Gransnet forums

Estrangement

Son and DIL won't see me any more

(134 Posts)
Asdf Tue 06-Apr-21 12:12:07

I am new here, I'd appreciate some honesty but it may take a long post to explain.

My late dh was abused by his parents his father died and his mother was an awful trouble maker. He prioritised her over our family because he felt that his mother would leave him more of her estate than his sister. This was his life and he was at his mother's house at every opportunity me and our children came very far down his list of priorities.

His mother was so horrid I soon couldn't bring myself to visit her and our children very rarely visited her. I never spoke to her for over 30 years and when she died she left her estate 50/50 between my DH and his sister.

During the time bringing up our DC my parents died quite young within a few years of eachother. My brother was quite young at the time and it hit him bad. We got 50/50 of their estate and my young brother bought a house but also squandered quite a bit. He has mental health problems.

My DH over the years was very nasty about my brother and although it upset me I ignored it. When my brother visited with his wife my DH was brilliant with his children and lovely to his wife but rude and surly to my brother. He would do this if he went to my brother's house too. I ignored it nobody mentioned it, it was just accepted.

My husband was very close with my DD and he would often warn her about my brother as she was growing up telling her how he was interested in stealing our money and getting his hands on our house. He would tell her I couldn't be trusted not to give everything to my brother and eventually she knew more of our finances than I did. The two of them had secrets about our money and she grew very resentful of my brother. She also used to report anything she thought I'd done wrong to my husband and we would argue. She spent most of her teens and adulthood speaking very rudely to me. Again I just ignored it.

My DH had an idea that we would use the money from my parents estate to buy a house that my dd and ds could live in together. My dd was made aware of this and my ds wasn't.

When my ds was in his very early 20s he met his future wife. She was very nice and you could tell it was going to be a serious relationship. From the beginning my dd said things about this girl that I knew were not true, they were very nasty and unkind and I wasn't sure they were even true. My DH believed it all and was surly and rude to the girl when she came to visit. My DH and dd would say my ds had been disloyal and was choosing his new gf over his family. They would say my son's gf had it in for my dd and my dh became over concerned about what would happen to our house and money if we died and ds had a gf. They decided ds couldn't be trusted. I ignored everything, sometimes I'd stick up for my son and his gf because they really did nothing wrong but I'd be shouted down.

After about two years of this my dh and dd decided between them to give all of the money we kept from my parents estate to dd to buy a three bedroom house. She had just met a new man and they were planning to marry. He had a good job that paid well so it seemed like a good idea. My dh said we only had enough money to help one child and could make it up later. I agreed.

Shortly after my ds and his gf announced they were expecting a baby. When my gc was born my son and his gf came to live with us as they couldn't afford to rent privately any more. I got to spend so much precious time with the new baby and my son and his gf were no problem at all. My dh wasn't happy he said terrible things about my son's gf and made nasty comments about their parenting. My dh and dd raised concerns that my son and his gf would get their hands on the deeds to the house and that they would refuse to move out. I ignored this and because my ds and his gf never mentioned it, it wasn't an issue.

When they did move out after 11 weeks my DH cleared everything of my ds out if the house and made sure nothing of his remained. My dd's bedroom has looked the same since she was a teen and still does now.
My dd married then after a year split with her husband. He did very well and walked away with the house so we helped my dd into another house, this time a 2 bed.

When my son announced his wedding my dh said "Don't do it" instead of congratulations. He didn't say one word to the bride and groom the whole day and my dd disappeared somewhere for hours leaving us worried about her. I didn't feel comfortable to display photographs of the wedding because I knew my DH wouldn't like it. Dh also was devastated when they announced the pregnancy of the second child shortly after the wedding. DH always complained about Dil and how she parented GC. I had no problem with it they are very well behaved children and a pleasure to have around.

Dd went on to have a child with a new partner but the relationship failed and I took on full time care if the child while dd was at work. This left me with far less time to see ds and his family. He and dd had not spoken properly since we helped dd into her first house. I think he was slightly jealous because he had lots of housing issues. When DH went to hospital and knew he would die, he worried dd ex would get her house so he gave her money to help buy another house and also he worried about ds and Dil as he thought they would try to take my house and money so he asked dd to move in with me.

When DH passed away me and dd became very close we live between both of our houses. DH will named me and our two DC as executors and me as sole beneficiary. Dd sorted everything she was very good she also took charge of my house and finances throwing things out and making decisions. She didn't want to involve ds due to concerns she and my DH had over their potential behaviour where our house and money was concerned. I went along with it.
I saw my ds once a week for a couple of hours but I was exhausted

One day my ds and Dil sat me down and told me what I already knew had gone on through out the years. I didn't know what to say so I denied it. My Dil said some not very nice things about my ds and my dh and my son mentioned issues around the house and money it made me think DH and dd had been right all along. I defended my DD and I made excuses because I wanted to keep the peace.

