Gransnet forums

Education

Can anyone help with appeal please?

(31 Posts)
gillybob Thu 05-May-16 13:04:50

I wondered if anyone had any experience or advice on appealing against a school admission refusal?

My DS and DDiL and the 3 children moved house last month. They have moved 6 miles away from their previous home. Before they moved I telephoned the (primary)school close to their new house and had a long chat with the school secretary. She told me that the school was oversubscribed and that the vast amount of children in the school come from out of the area as this is a feeder primary to one of the better Comprehensives. I spoke to the LEA who said that there was very little chance of the children getting places but they should apply anyway, which we have done. They have been refused places (oversubscribed) and have been invited to appeal. I don't know how long we can manage to get the children to and from school as parents work full time and they rely on me (and other grandma and great-grandma) to pick up and drop off. Any advice would be gratefully received.

gettingonabit Mon 03-Oct-16 13:36:16

So your daughter moved house knowing that the new school was oversubscribed?

If that IS the case (sorry if I've grabbed the wrong end of the stick btw) then the new LEA would probably say "tough luck, ddgillybob, it might have been a good idea to check out places before committing to a house move".

Head over to Mumsnet-lots of experience over there.

Good luck. smile. Sounds as though you're doing loads to help.

gillybob Mon 03-Oct-16 13:51:27

It wasn't exactly like that gettingonabit. I don't want to put all the details on a public forum but they (DS and DDiL) had very little choice about moving.

Also there are 3 primary schools within a 5-10-15 minute walk from their new house (two of which had places in December 2015 when they committed to move and one who had places in March this year when they physically moved). Now none have places (or so we are lead to believe as the figures from one school have changed so many times I have almost lost count).

gillybob Mon 03-Oct-16 14:00:05

The problem is f77ms is that they have taken so long (8 months from house move and original application) that there were places but now there are none. We would be happy if LEA would provide transport which they are extremely reluctant --to pay for--do.

Secondary school within minutes walk from house but consistently full from feeder schools, then siblings. I spoke to the admissions secretary on Friday who said DGD had very little chance of getting in unless she got into a feeder (which is where we are at the moment with the appeals).

daphnedill Mon 03-Oct-16 14:14:51

The law states that the authority MUST provide transport to the nearest school with places, provided it is over two miles away (for primary).

If there is any primary school within the catchment area of the secondary school, you really should try to get a place, even if the school isn't your preferred choice.

My fear is that you don't have a strong case. I know you don't feel that you've been treated fairly, but you can only win the appeal if you can prove that the school is the ONLY one which can provide the education your grandchild needs. The school is already up to its limit, so it has the upper hand in law. The appeal panel will not take any notice of the transport difficulties.

Fingers crossed for you, but, if I were in your shoes, I'd be considering an alternative secondary school and finding out how this would affect the place on the waiting list for the preferred school.

gettingonabit Mon 03-Oct-16 16:04:33

Just trying to get my head around the timescales...so your dd was told last April there were places, having just moved to the new area in March?

None of my business I know but why was there such a long gap between moving and applying for the places?

I really feel for you actually-for 3 primaries to be full when you're living in catchment (presumably you are, being so close) is tough.

I think it's worth appealing, though. I'm assuming that the places are all currently taken, but that may change, and at least you're in a position to take up the places.

However it may prove even more complicated if the dgcs end up in different schools.

Fingers crossed. flowers.