also the humidity! I keep thinking that it must have been as hot as this in 2018! The problem I have,i think like a lot of modern houses,is my house is very well insulated. Great in winter or for the odd hot day,but any prolonged heatwave and it's a constant struggle to keep upstairs anything other than tropical! Apparently it's the end of the week before we have any respite here?.
Ironically a friend contacted me last night about a garden visit to a friend nearby on Monday,weather forecast not good. It will be my first major visit anywhere since mid March. Life is complicated by the fact I dont drive! Being high risk on several counts advice until August was very clear. Of course that's all changed now. I'm very cautious as infections are on the rise. On the other hand infections in my area are incredibly low. The friend who is collecting me works from home and is very cautious as mother and mother in law shielded. Friend we are visiting is also diabetic so sensible. It is indeed a leap of faith and something I really have to do!
I find the hot weather helps diet wise as not so hungry,although I have enjoyed some low sugar ice cream rather to much.! Still it's small positive steps on a long journey.
Finally I dont know if anyone has seen the new government advert on tv about covid and weight loss? I'm a little bit in two minds about it. It is unnerving as its states in no uncertain terms how being overweight or obese drastically affects how vulnerable to Covid. It then goes on to show lots of overweight people doing exercises,which is good,at least they weren't size zero models! I'm a 100% behind the message but theres also a little niggle in my mind. I do think it's ultimately down to individual responsibility for what they put in their bodies. Alongside that there are many reasons why people struggle with excess weight from psychological, upbringing, potentially biological,lack of knowledge, the abundance of cheap fat and sugar laden foods etc. Its a global problem. Of course you cant get all of that into a two minute soundbite.! I did wonder about people who were watching the advert and not in a good place with their weight,did they feel motivated to run round the park or so scared and depressed they had another biscuit? It's such a complex situation and although it is simple eat less move more its rarely that simple. It would be nice to think governments made genuine efforts to put services in place to support people rather than pay lip service to the concept.
Have a good week everyone ?

CocoPops Thu 13-Aug-20 05:26:36

Very interesting post Dorsetcupcake61
I googled the relationship between obesity and Covid-19 and found this link
www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/latest-evidence-on-obesity-and-covid-19 which gives a summary of the evidence so far which suggests that obesity
( ie a BMI of40 or more) is associated with a higher risk of developing severe symptoms independent of other illnesses...
It does not say being overweight/ obese puts one at more risk of actually catching the virus, only that symptoms may be much worse if one does.
I have not seen the TV ad so don't know if it says the above.
I agree with your thinking re Government intervention.
(Should Government determine what we eat or is that an intrusion of our free will ? Is the ad a good use of taxpayers' money?)
I believe that when people are given the tools , by that I mean education to make better food choices, it's still damned difficult for them to change their behaviour. IMHO what is really needed is regular emotional support and encouragement and there are plenty of support groups around like this one for instance!
Governments could encourage schools to teach children about nutrition, how to prepare meals and take personal responsibility for own health.
Will get off the soap box now.
Best wishes to ye all.

Whiff Thu 13-Aug-20 06:01:35

Cocopops you are so right. When I was at school we used to have home economics which used to take up all morning or all afternoon. I already knew how to cook as my parents taught me. But in the classes we cooked meals from scratch. And because of the length of lessons had time to do things like bread etc which took a long time. We also covered nutrition and household budgets. How to wash and care for laundry and the home. Needlework was the same length so over a couple of lessons you could make a garment. It was an ordinary secondary school. Going back a few years as I am 62. I already knew a lot of what we where taught because of my parents but their were some girls it was all new to them. Back in those days only girls could do home economics and needlework. Boys did metalwork, woodwork and technical drawing. For the same time period each lesson.

When my children where at school they had food tech and materials technology but for only a hour each lesson.

It was so much better in my day. We taught our children to cook, budget and save at an early age. There should be lessons like that from primary school and continue for the rest of school life. That way we would start to have generations that can cook and know how to handle money again. It's ok if parents teach these lessons to their children but unfortunately there are parents out there who can't cook and have no idea how to budget.

There is a great need to be able to cook using cheaper ingredients from scratch and the the art of using left overs. So much healthier and cheaper than all these processed foods.

I'll get off my soap box know. Have a good day everyone.