I haven't seen them since and I miss them terribly. My DD says she is sad because she had a brother and doesn't anymore although she believes this was Dil plan all along. I agree to her face but I'm not sure I'm confused, hurt and I just don't know what to do. I haven't told any of my friends or my brother that this has gone on over the years I pretend it's all ok.
Sorry for long post

Dinahmo Tue 06-Apr-21 18:37:05

Your DD has been to uni and got a doctorate! Yet she cries when you tried to talk to her. What nonsense on her part. She's a grown woman.

How did you know that your son and his family didn't want you hanging around? They might have wanted some help.

Filling in forms is not difficult - how many do you have to complete? Perhaps a tax return . Most of us go through life not having to fill in forms all the time.

I think you should see a therapist before you try to resolve things with your DS because you might just say/think the wrong things.

Madgran77 Tue 06-Apr-21 18:47:32

Bibbity I am not saying her actions are "innocent".

I am saying the actions and her thinking now are the result of coercive control. Do you know the level of impact that coercive control can have on someone? They really really can't see that they are not thinking for themselves. The coercive controller being present or not makes no difference to their thinking and what they might say ...they are driven to follow through with the thinking imposed on them by the coercive controller.

Their behaviour may well be "enabling" but that is the coercive controller driving that!

I DO agree that the son and DIL appear to have behaved with some integrity. I am not surprised that they do not want to maintain contact in these circumstances but just telling the OP it is "her fault", "she is an abuser", and "enabler", "went along with it for an easy life" without acknowledging the level of what has clearly happened to her is not helpful to her or anyone else.

Asdf PLEASE please consider the coercive control aspect of this and please get some independent financial advice

Bibbity Tue 06-Apr-21 18:54:41

I agree her daughter and husband are controlling and abusive. But the OP is abusive as well. The actions of others do not make her innocent. And the fact she is failing to see through the actual issues show that right now her son should not be subjected to more abuse.

AmberSpyglass Tue 06-Apr-21 18:57:53

She’s explained the situation very clearly so she has enough insight for that - at some point she’s accepted the situation because she thinks it works for her. It feels deliberately naive and yes, I struggle to find sympathy.

Grannyben Tue 06-Apr-21 18:58:46

I noticed that, in your second post, you wrote that your husband and daughter gave your son some money, after your daughter had received yet more money to purchase her second home.

Was it really theirs to give? You told us that you were left that money by your late parents and, yet, you do not seem to have been involved in how it was spent.

Madgran77 Tue 06-Apr-21 19:03:47

I think that if one understood the level of what coercive control does to someone it would be more possible to find sympathy at the mess she finds herself in. It is not about "innocence"!

I am conscious that this discussion about the OPs life and situation is not helpful to her and is becoming too potentially personal to her, so will stop commenting now.

But I do suggest that looking at the potential IMPACT of coercive control on people's behaviours might be informative.

rafichagran Tue 06-Apr-21 19:04:18

I agree with posters who say OP should leave her son alone. I am not buying into all she was coerced, poster stated her in laws were trouble makers and she did not see them so she is capable of making her own decisions.
She stood back and did nothing when the husband and daughter were bad mouthing the son and dil.
Your posts are about you and how you feel, and your defence of your spiteful manipulative daughter are sickening.
Let your son be, you have probably done considerable damage to him by now. I know I felt badly and still do about my parents and sister.
It's not about you now and how you feel, it is what is best for your son.

Loislovesstewie Tue 06-Apr-21 19:04:57

I see one child, the daughter, being the 'golden child' and your son being the scapegoat. Sorry but that is really not acceptable. You have gone along with it for a quiet life, the fact that your daughter is academically gifted should not give her the right to run your life;again it's the path of the least resistance for you. BTW I understand about coercive control, but you have come here for advice and have insight for that. why no insight into the poor treatment of your son?

Asdf Tue 06-Apr-21 19:11:00

@Grannyben it was some money DH got from the sale of his late mother's house so not my decision what he does with it.

I miss my DS if he doesn't want to talk to me right now I should just leave it. He knows he can come back any time because I haven't told him to go. I just find it hard I shouldn't have to choose sides.

If he phones me or knocks on the door I'd talk to him like there had been no estrangement and carry on like normal.

BlueBelle Tue 06-Apr-21 19:16:36

I don’t think the author will stand back and look at her daughters behaviour as she is far too enmeshed and unable to see anything but wonder, for this abusive child and user, born of an abusive husband
The amount of money being thrown around sounds massive 80 grand here and there houses left right and centre certainly not brought any happiness to anyone has it?

Your son and daughter in law sound sensible and have removed themselves from it all and I hope they have a very happy life without you in it You’ve pinned your flag to the flag post of your choice I feel for you, when you can’t be helpful to your abusive daughter you ll be dropped like a hot cake

A counsellor should NEVER be your friend ...outrageous

Peasblossom Tue 06-Apr-21 19:20:10

Don’t you feel any kind of remorse or regret for the way you have treated your son?

