Gransnet forums

Education

Wasted school time

(161 Posts)
Nanof3 Wed 07-Jul-21 09:12:16

This morning the BBC showed a large number of school children aged about 11 singing a song they had learnt to show their support for the football.
So many of these children will have lost months of schooling and have a lot of catching up to do before they break up for the summer holidays.
It smacks of indoctrination to me that nothing is regarded as more important than football. Not all children are sport fans including one of my grandsons who would have been bored and resentful if he was forced to take part in such a waste of time and effort.

tanith Wed 07-Jul-21 09:35:04

I take your point but they looked to me like they were having a lot of fun and just joyful to back with their friends and teachers.

Lucca Wed 07-Jul-21 09:37:16

I’m tempted to say lighten up ! They won’t have spent hours learning the song, it’s good to sing together too

GrannyGravy13 Wed 07-Jul-21 09:39:33

There is far more to education than reading, writing and arithmetic. Friendship, personal development, sports and exercise etc.

The children need some fun after the last 16 months.

Grandma70s Wed 07-Jul-21 09:41:12

I didn’t like it. What if the children don’t support England, or (like me) don’t give a damn either way? I’m all for singing together, but there are better things to sing.

trisher Wed 07-Jul-21 09:42:44

Heaven forbid that children should have any fun, singing and football should be banned.
Now, what I want is Facts. Teach these boys and girls nothing but Facts. Facts alone are wanted in life. Plant nothing else, and root out everything else. You can only form the mind of reasoning animals upon Facts: nothing else will ever be of any service to them. -Mr Gradgrind.

timetogo2016 Wed 07-Jul-21 09:43:24

If it puts a smile on their faces i`m all for it.
We have had enough sadness to put up with so go for it kiddies.

Ellianne Wed 07-Jul-21 09:55:06

Lovely. I think primary school teachers are well skilled at organising a variety of fun activities. Singing a football song will have been one very small part of the week filled with art, dance, drama, outdoor play etc. One child might love football another might love painting.
Learning facts all day is overrated.

NotSpaghetti Wed 07-Jul-21 09:55:38

Nanof3, I'd be less concerned about the singing (which most children like to do) than the fact that it's about the football.

Gwyneth Wed 07-Jul-21 09:56:44

At least those children are actually in school and having fun. What is alarming is that figures are now showing that the non attendance of thousands of children is not as a result of Covid.

geekesse Wed 07-Jul-21 10:08:15

They learnt words. They learnt a tune. They learnt to all sing the same thing together at the same time. They learnt to follow the teacher conducting. They learnt to stand together in a group and work together as a team to learn and perform the song. Some of them learnt to act enthusiasm for something they don’t much care about (though I think you’ll find there are fewer of those than you think). They learnt about how a TV outside broadcast works, and how to deliver a performance for broadcast. Oh, and they had fun. How is any of that a waste of time?

Redhead56 Wed 07-Jul-21 10:09:05

My son disliked football at school and was only interested in running so would have not liked having to sing about football. It might have been better for it to be optional giving each school child the choice.

Nanof3 Wed 07-Jul-21 10:11:17

I didn't mind the singing it's having football forced on everyone that bothers me.
Go Denmark!

Jaxjacky Wed 07-Jul-21 11:12:51

I doubt if any were ‘forced’, most teachers don’t work that way. ?????????????????????

Antonia Wed 07-Jul-21 11:22:16

It might have been better for it to be optional giving each school child the choice.
And who looks after the children who don't care to sing?

trisher Wed 07-Jul-21 12:06:03

Why not make everything "optional" some children hate doing maths????

vegansrock Wed 07-Jul-21 12:10:58

I’m not bothered about football but is it any different to singing about nymphs and shepherds or we three kings or anything else ? It’s singing together is the important bit, some kids won’t like it, but some don’t like art or maths either.

Grandmabatty Wed 07-Jul-21 12:12:04

I'm with Geekesse here. Some will be football fans or have parents who are. Singing together encourages so many skills. Good for them. And my team isn't in the running!

NotSpaghetti Wed 07-Jul-21 15:41:49

Ok, maybe I have the wrong end of the stick here. I assumed they were having to sing a particular football song (Football's coming home springs to mind) which would not be in support of "their" team for quite a few.
Maybe they were singing about football in general?

Of my seven grandchildren, for example, one is "cheering on" Italy and another had been "supporting" Germany. My next-door-neighbour and family were all for Scotland.
I admit most of us would be backing England but really, it's not a neutral topic any more than a political one would be.

Nanof3, please can you post the link?

Lucca Wed 07-Jul-21 15:46:48

Redhead56

My son disliked football at school and was only interested in running so would have not liked having to sing about football. It might have been better for it to be optional giving each school child the choice.

??? How would that work ?

Chewbacca Wed 07-Jul-21 15:47:55

School children singing? All together? OMG that should be stopped immediately. What about breaches in COVID rules? Did they wear masks? And what if some of those children didn't actually support that football team and so may have suffered trauma? Clearly this was a breach of something.

Lucca Wed 07-Jul-21 15:49:28

Nanof3

I didn't mind the singing it's having football forced on everyone that bothers me.
Go Denmark!

Don’t like football either but so what ? It’s a pretty important sporting event and could lead to loads of teaching/learning about teams numbers countries flags etc etc

25Avalon Wed 07-Jul-21 16:05:59

At dd’s primary school they have stopped doing catch up maths and English as it is affecting some children’s mental health. Instead they are doing fun things. This week dd is away with year 6 on an activity holiday.

Children do need cheering up. Most of the country (England) is cheering the National football team and looking forward to tonight’s game, even those who are not regular supporters. Why should children be left out? They want to be part of this too. You don’t have to like football or playing sports. It can unite us all albeit briefly.

PaperMonster Wed 07-Jul-21 16:26:01

What a fab thing for the children to do! My daughter’s primary age and has been involved in a big-sing type thing recently. Loved it. She’s not a footy fan but would still have loved being involved in something like this.

NotSpaghetti Wed 07-Jul-21 16:29:10

Please can someone post the link?
Thanks