Gransnet forums

Education

School issues

(88 Posts)
MissAdventure Fri 29-Dec-17 12:03:00

Some of you may remember the problems encountered regarding schooling when a parent was too ill to take the child.
The school told me that they weren't bothered about grandson missing days, as they knew the circumstances.
We had a mentoring charity helping us for the last little while, which was sadly, too late. However, when my grandson finished school for Christmas, he came home with a letter addressed to his mum, at her address.
Considering I have informed the school that circumstances have changed, do you think its reasonable to request a meeting to ask how on earth such a thing has happened?

Elrel Fri 05-Jan-18 00:57:38

Well done - wishing you and GS all the best for the future. ?

MissAdventure Fri 05-Jan-18 01:03:24

smile thank you.

grannyactivist Fri 05-Jan-18 01:17:33

Not sure how I missed this thread MissA, but I would have said pretty much the same as others did and I'm so glad that this ongoing difficulty is on the way to being sorted at last. It was very brave of you to persevere and not let this slide. You'll never know about it, but some time in the future you may just have helped another young person at the school who has suffered a bereavement from having to go through similar difficulties. flowers

WilmaKnickersfit Fri 05-Jan-18 01:35:59

Glad to hear things are getting sorted after your efforts. New Year, new term, let's hope things go well for you and your DGS from now on. flowers

Nadcho Mon 12-Mar-18 17:21:12

Hello guys
I have gone through few post on this forum thought of sharing my issue and getting some feed back and suggestions my issue with secondary school of my daughter.

My daughter has been in secondary school since September 2017 and this February we had her report send to us by school for last 5 months . And what we saw in report was completely shocking , her academic performance was really low , and her ATL was extremely bad . So has parent thought of fixing meeting with school to find out more about the issue . But when went for meeting there was no constructive or productive solution by school .
Issue which I raised with school after speaking to my daughter

1) why were parents not connected when her performance was going down , the only way we found out about this is my report from school after 5 months

2) what has school done to support her to improve her performance level .

3) The other thing which was reflected in report was my daughter is really chatty and not focused . But her she was never like this in fact she is very committed, self motivated , enthusiastic and very compatative kid

4) we feel some of the teachers are picking on her and she is blamed for anything and everything that happens in class.

During our meeting nothing came out I’m thinking of escalating this further any advice will highly appreciate.

Thanks

Nadcho Mon 12-Mar-18 17:22:39

Hello guys
I have gone through few post on this forum thought of sharing my issue and getting some feed back and suggestions my issue with secondary school of my daughter.

My daughter has been in secondary school since September 2017 and this February we had her report send to us by school for last 5 months . And what we saw in report was completely shocking , her academic performance was really low , and her ATL was extremely bad . So has parent thought of fixing meeting with school to find out more about the issue . But when went for meeting there was no constructive or productive solution by school .
Issue which I raised with school after speaking to my daughter

1) why were parents not connected when her performance was going down , the only way we found out about this is my report from school after 5 months

2) what has school done to support her to improve her performance level .

3) The other thing which was reflected in report was my daughter is really chatty and not focused . But her she was never like this in fact she is very committed, self motivated , enthusiastic and very compatative kid

4) we feel some of the teachers are picking on her and she is blamed for anything and everything that happens in class.

During our meeting nothing came out I’m thinking of escalating this further any advice will highly appreciate.

Thanks

eazybee Mon 12-Mar-18 19:26:56

Is there a form tutor/class teacher/personal tutor, Head of House you can liaise with regularly?
Is there a home school book you and the school can write comments in?
Is there a plan for improvement with targets to be met?

You have been informed of her poor performance and now it is up to you to work with the school to help her improve .
Ignore 'the teachers picking on her' for the moment; focus on her disruptive behaviour in class and insist she tells you why.
Whatever you do, work with the school, not against them; that is unproductive.

trisher Mon 12-Mar-18 20:30:39

I agree with eazybee nothing will come of taking a combative stance with the schol right now. They may well ask why you didn't check her homework and spot that she wasn't doing well.As for her behaviour in school if I had a pound for every time a parent has told me their child wasn't something or other I'd be worth a fortune She's started a new school she sounds as if she is making her mark by behaving badly. Talk to her, but present a united front with the school. A home school book is a great idea.

Faye Mon 12-Mar-18 22:07:14

I have only just read this thread. I am so sorry to read about your daughter MissAdventure. flowers

MissAdventure Mon 12-Mar-18 22:12:05

Thank you, Faye, and as an extra P.S to the thread, I had to phone the school 2 weeks ago, to ask why I hadn't ever received a text or email from them.
A recorded delivery letter went off to the headmistress on Friday last week, informing her.

silverlining48 Tue 13-Mar-18 10:04:31

Oh MissA, what a struggle that you should never have had to go through. Shame on that school. I hope your latest letter might improve things. flowers

trisher Tue 13-Mar-18 10:24:34

MissA How dreadful for you. You have had such a struggle. I don't understand what is going on in your GS's school. Sometimes schools are incompetent and things slip through, but usually they do act when pushed. You seem to have somewhere not only incompetent but totally insensitive. I am totally ashamed to have ever been a member of the same profession as these people. Stay strong and do let us know if you ever get good news.