Gransnet forums

Estrangement

Daughter’s birthday, should I send her a birthday card ?

(384 Posts)
Dibbydod Mon 13-Jul-20 10:36:07

I really need to have some constructive opinions on this .My long term partner of 22 years ( we never lived together) passed away last October, and I was so consumed up with grief that I hit rock bottom over the next few months . During this awful time , my daughter decided she had enough of me ( I know I was very difficult to deal with , but couldn’t pull myself out of the hole I was in ) , then one morning, bit out of the blue , she sent me a hurtful text , saying a host of awful things to me , adding that if and when she decides to talk to me again it will be on her terms . I’d messaged her back pleading not to be like this ,that I was sorry that I’d been such a pain to deal with , that my doctor has put me on antidepressants, and to say that I love her and are very proud of her. She read it , but never replied .
She ignored Mother’s Day , not contacted me once over lockdown to see if I’m ok or want something ( I am registered disabled but I have car and try to be independent as much as possible ) , and worse still , my 68 th birthday was last week and was totally ignored by her .
I have mixed feelings about all this , because I have couple friends who’s daughters have done the same to them , also read many posts on here of similar situations. I feel I cannot go through rest of my life feeling so hurt and upset , wishing and hoping she will contact me , and , if and when she does , I know I’ll be walking on eggshells as be worrying if she will do this to me again. I’ve not been brought up to be doing any of this sort thing to my parents , if we have an issue , we talk it through , to resolve things , never to cut them out of ones life , and be so hurtful and disrespectful. My Mum would be mortified by this behaviour, so would my beloved partner . I didn’t raise my daughter to be so heartless. My son is very hurt also , saying that his family are falling apart .
With all this emotions going on, it’s her birthday coming up in couple weeks time , and I’m at a loss as to wether to send her a card , part of me says yes , I should, ( but feel she will rip it up ) but then I feel that I don’t want to , so maybe that way she will hopefully feel some hurt to know how it feels .
I’m in state of limbo , and would appreciate thoughts on this one. Oh , and I’d like to add, that I love my daughter dearly , have always been proud of her , and miss her terribly.

Dibbydod Tue 21-Jul-20 07:25:59

Toetoe

Bless your heart dibbydod. Although we ( my sister ) and I dont know you , please know we are both thinking of you . X

Thank you so much Toetoe for your kind message x And thank you all for your comments/advice , I’ve taken note and decided I’ll send my daughter a birthday card , just something simple with simple message, because I feel that if I don’t I’ll always regret it , she is my daughter after all , I just hope that she will appreciate it , which deep down , I think she will x

Lucca Tue 21-Jul-20 07:46:38

Well done you , good decision. Sometimes you have to do what feels right without tying yourself in knots about it, and it’s just a card after all.

Smileless2012 Tue 21-Jul-20 09:11:29

I'm glad you've reached a decision that you feel comfortable with Dibbydod I hope you'll stay in touch and let us know how you're doing.

Take careflowers.

Granniesunite Tue 21-Jul-20 09:28:20

All the best to you Dibbydods . Not an easy descion I know.

Hope that now you've made up your mind you feel a little bit easier in your mind. Send her your love then practise letting the hurt go and be kind to yourself. flowers

Toadinthehole Tue 21-Jul-20 12:30:56

You won’t regret it, I’m sure. My mum did eventually stop sending me cards, but she may have died, I have no way of knowing. I am grateful she tried though, in the only way she knew. God bless, and I pray your daughter will come through. Take care?

Rhinestone Wed 22-Jul-20 12:42:15

Starblaze I apologize but I don’t remember your backstory. Was your mother verbally or physically abusive to you? If you had siblings how did she treat them?

Starblaze Wed 22-Jul-20 18:16:18

Mostly verbal Rhinestone, occasionally physical. Both covert.

You OK?

Starblaze Wed 22-Jul-20 18:20:41

Overall I have changed my stance slightly on this one after considering everyone else's comments.

Now I think:

If you have just had a child stop contact with nothing saying otherwise, send the card. Keep it simple.

If you have been told not to contact them, send nothing. Then if they come to you and say "you ignorded my birthday!" you can just say you respected them too much as an adult to go against their wishes.

