Gransnet forums

Estrangement

How do I forget they exist?

(210 Posts)
JEMz Sun 09-Jun-19 11:31:22

I have spent another weekend in a dark place missing my grandson & wishing I could be part of his life again.

My daughter, who I brought up pretty much on my own, has been quite ungrateful, rude & disrespectful since her teenage years.

She was my everything growing up & being a young mum I made mistakes but I know it my heart I loved, nurtured & treated her extremely well. I believe I spoilt her to a certain extent, not just with material things but with attention. My life revolved around her completely.

Over the years & the older she got she became more rude & disrespectful but would always call me if she ever needed anything or was in trouble.

She had my grandson at 18 so I became a young grandmother. Although I was extremely disappointed I embraced him & loved him wholeheartedly for the last 4 years.

She has completely stopped me from seeing him on a few occasions, mainly when she doesn’t get what she wants or following another unreasonable & unnecessarily argument.

I have tried attending counselling sessions with her as she was telling people she had suffered trauma as a child & felt neglected. It was all lies & she could only say that I worked full time, meaning she was at childminders & that she was lonely as an only child which I could’ve prevented if I found a partner & had more children.

I am in a loving relationship now but my partner no longer wants to see me hurt so I can not share my feelings with him. He believes I should distance myself from my daughter, which I have but I was having my grandson at least once a month for a few days.

The last time was Easter. I took a few days off work to have my grandson. We had a wonderful time, he is such a lovely boy. The first day I had to take him shopping as the clothes he is always sent with are dirty, too small or old. I believe my daughter does this on purpose to inconvenience me & because I usually end up buying him new clothes but this time & the last time he came I decided to keep the clothes for the next time he comes. He now has a nice collection for all weathers & swimming trunks too. I’ve always had over night things for him so she never had to pack these things.

I knew my grandson loved Lego so I dedicated one of the days to Lego! We purchased some new Lego City boxes. Admittedly I spoilt him slightly & we went home & spent the whole day playing Lego. I said “you love Lego don’t you?” & he replied “I love playing it more with you”. It was a wonderful day.

A couple days later I took him to my parents house. I planned to spend Easter Sunday with them. I had also purchased a spare box of Lego to take to my parents for when we go there as he always played with left over Lego from my nephew but couldn’t make anything properly.

Whilst on the way to my parents my daughter called to say she was there. As I walked through the door I was slightly taken back by her over enthusiasm. I also find it hard to know whether my daughter is being genuinely nice. However it didn’t take long for communication to become difficult.

All of a sudden my daughter said my grandson told her he couldn’t take the Lego home. I told her I’d bought it for this house. She went on telling me that he’s her son & she gets to choose where his toys are. This went on for sometime, she was saying I was wrong for buying Lego for my house & my parents house but not his own house. I explained that this was so he had toys when he goes to these places.

My mum stepped in & told her she should buy their own Lego. She became more disrespectful towards me. Saying it’s the principle I should’ve bought it when I was getting the others. She said this is why she has no respect for me & said I just won’t be able to see him.

She then proceeded to purchase boxes & boxes of Lego online with him, at the dinner table in front of me. This made my grandson start to talk to me like I was intensionally keeping his Lego & now he will have more than me. When I told him to eat his dinner he said “no”. A behaviour he hadn’t demonstrated over the five days or ever before.

I got ready to leave soon after. Whilst I hugged him, he held me tight, I know he had a wonderful time but unfortunately it had come to an abrupt end.

I thought I needed time away from my daughter so I decided to not contact him as I usually did every week. It used to be every few days but had become less. I have become upset every now & again. Especially when something good is happening in my life or I’m missing him. I think about him & the situation practically everyday. I feel different, like I’m wounded & a piece of my heart is missing. When it’s too much I breakdown like someone has died.

Everyone advises me to leave them & have distance. I also saw a medium who advised me to wait a few months before contacting or trying to see my grandson. It’s been hard but a couple of weekends ago I asked my partner to send a message asking to have him. My daughter said as she doesn’t know him enough I need to ask myself, even though we’ve been together for three years & she’s even borrowed money off him. I then asked my mum to send the message, my daughter said I need to ask myself. I couple of days later she mentioned I could ask her partner, my grandson’s dad, too.

By then it was too late as I had made plans. I had again been told by everyone that I should leave them as I was starting a new job which was a promotion & massive opportunity for me.

After a wonderful first week I went to my uncles 70th birthday party, I went home & cried as I had felt the loss of a daughter & grandson. The following morning, yesterday, I woke with tears in my eyes again. I rang my mother & mentioned that I will contact my grandsons dad. I spent the whole day upset so needed to calm myself down & perk myself up before calling. My partner is away so I don’t have him here to express his annoyance of the situation which usually makes me stop showing my hurt & distract myself.