Dorsetcupcake61 Thu 13-Aug-20 13:20:42

Thankyou Cocopops?. Yes indeed it is a factor if contract virus. Rather like diabetes I'm not more likely to get coronavirus but effects more serious if do. Must admit when during lockdown they were publishing photos of those who had sadly died almost all were overweight even if they had no underling conditions ☹.
Ah Whiff your post bought back so many memories! Education is at the heart of it. I think schools are increasingly trying and there have been some excellent local schemes. TV to can be helpful with programmes such as save money lose weight etc and others showing how much cheaper and healthier to cook meals from scratch.
Something seems to have gone very wrong over the past three decades or so. I dont know whether it's the mass production of cheap food that is high in fat and sugar and the feel good factor. Changing lifestyles, more work,more sedentary. Conflicting advice on diet. The heavy promotion of treat foods. The suggestion in a frantic world you deserve the indulgence! The diverse arguments of both fatshaming and body positivity! Interestingly I've had Loose Women in the background. They are talking about body positivity which good. No one should feel they have to put their life on hold due to cellulite or bit of a saggy tum. Not wanting to be unkind but 3 of the 4 women are very overweight. They are talking about the pointlessness of diets etc. Unfortunately obesity is a global problem with the UK faring particularly badly. It's great to be young and confident, and yes in your twenties and thirties you may feel healthy but its decades later the problems start.
It may help to not only put systems in place to give people emotional support. We also need to put health before profit and that might be more problematical!

NanKate Sat 15-Aug-20 08:22:03

Hi folks.

Just back on GN after having the grandchildren for a week ??. To say I am shattered is an understatement.

Pleased to say I didn’t eat extra food as I was so busy keeping them stoked up. How can children eat so kick and keep so thin? No doubt it is all the running around.

Whiff Sat 15-Aug-20 11:57:06

They have faster metabolisms NanKate. And some keep them into adulthood. Unfortunately I didn't hence weight problems.

Theoddbird Sat 15-Aug-20 12:06:42

Can I join. I have put on 15 pound since I retired 31st December 2019. I used to be so active at work...8 to 10 thousand steps a day, up and down stairs.... I have lost 2 pound in past month so 13 to go. I am with weight watchers. Might look at NHS plan.

Whiff Sat 15-Aug-20 13:21:54

Theoddbird hello . I am glad I joined this thread . Everyone is supportive and friendly. NanKate started a good thing doing it. No one judges and we encourage eachother.

Whiff Sun 16-Aug-20 09:16:04

My weight has stayed the same. Haven't lost that pound I put on last week but haven't gain anymore. So I am happy. Did some gardening this week. And Friday had my grandson to chase after or in my case hobble. I walk with a stick. We went to the park a few streets away from me. It's quite big. Lovely play area he had a ball. After he went on the roundabout insisted nana had a go. Hadn't been on one since I was a child. Well another new experience had at the age of 62. He pushed me around then my daughter joined in laughing her socks off. They stayed for lunch which was lovely. Hopefully I will loss a bit next week. Can't get into the garden today as it's raining.
Have a good week everyone.

Dorsetcupcake61 Sun 16-Aug-20 09:33:44

Good morning everyone! Hi and welcome TheOddBird ?. I hope you are enjoying a rest Nankate, although I'm sure you miss them.! I dont know how old your grandchildren are but looking back I remember I always seemed to be cooking something when the girls were younger!
I have lost 1 and 3/4 pounds this week which I am very pleased with! I must admit I'm also very surprised.! This is the first time I havent followed a particular regime and calculated every item whether it be points or calories and written it down. I havent increased exercise either.
Everything I eat is using the knowledge from past experience so it's either a premade calorie counted meal I prepared and froze a few weeks ago,salad as it's been so hot etc. Thursday night I really fancied pasta. I had some turkey rashers to use up so I made an old favourite the slimming world carbonara. I used vastly less pasta but did add a very generous portion of freshly grated Parmesan! I had potato wedges but home made ! I do feel I've had some nice things.! The one thing I have cut out almost completely is bread. I used to eat wholemeal but always with butter. I did buy some sourdough and as a treat on Monday made myself a toastie with it. Very nice and none of the bloating I feel when usually have bread.!
The one massive change I have had is lifestyle! For the past two years I've been working 12 hour shifts. Only 24 hours a week but used to do 48hrs one week and have 8 days off. The week I worked was tiring but worth it I felt to have days off to do what I wanted on days off.
Now I'm really beginning to wonder just how it was affecting me. My sleeping pattern was awful and would often wake up in the early hours and not be able to get back to sleep. The days i worked you had to plan diet wise as left home at 7.30am and not home until 8.30pm. I was able to resist goodies at work taking in my own food. Often when I got home I was too tired to eat!
Now I go to bed about 10.30. I still wake up a couple of times but go straight back to sleep and normally wake up between 8-8.30. I'm not hungry so usually have a brunch at midday etc.
Despite everything that is going on in the world I actually feel better than I have for years!
I remember a friend once saying that if hungry check you aren't tired or thirsty which is very true. Hmm I certainly feel my body is in a better pattern! Each week I wonder if this new more relaxed method will continue to work! It's no slower,in fact more effective than Slimming World was! On the plus side if it continues that's over 3 stone in a year!
I'm also enjoying experimenting with my new yoghurt maker and was delighted to produce my own greek yoghurt!
Good luck everyone and have a brilliant week?

