Gransnet forums

Estrangement

Grandparent rights

(88 Posts)
Dedee1220 Wed 06-Jan-21 18:39:08

Happy new year everyone
Can anyone tell us please ...Do we have the right to see our grandchildren, whether the parents want us too or not ?

Smileless2012 Mon 11-Jan-21 17:04:43

The advice to stop all contact with your mum was given with your well being in mind Armadillo. I'm glad that she's given up on trying to make you feel guilty and providing you have no further contact with her, she wont be able to do so again.

I think you've already blocked her from making contact through social media and if she writes to you, just throw the unopened letters in the bin where they belong.

Yogagirl Tue 12-Jan-21 08:22:50

Difference being Armadillo is that estranged GP didn't choose to never see their beloved AC&GC again, whereas estranging AC did, taking the C/GC whether they agreed or not. Most GC being too young to understand what was going on.

I will never forgot my precious GD calling out to me nanny, nanny trying to open the door to let me in, which normally she could do, but on the day of estrangement, was locked.

PECS Tue 12-Jan-21 10:23:17

No grandparents do not have a right to access to grandchildren.

Armadillo Tue 12-Jan-21 11:33:24

I only had the choice to keep letting my mum abuse me and upset my boys or not. My mum made the choice to ruin our relationship. That's not my choice and not what I wanted at all.

Summerlove Tue 12-Jan-21 14:09:06

Armadillo

I only had the choice to keep letting my mum abuse me and upset my boys or not. My mum made the choice to ruin our relationship. That's not my choice and not what I wanted at all.

Good for you on how far you have come.

You can’t own her feelings or actions.

I bet you feel much relief

Smileless2012 Tue 12-Jan-21 15:03:27

Onward and upward Armadillo.

Armadillo Tue 12-Jan-21 16:08:44

Thank you.

Aquamarine Sun 21-Feb-21 11:50:31

Still not seen my GD 's , nearly 2 years. I saw and indeed looked after my granddaughter weekly for 4 years. It's cruel and wicked that my AC has chosen this estrangement. I've not moved on , still stuck. Tears every day. He's my only child. All unnecessary. Just sad and stuck..

Smileless2012 Sun 21-Feb-21 12:45:47

Aquamarine I'm so very sorry that you are having to live with this, it is as you say "cruel and wicked", for you and your GD. Even more so having looked after your GD on a weekly basis for 4 years; she must miss you as much as you miss her.

There's a support thread on this estrangement forum where there are regular posts from other P's and GP's who will understand what you're going through.

We've been estranged for 8 years now and it took a long time before we no longer felt stuck but still feel sad from time to time.

Madgran77 Sun 21-Feb-21 13:14:50

Aquamarine I think you would find ttge Support for all living with estrangement thread helpful. flowers

nananet01 Sat 06-Mar-21 23:08:59

It's all very well saying get on with our lives when we relive the heartache and the heartbreak every birthday, every Christmas, every Easter. Ten years, involved in so much of their everyday little lives, so much Love, then just cut coldly dead.
Waking up to the reality of the heartache every morning. Dreaming at night of holding them, being with them, so real it is wretched waking to the truth.
No day is free of the grief. Covid has made our sad situation more 'normal when lots of GPs come on the tv saying how much they miss their GC and I think, yes, I have lived with this as a reality, for those GPs thankfully there will be a loving reunion and hopefully soon. I would never subject my GC to court proceedings I have seen firsthand the awful emotional damage caused as a result I love them too much to put them through that. In addition, forcing a situation can never be normal, natural and loving.

Scentia Sat 06-Mar-21 23:26:08

I broke contact with my parents 18 years ago, I always allowed my children to visit with their aunt until a time when they decided to stop themselves. I never put my problems with my parents onto my children but they both decided to stop seeing them anyway. My DS at age 12 and my DD just this last year age 25!