Gransnet forums

Estrangement

Struggling Sundays

(63 Posts)
Yennifer Sun 02-Feb-20 22:48:18

I haven't been in contact with my mother for a long time, years even but Sundays were always the day I went to visit. I would come home very ill with stomach cramps, partly because I have food allergies she thought were nonsense and I didn't want to risk the anger if I didn't eat and partly stress of holding it together and not rising to her nastiness I think. Now all that is over, no more stomach issues but every Sunday night without fail I don't sleep until sometimes 4 or 5am. I don't know if anyone has any advice for me, how to break this pattern, I've spoken to the doctor and tried sleeping pills which didn't work. It makes for an awful start to the week. Has anyone else experienced anything similar and know what I might be missing here? x x

Hithere Mon 10-Feb-20 13:51:02

Awesome! Next week will be even better

Mapleleaf Tue 11-Feb-20 10:47:11

That's great, Yennifer. ?

Yennifer Tue 11-Feb-20 13:36:39

I think it became more worry about sleep than anything so taking away the worry helped, thank you all x

Yennifer Wed 12-Feb-20 18:49:24

I'm very worried about sleeping tonight, I have to do something really stressful tomorrow and I'm feeling very anxious and tearful about it. Just hope I get at least a few hours x

Hithere Wed 12-Feb-20 19:29:43

What can you do to relax you and take your mind off of it?

Starlady Thu 13-Feb-20 05:19:58

Was glad to hear about your positive experience, but then saw your latest post. I hope you were able to put the anxious thoughts aside by reading (again) or watching an engaging TV show or something like that. Best of luck in the stressful activity!

Yennifer Thu 13-Feb-20 06:04:25

Really bad, 3 hours, hammering rain. One step in front of the other and it will be over after a long day x

Yennifer Thu 13-Feb-20 14:43:15

I'm home, it's done and it was for a good cause. Resting now x

Hithere Thu 13-Feb-20 14:52:30

So glad it is done!

Now reward yourself, you deserve it

Grammaretto Thu 13-Feb-20 15:06:23

Good result Yennifer. I think it's OK to nod off during the day for occasional catnaps too. There's no law saying all sleep must be in bed between the hours of 11pm and 7am, thankfully.

Yennifer Thu 13-Feb-20 15:36:02

Good advice, nap time x

Starlady Sat 15-Feb-20 11:56:21

"All's well that ends well."

Hope you got a good rest afterwards, Yennifer!