Rhinestone Thu 23-Jul-20 10:57:21

Thank you for inquiring Starblaze
I am doing ok. I’m trying to u derstand both sides of this . I hope you won’t mind me asking if you ever tried to confront your mother about what she did? Does she have a mental illness perhaps?
Would she have gone to counseling with you?

Starblaze Thu 23-Jul-20 11:11:17

Rhinestone yes I did try to discuss it. I'd tried to discuss it as it was happening but she could deny saying something 5 minutes later or simply dismiss it no matter how much pain she caused me. I discussed in depth what the problems were and why not stopping them meant I would estrange and also sent a long contact with my reasons. I do think she has a mental illness but she is in control of who she targets with it and hides it from others. Yes I did offer to go to counselling, she laughed at me. I think it's probably fair to say I tried every approach possible to have a good relationship with her.

I don't want to give too much detail or depth incase she found me here. To be fair though I've heard the same story told back to me by many other estranged children.

Rhinestone Fri 24-Jul-20 10:46:13

Starblaze To me being dismissed or laughed at is horrible. I’m sorry she couldn’t be more open to communication and your feelings. I wish my son would tell me anything and I would go to counseling in a minutes notice.
It sounds like you tried and for that you have my admiration. Mental illnesses are tough because we try to be the rational one and they cannot be.

Starblaze Fri 24-Jul-20 11:55:49

Some people aren't good communicators Rhinestone I've always been very wordy and filled with the determination that I can make someone understand if I just put the right words together in the right order. So putting an end to contact was hard for me because I had to know that I had tried my best and didn't realise I was just repeating myself in different sentences.

It must be very painful for you to not have had that. Maybe it would have been painful if you did too as others have said. It's a tough one. Maybe one day he will be able to do so. We can't always fix things, especially mental health problems, no matter how much we want to. It has to come from them as adults in charge of themselves

Rhinestone Sat 25-Jul-20 10:40:31

Starblaze While it’s true that some are not good communicators, that shouldn’t stop them from wanting to repair a broken relationship. Showing that you would go to counseling or listening to what the other person has to say means you intend to make amends. I’m sorry that didn’t happen for you. And like you but in an opposite circumstance, I have tried everything to get my son to explain what happened. But, as he lives with my X and has not worked in two years, there is more to this story . He is using his silly fight with his sister as an excuse to not see me. He THINKS that I sided with his sister when my DH and I told him we didn’t . No abuse from us just a perceived notion that we took her side . How wasteful of both our lives to allow an estrangement for three years. Even my X has said it’s all so petty but that he clearly has some irrational mental issues. And being an adult who thinks he’s always correct , he’s not going to get help.

Smileless2012 Sat 25-Jul-20 11:30:15

It's such a waste isn't it Rhinestone, all that time that neither of you can ever get backsad.

Razzy Sat 25-Jul-20 11:52:50

Re OP I was talking with a friend about how we both have mothers on their own, and how selfish and demanding they have gotten as they got older. There have been times I’ve had to distance myself for my own mental health. I work 2 jobs, but shifts, have a young child, and not a huge amount of time. My mother will constantly guilt trip me, playing the “woe is me” card. She doesn't drive but can walk to local shops. She has plenty of money and could easily afford a taxi to the shopping centre. She wants me to go over all the time, get this, fix that, take me to the shopping centre. I do it all and it costs me a fortune, in fuel and getting stuff, she rarely even offers to pay for a coffee when I take her out. I get stressed out and lose a day out of my week. If she got even more needy I would probably have to distance myself more. I don’t have the capacity for it. So I think we must really bear in mind that if we expect children to stay in touch keep it light and fun, don’t moan, don’t expect your children to do everything for you, mental or physical. When my dad was alive there is no way on earth she would have expected him to give up a day each week to see her mum. She used to visit twice a year! But because I’m a woman she thinks I should just do it.
Send your daughter a card, brief message, nothing more, Xmas and Birthday. If she gets in touch ask about her, be positive, don’t complain. You might start to build bridges. Ask her what you can do for her.

Starblaze Sat 25-Jul-20 11:57:55

Rhinestone it must be awful for your children fall out. I don't know what I would do in that situation. It does worry me though as I no longer speak to my brother but we didn't fall out until after the estrangement and it was his choice.

What happened between them? If they were able to repair things would that make it better for you?

Rhinestone Sun 26-Jul-20 16:48:23

Starblaze I really think there are some mental issues with my son . My brother has them and my mother is bipolar. So it’s in the gene’s unfortunately and I thank my lucky stars everyday that I was spared. My DS wanted my daughter to apologize for hitting his hand away when it was in his face after HE started two ridiculous fights that day over global warming and her beliefs. When her daughter asked for some candy he screamed four letter words calling her a s.... mom and on and on. He put his finger in her face and she hit it away. He wanted her to apologize for that which she did in text to everyone. He called us the next day to talk about her. I explained that they were both wrong him for his starting of the fights and her for hitting his hand away. My husband told him that we had discussed her part in it with her. He didn’t believe us and thus the estrangement. But he kept upping what he wants. He won’t talk to us until she now apologizes in person. She all ready did In text but he is upping the anty so to speak. I’m embarrassed to even be writing this because of how stupid and childish it all is.

Madgran77 Sun 26-Jul-20 17:10:21

I’m embarrassed to even be writing this because of how stupid and childish it all is.

Dont be embarrassed Rhinestone , the "smallest" things are big if they matter to someone in these difficult situations flowers

Starblaze Sun 26-Jul-20 17:26:30

Rhinestone don't be embarrassed. I don't have much experience with Bipolar, just one friend who discribes her emotions and mental health as a roller-coaster and I'm happy to ride it with her. I don't understand it though or what it feels like. How can anyone, even the person suffering, when they have no other way of being to compare it with?

Like when I am depressed or anxious, I know I am. I have experience of not being those things to compare it to.

I think you just need to know and understand that you handled that situation as best you could and there is nothing you can do to make another adult understand their own minds when they have something like that to deal with. That's why we have professionals with years and years of training yet we can't force another adult to go to them either.

Be gentle with yourself

Rhinestone Tue 04-Aug-20 12:25:24

RazzyJust wondering if you have time to even see friends. You sound so busy.
Maybe you could help your mom find a handy man to help her so you wouldn’t be burdened of having to see her once a week.
Maybe you could be part of the solution by having a talk with her and explaining your problem. In all fairness she did spend tons of money raising you. Maybe there is a “ home” you could put her in where you have no responsibility.

HolyHannah Tue 04-Aug-20 14:38:45

Rhinestone -- People who have to deal with abusive parents or parents with unrealistic 'expectations' of their children get very tired as being seen as the "problem".

"Maybe you could be part of the solution by having a talk with her and explaining your problem." -- This 'solution' is a useless endeavor. As soon as you try to explain "your problem" it becomes more abuse. How dare you have 'problems' especially if you think they are the 'problem'?

"In all fairness she did spend tons of money raising you." -- So what. I was planned and 'wanted' by my 'mom'. I didn't ask to be born and didn't sign a contract saying because she 'raised' me I owe her. I don't owe my abuser anything. No one owes an abuser anything.

Rhinestone Wed 05-Aug-20 02:34:04

HolyHannah-No. No one owes an abuser anything but Razzy is still doing for her. There must be a reason there is not a complete break. And of course what is abuse is different to many people I guess. But if you continue to see the abuser than
complain about seeing them, it does seem counterintuitive to your mental health. If a parent put you down, called you names, bullied, neglected or physically abused you then you are correct, there wouldn’t be any need to see that person.
So it’s confusing to me why there is contact.
I didn’t see Razzy day there was abuse . I just saw her say it was inconveniencing her life and costing her money. Am I missing a pist?

Rhinestone Wed 05-Aug-20 02:34:23

Meant Post sorry.

Dibbydod Fri 07-Aug-20 08:58:19

I’d like to say thank you to everyone who replied, it’s helped me so very much . My daughters birthday was few days ago now , and after reading all your kind and helpful messages I decided I would send her a simple but nice birthday card ,and just signing it .... ‘ with love from Mum x ‘. ....,,Thought this the best way as then not being intrusive but just kindly thought from her Mum ....I just hope that this situation will eventually be resolved and we can be the happy family we once used to be .x

Chewbacca Fri 07-Aug-20 09:23:49

You've done as much as you can Dibby; I wish all goes well for you.