Yesterday my mum sent a message to my daughter telling her to make arrangements with me to see my grandson which she didn’t receive well as she reiterated that I could contact the dad. I wasn’t sure why she had done that but know she was trying to help.

My sister, who is fed up with the continuous battle rang but took sometime to suggest that she could try to facilitate me seeing my grandson. I was grateful & thanked her but advised that I showed try the his dad first. I also mentioned that it upset me when she’d say “this situation with you two” or “you both...” I tried to explain that this is not a ‘you two’ situation. My daughter is the unreasonable one & I was only trying to be a loving Grandmother. She took this personally & became annoyed. I did not need this on top of how I was already feeling.

My daughter has changed her WhatsApp photo to a quote about toxic mothers being as bad as absent fathers. The has added salt to the wound.

I called the dad with no response I sent him a message asking to see my grandson at the end of the month.

I instantly regretted it as everyone told me to leave it. I feel I’m in a trap of control with my daughter. I’m tired of the back & forth & arguments. She knows I’m a wonderful grandmother, she used to tell me & occasionally thank me. That’s why I’d have to hide my annoyance when she’d make out like she’s so surprised that I had done the special thing I’d done for him.

I’m now waiting for a response but this is just this time. If they say yes I may have to see her, which I’d rather not & I’ll have the same problem the next time I try to see him. If they say no or do not respond then I’m here no better off as I doubt they’ll suggest an alternative day.

I have these breakdowns when I’m happiest because I’m missing them. The last time was my leaving do after 10 years, having everyone tell me how well I’d done all day, I wished my daughter was there to tell me she was proud of me.

Like now, I was naturally asked if I have children at this new job & pretended to my new colleagues that I had a wonderful relationship with my daughter & grandson.

Also being at my uncles leaving do, amongst family, feeling ashamed that I don’t have a wonderful relationship like all my cousins do with their children.

Once again I’m leaving it & will wait until this evening for a response but I think I just need to accept that I need to walk away for good. I don’t want the situation to make me ill. My daughter is pregnant now so I’m sure this situation will only get worse. I also feel I do not want to get too close to the new baby so the pain is not so bad when I am in this situation with them.

I just need the strength, I miss my grandson & miss being involved in his life. I feel so mistreated & upset that I don’t have a daughter I can have a normal relationship with. The whole thing is just unfair & I know I don’t deserve it.

I found this group & reading some of your experiences have made me feel less alone which is why I’m sharing this with you.

Thank you.

Starlady Tue 18-Jun-19 02:16:20

Good points, Smileless!

hopeful1 Tue 18-Jun-19 10:09:59

Smileless I think you've hit the nail on the head as to why I get random nastiness. Today is a better day with more positive thoughts for the future, it's going to be a long journey but reassured that others have managed it too. Thank you.

Smileless2012 Tue 18-Jun-19 10:52:39

flowersfor you hopefull it's good to hear that you are having some positive thoughts for the future.

It is a long journey, a journey that will last a life time and there will come a time when you'll do what me and Mr. S. have done. You'll look back to those first years and wonder how on earth you managed to get through it, because you will get through x.

Namsnanny Wed 19-Jun-19 00:04:07

hopefull…...I cannot say anything better than smileless has, just that I'm sorry this is happening to you.
shamrock flowers

Starlady Wed 19-Jun-19 09:33:04

Hugs, hopefull!

Sandmb Sat 14-Mar-20 22:04:59

I think you should put this on a legal footing and get a child arrangement order so you can have regular access on regular days not having to beg for times to see him. He’s very important to you and you are important to him and both deserve to be part of each other’s life. It’s not an easy decision but you need to fight to see him as you will never forgive yourself if you walk away. I know where your coming from as I’m in a similar situation where my daughter and husband just got up and left taking their 5 children and then not letting me see/talk/text so I tool them to court without a solicitor with tge aid of McKenzie friend and I’ve now got regular access and phone call with the ultimate being 1/2 the holidays but they knew I fought for them. Think seriously about doing it cos it will be worth it in the end. I’m here if you want to talk or help

Namsnanny Sat 14-Mar-20 22:27:53

Wow Sandmb ...I've never heard of a Gparent actually getting a result in their favour from the courts before!

How wonderful for you all!
Are the gchildren coping with the arrangements ok?

If you don't mind telling what were the circumstances?

LeeElizabeth Sat 13-Jun-20 00:13:35

It feels like someone died only they are still there. They just don't want to talk to you. I'm regretting all the times I got so frustrated that I wished I wasn't a Mom. That wish was granted and I miss my daughter.

Smileless2012 Sat 13-Jun-20 09:49:50

The feeling that someone's died even though they haven't is why estrangement if often described as a living bereavement LeeElizabeth.

The silence is deafening and heartbreaking but sometimes preferable to angry and hurtful conversations.