Gransnet forums

Estrangement

Daughter’s birthday, should I send her a birthday card ?

(384 Posts)
Dibbydod Mon 13-Jul-20 10:36:07

I really need to have some constructive opinions on this .My long term partner of 22 years ( we never lived together) passed away last October, and I was so consumed up with grief that I hit rock bottom over the next few months . During this awful time , my daughter decided she had enough of me ( I know I was very difficult to deal with , but couldn’t pull myself out of the hole I was in ) , then one morning, bit out of the blue , she sent me a hurtful text , saying a host of awful things to me , adding that if and when she decides to talk to me again it will be on her terms . I’d messaged her back pleading not to be like this ,that I was sorry that I’d been such a pain to deal with , that my doctor has put me on antidepressants, and to say that I love her and are very proud of her. She read it , but never replied .
She ignored Mother’s Day , not contacted me once over lockdown to see if I’m ok or want something ( I am registered disabled but I have car and try to be independent as much as possible ) , and worse still , my 68 th birthday was last week and was totally ignored by her .
I have mixed feelings about all this , because I have couple friends who’s daughters have done the same to them , also read many posts on here of similar situations. I feel I cannot go through rest of my life feeling so hurt and upset , wishing and hoping she will contact me , and , if and when she does , I know I’ll be walking on eggshells as be worrying if she will do this to me again. I’ve not been brought up to be doing any of this sort thing to my parents , if we have an issue , we talk it through , to resolve things , never to cut them out of ones life , and be so hurtful and disrespectful. My Mum would be mortified by this behaviour, so would my beloved partner . I didn’t raise my daughter to be so heartless. My son is very hurt also , saying that his family are falling apart .
With all this emotions going on, it’s her birthday coming up in couple weeks time , and I’m at a loss as to wether to send her a card , part of me says yes , I should, ( but feel she will rip it up ) but then I feel that I don’t want to , so maybe that way she will hopefully feel some hurt to know how it feels .
I’m in state of limbo , and would appreciate thoughts on this one. Oh , and I’d like to add, that I love my daughter dearly , have always been proud of her , and miss her terribly.

Dawn22 Tue 14-Jul-20 12:13:01

Whitewavemark
Best comment of all. Love it. From Dawn

Summerlove Tue 14-Jul-20 16:08:24

Dawn22

Hi Dibby
You may always have been proud of her but now is not the time to feel proud of her. She is letting herself down and you down by her treatment of you.

Young people and particularly young women have a real sense of entitlement these days and frequently give there mother's a hard time of it primarily because they know they can.

Love them but privately take your foot off the pride accelerator. Send a kind but neutral card with love from Mom or from your loving Mom. Your duty vs a vis her birthday is done and you have kept the door open
Pride in her won't currently serve you well as her recent behaviour is not nice.
Take care from Dawn.

Attitudes like these, regarding calling younger women entitled are exactly why so many conflicts happen between mothers and daughters or mother-in-law’s and daughter-in-law’s. Just accept the different generations do things differently.

Toadinthehole Tue 14-Jul-20 16:35:53

I would send a card with the same sentiment as I would if there were no problem. This communication shows you love her, and always will, no matter what. Unconditional love. It may not be so the other way round, but that’s fine, it doesn’t necessarily work that way ‘ upwards’, but in my opinion, always should ‘ downwards’. You need to keep consistent, and avoid sliding into this, “ she hurt me so I’ll hurt her back” attitude. Rise above it if you can, and be the bigger person, as you’ve always been as mum and daughter. I’m so sorry for your loss, and hope you will find peace.

agnurse Wed 15-Jul-20 03:14:06

Toadinthehole

The daughter has indicated she doesn't want to talk to her mom until she's ready. Unwanted contact is harassment if the person has been told not to make contact. Doesn't matter what the intention is.

Toadinthehole Wed 15-Jul-20 12:27:13

I don’t agree with you agnurse, but you’re entitled to your opinion. I used to get cards from my mum, even though there were problems. I saw it as a way back if I’d needed it. I didn’t, so no harm done. I did appreciate her trying in the only way she knew. What will be will be, whether cards are sent or not. I don’t see this as contact in the way you obviously do.

Hithere Wed 15-Jul-20 13:01:44

Let's make an analogy with "I will contact you when I am ready" and a cup of tea.

It might ring a bell to some posters as there is a similar effort in the internet to explain sexual consent and offering a cup of tea.

"I will contact you when I am ready"
"I will contact you when I am ready for a cup of tea"

OP is asking if she should send her dd a cup of tea (aka bday card)

Her dd said she would like a cup of tea when she asks for it, not when her mother is willing to offer her one.

Smileless2012 Wed 15-Jul-20 13:53:02

It was good to read your post @ 12.27 Toadinthehole. We've never sent out ES cards but I know some EP's do and often get criticised for harassing their AC.

For those who don't contact their EP's telling them to stop, perhaps it's because they view it the way you did. You've provided an interesting perspective; thank you.

Lucca Wed 15-Jul-20 13:55:00

Dont totally get the cup of tea thing, but think it’s a bit OTT . You don’t “ask” for birthday cards anyway so it doesn’t work.
Surely a mother can send a greetings card without needing permission.