Dorsetcupcake61 Sun 16-Aug-20 09:40:10

That does sound like a lovely day Whiff?. I think you were very brave on the roundabout! Still I doubt I could refuse my grandson if he asked! Keep at it and have a brilliant week. Very dull here but better than the stifling heat!

Sarahmob Sun 16-Aug-20 09:49:57

Can I join please? I’ve just been diagnosed as pre-diabetic and don’t want to end up on medication...
I’ve been following slimming world diet and have lost 7lb over the last three weeks so am pleased with that, but I’ve a long way to go. We were away last week, but I was really careful about what I ate so when the scales said I’d lost another pound I was really happy. Problem is I love food, especially the food that isn’t good for me - cake especially!

Beechnut Sun 16-Aug-20 10:00:03

Welcome Sarahmob and well done on your loss.

Whiff Sun 16-Aug-20 10:08:55

Well done Dorsetcupcake61 on the loss and Sarahmob on yours and welcome. You will find the support and friendship here I know I have.

fourormore Sun 16-Aug-20 10:18:53

Welcome to our newbies - Theoddbod and Sarahmob flowers - you will love being a member of the gang as we only support and never punish!
I am one of the originals and have received such amazing support - various things have happened in my life during my 'membership' so I have yoyo-ed etc. but always felt I could go back with no recriminations.
My method is - be good Mon to Sat but Sunday is SINday.
We need to treat ourselves or it becomes a chore and we give up.
During lock-down I have stayed within the same two pound bracket so I'm happy - I'm not snacking but I do know we are drinking many more cups of tea, coffee and cold drinks and also nothing like the exercise, so if I can stay level I can restart if this virus ever allows it.
Stayed exactly the same this week as last even though I have slipped a couple of times so that's good.
Good luck to everyone else and when this is over we'll all meet at Whiff's local park and ALL go on the roundabout!!! After dark of course! grin

CocoPops Sun 16-Aug-20 18:01:11

I'd love to meet you all on the roundabout at Whiff's park! I weighed in at 133.6lbs. today, a loss of 0.6 lb. My son, who lost his job because of covid, has been very fortunate and found a new job and starts next month which is a huge relief. Dorset I too found wholemeal bread left me feeling bloated. I changed to the occasional slice of sourdough bread and have it without butter.
10 am and 134° here today so I will bike to the dog beach. My little dog loves to swim in the ocean and I might, just might, take the plunge too....

Whiff Sun 16-Aug-20 18:20:48

Cocopops well done at the loss. I am very happy your son has a new job . It's load of yours and his mind. Hope all goes well for him from now on.

Dorsetcupcake61 Mon 17-Aug-20 07:17:32

Well done on weightloss Cocopops and good news about your son?. I hope you enjoyed your trip to the beach?

Dorsetcupcake61 Mon 17-Aug-20 07:20:37

Well done on maintaining fourormore, I hope you enjoyed your treat day?

NanKate Mon 17-Aug-20 07:54:55

A warm welcome Sarahmob. You have come to the right place for help and encouragement.

We are all using our own methods of weight loss/control. Now I have got to a reasonable weight I eat anything I want but in much smaller portions and I think my stomach has shrunk accordingly.

Please ask us any questions there will always be one of us that can help you.

Beechnut Mon 17-Aug-20 08:26:09

I am very up and down but this week it’s a down by 2lb. My weight loss is a struggle, who knows if I’ll ever get there. I know I should do more exercise and perhaps now the weather is cooling I might go out on my bike more. Have a good loser week all.

Whiff Mon 17-Aug-20 13:31:29

Beechnut that's a lovely loss. Think we are all the same up, down ,stay the same. Weather here is awful again. Can't wait to get in the garden again. Find weeding very relaxing and time flies when I am doing it. My daughter says my arms have slimmed down and my mid drift. Must be the gardening. As my weight is the same. Never thought gardening as toning exercise.

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion