Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

I’m a Pear ? the sequel part 2 !

(1001 Posts)
NanKate Sun 01-Nov-20 20:35:42

On 08 May 2018 I started this thread for those who wanted to lose weight and have a healthier lifestyle. Many people have joined up and many pounds lost and a few gained.

However the 2 Gransnetters who have stayed the course from the beginning are Fourormore and Shirleyw who have helped to keep me on the straight and narrow, most of the time ?, and kept up our spirits.

We now have some other excellent new regulars who have joined our ranks and they have brought new ideas and support. Many thanks girls what would I do without you all.

Do join us the rules are simple.

Choose your own style of diet plan.
Check in regularly with a report of the highs and lows of the diet.

Have an occasional binge but get back on the wagon ASAP.
Pass on any useful diet tips.

So for example I started calorie counting with the NHS Diet Plan. I now eat what I like but make portion control my mantra.

You have nothing to lose, other than weight, on this thread.

Please join us at this difficult time in all our lives with the Pandemic.

So Onward and Downward girls ??

fourormore Sun 24-Jan-21 11:40:13

What a wonderful supportive thread this is - no bitchiness, no female dogs (!) just constant support whether we are are worried about weight, Covid, grandchildren - whatever!

Thank you all for the continual support I have received re my bereavements etc. I do so appreciate you all flowersflowers My poor SIL is really struggling and we are having to keep a really close eye on her but she will get through.

Whiff I hope and pray that none of you will develop - keep the hope! Do you remember my daughter and her boyfriend both actually tested positive yet neither developed thank God. That was from a nursery as well but a worker not a child. Also please ignore the bitchiness on other threads - we don't have it in our camp!!! I hope your daughter's house move problem can be resolved even if you have to delay to quarantine. It will be worth waiting for!

I have lost a meagre 0.2lb - rubbish - but even though it's ounces and one cup of tea probably would add that, I am psychologically telling myself I have lost!!!!!

Keep going fellow strugglers and keep up our wonderful support for each other! The newbies probably won't remember but we had a trouble maker try to cause mischief on this thread a while ago - we soon got rid!!!!! gringringrin Have a good week everyone flowersflowersflowers

Dorsetcupcake61 Sun 24-Jan-21 13:54:32

Thankyou Sarahmob ?. I think most people thought we would be on track this summer, maybe without the new variants we would have been. I think up until very recently holidays have been advertised which is unfair as raises peoples hope,I think travel insurance will be an issue as well. Still,one day!
Keep on keeping on Whiff! Oh those late evening munchies,I often find it's really I'm just tired. I love porridge, I must admit over Christmas I had some whole milk to use up so made it with that. It was magical?.
Well I've plucked my eye brows plus a few other hairs?. My handbag looks like an emergency kit!
It was very interesting last night. I had a zoom call with friends one who was really struck by how well and tbh youthful I was looking. I dont know about all of you,but I get glum in front of a mirror whether it's the mousy brown hair or the extra chin that's appeared! I've been puzzling in a pleased sort of way about my improved look when I feel distinctly frumpy. Then it dawned on me. Since lockdown I have put a stone on. The reason for the reduction in wrinkles is good old fat filling them out! Oh dear! I remember about 3 years ago when I was tantalisingly close to a size 14 how despite loving the clothes I could wear and feeling so much healthier my face and neck took a massive hit. Probably due to hormones the skin for the first time didnt shrink back. For the first time I showed an active interest in face and neck creams,nothing prohibitively expensive. Did they make a jot of difference? Nope, skin may have looked slightly smoother but nothing major.! Someone famous once said when you get to a certain age it's your face or figure. Well I suppose I had better invest in one of those bee keepers hats?. Obviously health is a major concern and my aim has always been to have a healthy BMI. Tbh the thought of feeling confident and choosing what to wear based on liking it rather than what it disguises is worth a few wrinkles!
Have a good week everyone ?

Whiff Sun 24-Jan-21 17:29:26

Dorset you crack me up. Many decades ago when I first got ill. I was put on steroids. Didn't do any good so came off them. But since then have to shave my chin every couple of days. Trouble is the hairs are grey now?. Since losing weight I have embraced my wrinkles. I did start to call then laughter lines my brother the cheeky sod said nothing is that funny.
I don't wear make up as I am useless at putting it on. Did once for a party my daughter took one look as asked where's the circus?. So she did it for me. I admire anyone who can put it on and not look like they are wearing it. My daughter's that talented. She taught herself.

Have a good night's sleep Dorset and enjoy your first day. We are never to old to do embrace new things and met new people. Don't forget to let us know how you get on.

Four don't put yourself down its a loss. Some of the people on that thread were nice. Just sent a nice reply to those who asked and defended me but added a few comments about those that weren't.

Pears rule ???.

somersetlass Sun 24-Jan-21 17:47:45

Hi everyone, I've recently joined Gransnet and have just seen this thread. I'm desperate to lose weight (again!) after piling on the pounds from the menopause (finally started it in my 60th year!) and lockdown. I've also recently signed up to #1000miles challenge. I've tried slimming world in the past without success and wondered if anyone could recommend a good diet plan? Thanks everyone smile

Dorsetcupcake61 Sun 24-Jan-21 18:21:45

Thankyou Whiff?. I must admit I love make up ,although I prefer the subtle look. I think it might stem from my Mum being an Avon lady. I havent worn any since last March apart from when I did the video interview. It felt almost alien putting it on?.
I toyed with the idea of nail polish but was put off by fact a lot of hand washing ruin a manicure and I'm not sure where nail polish remover is?. Same with a face pack. I have one of those new fangled sheet ones. Many decades ago my mum and I tried a clay mask before my cousins birthday party. I dont know what was in it but we virtually had to chisel it off,we arrived at the party looking rather blotchy! Best not to experiment if you want to look best!
I have a few little butterflies but nothing to bad. I think when you get to a certain age you can put experience to good use. Thankfully I have been lucky. At 16 we moved from the Midlands to the south. Not a good age to move but it all worked out ok. That experience helped when I went off to University, I had started from scratch once I could do it again. When I started with the CAB virtually all of us had been in jobs where we had responsibility but knew our game inside and out. Suddenly we were back to square one,everything was unfamiliar from recording process,language used,knowledge base. It was quite a challenge but we did it,and this will be the same. Probably from tomorrow but certainly after Tuesday ,it depends on laptop, I will be working from home,so that will be interesting too! Hope the wi fi password is still on box?!
I will keep you all updated dear pears ?

Dorsetcupcake61 Sun 24-Jan-21 18:28:38

Hi Somersetlass and welcome?. I'm sure loads of suggestions will be flying your way! I tried slimming world with limited success,I was never hungry but weightloss was snail like. Personally I have found calorie counting the most beneficial. It was a bit of a shock to the system after SW when you see how big,or small a portion is! I think that's really important though and there are so many online resources,many of which are free,that it was easier than I thought it would be! Good luck.?

CocoPops Mon 25-Jan-21 03:15:14

129.8 lbs this morning , a loss of 0.4lbs since last week and just under my target of 130lbs .
Good Luck Dorset. Reading your post about face packs reminded me of when I emerged from the bathroom with a black face pack on (charcoal). My dog looked at me and ran under a chair where she stayed until I'd washed it off!
Welome Somersetlass, I just reduced the carbohydrates and don't eat desserts other than the occasional apple or orange. I eat lots of veggies and try to remember to drink more water.
Stay well everyone.

Shirleyw Mon 25-Jan-21 03:42:44

Well done on the weight loss sarahmob, fourirmore & cocoapops.
I lost 1 and a half pounds this week. Another 2lbs and I will be the top end of normal weight ?

Hi somersetlass, yes, I started with slimming world and wasn’t that successful. I lost when I did the SP week or two but found I was eating the free food too freely.
I’m now doing theNHS better health, calorie counting, i have the app on my phone, I log my calories daily. Calorie counting for me is the way to go. I write everything down and tot it up then put the calories on app.

We had plenty of snow yesterday, we went for a lovely walk in it, everything looks lovely in the snow. Won’t be so great when I have to get in car to drive to work though.
Have a good week guys.

Dorsetcupcake61 Mon 25-Jan-21 06:29:08

Morning all?. Well done Cocopops and Shirley?. Popped in to stay I stood on scales this morning and have lost 1 and 3/4 lbs! I've often found this happens when weigh on Monday, shows how it can fluctuate. I didnt eat any less yesterday but over past week have had ordinary meals in reasonable portions. That said all the meals I cook tend to follow a healthier approach ?. It might be due as well to the stopping of the nibbling that went on over Christmas. If I want it to continue I will maybe need to be more targeted. Have a good week everyone.

somersetlass Mon 25-Jan-21 07:34:14

Ah thank you everyone for the warm welcome and suggestions! It's really inspiring to read your comments. I think I'll look into the NHS calorie counting thing/app as I probably need to count calories. This week is going to be mental as we move house on Friday and I know I'll need 'treats' to get through it ;) Maybe I'll set Feb 1st as my start date? Have a good week smile

Beechnut Mon 25-Jan-21 07:41:45

A pound on this week. I don’t go out much these days and this past week have been very idle. I’ve looked at the 15 minute walk and made a start yesterday with a five minute one. A few bursts throughout the day are better than nothing.
Good luck Dorset.

Whiff Mon 25-Jan-21 09:01:56

Just a quick one for now. Well done all the losers. And welcome somersetlass. My daughter has just phoned she started with a cough yesterday got tested and had the results last night she has Covid. I phoned 119 about having a home test. They said if I get symptoms to phone again and a test will be couriered to me and a courier will pick it up. Luckily know how to do it as had a test in December. Don't have a strong gag reflex luckily.

Just hope she doesn't get it to badly. So far rest of the family are fine.

Dorsetcupcake61 Mon 25-Jan-21 09:05:38

Sending hugs Whiff?. Fingers crossedxxx

Sarahmob Mon 25-Jan-21 10:03:27

Sending hugs Whiff, I hope that the news is good for you and that you avoid infection. Hope that your daughter makes a speedy recovery too ?xx

Whiff Tue 26-Jan-21 06:26:44

Beechnut just realised I didn't mention you sorry. It's a blip you will soon be on track. To be honest it's been to cold to do much. All we want to do is stay warm and cosy.

The threat of Covid hanging over me spurted me on to stick to my allowance yesterday. Didn't exercise as felt tired all day and after putting my soup on to cook. Lay on the sofa didn't go to sleep. But after hour got up and gave myself a talking to. So got on with some jobs.

Last night at bedtime I started to cough and thought is this it. No silly me I was thirsty. I am usually level headed and not prone to flights of fancy shows how this disease can change the way you think.

Dorset hope your induction day went well.

Stay safe and well dear friends. ?

Whiff Wed 27-Jan-21 07:14:36

That's it I asked an innocent question on the menopause site and get attacked and talked to as if I am an idiot. Nowhere is as nice as here. We can talk about anything and everything and support eachother through thick and thin. NanKate gave us all a safe place. It's like a comfy pair of slippers. I won't be asking anymore questions on any other forums again. That's twice now. Not making it a third time. If I need to find an answer I will ask your wonderful pears.

Dorsetcupcake61 Wed 27-Jan-21 17:26:18

We are always here for you Whiff?. If it's any comfort on daily briefing Johnathon Van Tam just said on briefing that very young childeren can transmit virus but it's more of a problem if teenagers. Your question was perfectly reasonable,yes they can but less likely.
Hope you are ok,keep smiling. I'm enjoying job?

NanKate Wed 27-Jan-21 17:57:58

Sorry Whiff you got this knock back. I’ve noticed a couple of times when I have started a perfectly innocent threads some GN members get really ‘arsy’ so I keep to the safe threads. mostly now.

Let’s have a virtual group hug ??

Whiff Wed 27-Jan-21 20:01:12

Thank you both. Have sent off for Covid test kit today. Don't feel well at all . Been very tired since Sunday and now have temperature. My boiler decided to pack up tonight. Homeserve coming tomorrow morning. Badly cut my thumb yesterday that's 3. Going to bed now. Sweet dreams pears.

NanKate Wed 27-Jan-21 22:20:25

Do hope you feel better tomorrow Whiff ?

Shirleyw Thu 28-Jan-21 04:23:44

*hope you feel better soon whif

SisterAct Thu 28-Jan-21 06:35:55

I hope you have had a good nights sleep Whiff and are feeling a bit better

Hope everyone else are keeping well and having a good week.

Dorsetcupcake61 Thu 28-Jan-21 06:53:32

I hope things are better this morning Whiff??

Sarahmob Thu 28-Jan-21 11:18:51

Hope you are feeling better today Whiff. ?

Whiff Thu 28-Jan-21 16:24:08

Feeling about the same thank you all . Test kit came it was broken had to re order. Engineer came switched on boiler it worked no noise. Stayed 30mins checked it all. He said if it makes the noise again to record it. He will phone tomorrow to check everything is ok. So glad I have Homeserve. At least I am warm again and have hot water. ?

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion