Gransnet forums

Education

School subjects

(30 Posts)
varian Sat 25-Jul-20 19:27:30

When I was at school ( a very long tjme ago) I loved Maths and Art but disliked Latin and PE

What were your favourite lessons?

biba70 Sat 25-Jul-20 19:35:04

Depends when - some subjects I hated at secondary school, but loved in the 6th Form - like German, History and biology. Loved PE. Always hated physics and chemistry.

Newbiegran Sat 25-Jul-20 19:40:16

Loved languages, hated PE and Maths (and Sciences!) Still do!

TheFrugalPiggy Sat 25-Jul-20 19:41:11

Hated maths and PE.
Loved history and English.

MissAdventure Sat 25-Jul-20 19:45:02

I liked English, French and biology.
Hated all the rest, and hated everything about school.

Oopsminty Sat 25-Jul-20 19:47:05

I loved English Language and Literature

History too. Especially architecture

Latin and German made me cry but I was very good at Spanish.

Chewbacca Sat 25-Jul-20 19:47:56

Loved English literature, English language and history. Hated anything mathematical or scientific, in particular, dissecting that frog in Biology.

MissAdventure Sat 25-Jul-20 19:53:04

I really really enjoyed sociology when I went to night classes as an adult.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 25-Jul-20 20:49:29

Loved geography, maths and sciences, loved Latin but changed schools and it was not on the curriculum.

jenpax Sat 25-Jul-20 21:02:24

I loved English both Lit and Lang ,History, French, German and Latin I also enjoyed Chemistry and Biology because the teachers were inspirational
I hated and feared maths! And hated PE. I also detested sewing and cookery although I loved (and still do) cooking at home! The cookery teacher was deadly dull and we never made anything interesting only cheese straws and scones!

Lexisgranny Sat 25-Jul-20 21:06:54

Loved English literature and Language, together with History. Hated PE (except tennis), Maths and Science. Am really glad that I studied Latin, though I didn’t enjoy it at the time because of the etymological value.

Calendargirl Sat 25-Jul-20 21:27:41

Loved English language and literature, and hockey.

Hated maths, physics, needlework.

GrandmaMoira Sat 25-Jul-20 21:30:19

I loved English and History. All the written subjects were okay but hated PE and art.

Galaxy Sat 25-Jul-20 21:30:50

Loved english and sociology. Hated physics and art.

PinkCakes Sat 25-Jul-20 21:49:46

I liked English, Art, Social Sciences, Typing and Shorthand.

I hated pretty much everything else.

Luckygirl Sat 25-Jul-20 22:08:05

I hated school - so that tainted everything for me.

But I enjoyed music and languages - I did Latin, English, French and German.

PE taught me ingenuity in finding as many excuses as I could to get out of it!! How many periods can one girl have? - how many times can one dog die? - one ankle get sprained?
I so hated it - every miserable second of it; and sadly that put me off the rest of school as I spent my whole time dreading PE days, of which there seemed to be many.

Lucca Sat 25-Jul-20 22:18:37

Luckygirl

I hated school - so that tainted everything for me.

But I enjoyed music and languages - I did Latin, English, French and German.

PE taught me ingenuity in finding as many excuses as I could to get out of it!! How many periods can one girl have? - how many times can one dog die? - one ankle get sprained?
I so hated it - every miserable second of it; and sadly that put me off the rest of school as I spent my whole time dreading PE days, of which there seemed to be many.

Lucky girl,that’s a shame. Do you think you would have hated school as much if it has been like schools today ?

I liked languages English lit And sometimes history. Hopeless at science and maths.
I was hopeless at domestic science (sorry Food technology!
) and needlework (sorry textiles). Enjoyed hockey hated lacrosse.

WOODMOUSE49 Sun 26-Jul-20 00:02:23

Loved Maths then and now. Hated French.

So much of what I liked at schools had to do with particular teachers.

jenpax Sun 26-Jul-20 12:26:32

It was the same for me WOODMOUSE49 I was inspired by some teachers but not others!For example I had really poor disjointed maths teaching, including one teacher who used to shout at us if we got the answer wrong or ridicule us to the whole class; this gave me a real phobia about maths despite being quite good at chemistry! I managed to pass chemistry and physics O’levels but was let down with a better grade because of the maths! So sad really it’s taken years to over come my mental block around maths!

DiscoGran Sun 26-Jul-20 13:00:54

I loved PE and Games. Enjoyed English and Sciences but not maths. Loved French, but mainly because of fit teacher (all the girls had a crush on him, he looked like David Essex). ?

MerylStreep Sun 26-Jul-20 13:12:01

I was the hockey team captain and in the school swimming team ( competitive, me, no ?)
If I could have done those 2 sports all the time I would have been happy. Like some here, I hated it. It was beyond me that some cried when leaving Day came.

Charleygirl5 Sun 26-Jul-20 13:28:10

I hated indoor PE but loved tennis, hockey, baseball but I was not a fan of cricket. I was at boarding school so we were outdoors 7 days a week playing some game or other.

I loved psychology but it was only taught for a year.

English language, literature, Latin, French and Italian were also on my list. I am better at Latin now than I ever was then. I won the annual prize for French.

Maths, physics and chemistry were foreign languages to me.

I do not know about today but we were only allowed to sit exams if there was a very good chance of a decent grade.

Davida1968 Sun 26-Jul-20 13:34:08

Loved English. Hated "Needlework". (But oddly, as an adult, I have always been OK with undertaking sewing tasks, etc.)

GrannySomerset Sun 26-Jul-20 13:42:36

Loved English, History and Music (the subjects GD1 is taking at A level), hated Maths and Hockey and mostly enjoyed everything else. Have been grateful in adult life that debating and public speaking were encouraged and I have never been afraid to voice an opinion (sadly, if my family is to be believed!)

varian Sun 26-Jul-20 19:21:09

I've noticed that most of the posters on this thread did not like maths, which was always my favourite subject.

I think that is typical of women of our generation.

Even now there are more boys than girls doing A level Maths but the girls are catching up.

There is absolutely no inherent reason that girls cannot do as well as boys in maths, physics, IT and engineering - the so called STEM subjects.

I hope that our grand-daughters will prove that to be true.