Hithere Wed 15-Jul-20 14:11:21

Let me rephrase

"I will contact you when I want your cup of tea"

You can ask not to get bday cards/cup of tea. You can choose not to celebrate your bday, or how to celebrate it.

It is your prerogative as an adult. Choose how you would like to live.

A mother does not have permission to ignore those rules expecting no consequences for breaking the rules and ignoring what the other person wants.
No DNA link is strong enough for that magic wand to exist.

Elrel Wed 15-Jul-20 14:20:44

Send a card, with love.

Lucca Wed 15-Jul-20 15:04:17

Hithere

Let me rephrase

"I will contact you when I want your cup of tea"

You can ask not to get bday cards/cup of tea. You can choose not to celebrate your bday, or how to celebrate it.

It is your prerogative as an adult. Choose how you would like to live.

A mother does not have permission to ignore those rules expecting no consequences for breaking the rules and ignoring what the other person wants.
No DNA link is strong enough for that magic wand to exist.

So harsh. I stand by my opinion.

Smileless2012 Wed 15-Jul-20 15:52:42

In her OP Dibbydodd has said her D said "if and when" she decides to "talk" to her again "it will be on her terms".

No mention of any rules with regard to sending or not sending cards.

Hithere Wed 15-Jul-20 16:13:45

Smileless

If any adult child needs to specify what specific detailed rules would like to implement, it would take a whole encyclopedia

No talk
No smoke signals
No pidgeon messages
No cards
No text messages
No voice messages
No morse code
No magazine subscriptions
No presents
No third party messages
Etc

And yet, OP would find an action that is not in the list and use it as a loophole

Toadinthehole Wed 15-Jul-20 16:29:08

You’re welcome Smileless. Hithere, your analogy makes no sense. Birthday cards are a non confrontational way of showing someone you still care even if they don’t. If you were banging on their door, refusing to move until they’d spoken to you, then you’d have a point. Like Smileless, If I was in that situation, I would never give up on my child. Attitudes toward a parent can be entirely different.

Hithere Wed 15-Jul-20 16:39:24

No giving up on your child has different meanings

For me, it means honest communication and cooperation yo have a good relationship

Sending a card does not address anything

Harris27 Wed 15-Jul-20 16:46:15

Send her one you be the better person. We all have to live with ourselves and our actions. Good luck x

Lucca Wed 15-Jul-20 17:12:17

Hithere you give the impression of never wanting estranged families to be reconciled, and moreover of always assuming fault in the parent. Surely there is room for manoeuvre

Smileless2012 Wed 15-Jul-20 17:27:58

That just about sums it up Lucca "always assuming fault in the parent".

I wonder why it's OK for an AC to tell their parent that when and if they decide to talk to them it will be on their terms. Can you imagine the flack if a parent posted on GN that that's what they'd said to their AC?

Starblaze Wed 15-Jul-20 17:50:09

I don't think that's fair at all to say Hithere is anti reconsiliation.

My advice was to send no card and respect the child's adult decision.

This recommendation comes from an estranged child who talks to many other estranged children, the majority of whom get upset and/or angry when they receive cards they don't want.

If they are upset or angry with mum, whether or not mum agrees with why they are upset or angry, getting a card will just make most adult estranged children more upset and angry on what should be a happy day.

Then mum has even more negative emotion attached to them for not respecting their adult child's request for space.

This is the simple truth of the situation, give the adult child whatever kind of space they want and need right now and maybe they will come around.

That's pro reconsiliation, not anti.

A birthday card isn't what they need right now. What they need is space and time to figure things out. During this time, if they are owed an apology, this is what you should send, with an offer to really hear what they need to say to you, perhaps counsellimg/mediation and then a promise to not contact them and a hope they will contact you when ready.

This contact should come on a random boring day.

If they reply and what they need to say comes angry or with swearing, most parents should be able to cope with that and filter it out to see where the pain is coming from.

If parents can't truly listen, and respect their adult child's boundaries, then they probably need to get some sort of counselling and help to move forward and enjoy life without their child.

Doesn't matter if the adult child is right or wrong. You have to deal with how they feel now before you can get to whether they should feel that way.

Any good trained counsellor experienced in estrangement would probably advise this.

Madgran77 Wed 15-Jul-20 17:53:31

I used to get cards from my mum, even though there were problems. I saw it as a way back if I’d needed it. I didn’t, so no harm done. I did appreciate her trying in the only way she knew. What will be will be, whether cards are sent or not

That is interesting to see a measured and thoughtful response to the dilemma toadinthehole , allowing for the EPs perspective whilst sticking to meeting your own needs.

Hithere Wed 15-Jul-20 18:23:39

Thanks starblaze

I am very much pro reconciliation.

Starblaze Wed 15-Jul-20 18:29:37

Hithere ultimately OP will choose the advice they want to follow.

It's not a competition, the winning advice doesn't get a prize.

Turning a post into an argument against advice people don't like or that doesn't align with what they want to do/have already done, will not help the OP at all.

Hithere Wed 15-Jul-20 18:31:47

?

Madgran77 Wed 15-Jul-20 18:55:44

Turning a post into an argument against advice people don't like or that doesn't align with what they want to do/have already done, will not help the OP at all

I think that is very true on any thread.

Starblaze Wed 15-Jul-20 19:00:04

I think discussion threads are different to threads asking for advice really Madgran (unless it gets personal) but ok