Poor little boy. Poor lad. Poor man.

I’m glad he has made a family of his own to love him as he deserves.

Bibbity Tue 06-Apr-21 19:21:11

You have already chosen a side.

rafichagran Tue 06-Apr-21 19:22:40

FFS You do not get it do you? Your son has been treated disgracefully by the three of you, you cannot carry on as normal, too much damage has been done.
This has to be my last post as it is making me angry and anxious at the memories it is bringing back for me.
You say you should not have to choose sides, you already have by keeping quiet because it

suited you and defending that manipulative daughter of yours.

Eloethan Tue 06-Apr-21 19:39:51

You have acknowledged that your husband and daughter have consistently been unpleasant to your son and his partner and have said horrible things about them.

I should think the last straw was when your son explained how he and his partner felt about their treatment and you denied it. Furthermore, your husband and daughter seemed to be overly concerned about property and money in what I consider to be a very unhealthy way.

I really don't know where you go from here as I can understand how hurt your son is and why he has cut off contact. In my view, you should have acknowledged past hurts and expressed regret for allowing your husband and daughter to behave in such an unfair and unkind way without challenging them.

I wouldn't be too convinced about your daughter crying, saying she no longer has a brother. If she were that bothered, she wouldn't have ganged up against him with your husband.

silverlining48 Tue 06-Apr-21 19:41:15

Asdf. You asked for advice and you have had many responses. It’s up to you now, you can break this cycle and make a better relationship with your son and family,if they are agreeable, or else carry on as before. It’s all in your hands. I wish you well.

M0nica Tue 06-Apr-21 20:19:53

I find the behaviour of this OP defies belief. I really believe that when she started this thread she thought we would sympathise with her and agree how badly her DS and DiL were behaving towards her.

Her capacity for kidding herself that she is the poor maligned one and then saying the most outrageous things about her son and wife astonishes me.

At one point she says I don't think Dil is evil she's a good little mum and she's always looked after my son who has a medical condition. They have been together for many years and she is a very strong woman.

In other words your DiL is not prepared to collude with the OP and knuckle down under the DD's rule, who I would suggest is also 'a very strong woman'.

Your DS has acted with a wisdom that is amazing considering the home he grew up in. He has met and married a woman, who despite her own dysfunctional bckground could also rise above it and recognised your DS's stirling qualities and together they have stayed the course, weathered the storms that face two people with their background. They are happy together and they are bringing up their children together.

It is a sign of their maturity that they have decided to turn their back on you and your dominating bully of a daughter. Your daughter has it in for them because she is jealous of them, that your DS instead of playing the part of under dog to your daughter's top dog, has made his own life on his own terms and is part of a long-lasting and happy marriage, something she has singularily failed to achieve.

Later on you say If he phones me or knocks on the door I'd talk to him like there had been no estrangement and carry on like normal. You have got this entiely the wrong way. When you have gained independence from your daughter, put your financial affairs in the hands of an advisor independent of your daughter and sought councilling from a councillor you have found independently or through your GP, you can then contact your son, apologise for the lifetime of abuse he has received from you, as much as his father and sister, and apologise to him and ask him to forgive you and resume contact.

Chewbacca Tue 06-Apr-21 20:21:27

AmberSpyglass

Your husband and daughter were/are hideous and you went along for an easy life, which makes you just as bad. Your DS is, frankly, better off without you.

You know your DD won’t be there to care for you in your old age, don’t you? None of that money is being ringfenced for your care. I hope you don’t expect your DS to step up.

AmberSpyglass I've read every post on this thread and so many have been objective, helpful and written with care and consideration for OP and her son. But your post was so cruel, mean and spiteful and was written with the sole intention to wound. Shame on you.

Bibbity Tue 06-Apr-21 20:33:54

It’s not cruel. The OP, has her whole life, buried her head in the sand.
Her own son wasn’t enough for her to take a stand. But above all the most important thing has been her comfort.

And she’s plodding along thinking it will always be rosy. Because she ain’t looking at the whole picture. The odds are her daughter will chose the money over her.

M0nica Tue 06-Apr-21 21:27:24

Chewbacca You are ignoring the fact that despite all theposts that have been objective, helpful and written with care and consideration for OP and her son This lady still persists in seeing her son as the problem, and continues to be wax in the hand of her DD.

Throughout her life she has been happy to throw her son to the lions, whenever her husband or daughter demanded it, she has never protected him or defended him and now he has decided enough is enough, she blames his wife!!

Chewbacca Tue 06-Apr-21 21:35:25

I'm ignoring nothing M0nica. I'm in complete and total agreement with the majority of replies on here, including your own post that the OP has been blind to the injustices she's meted out to her son and, as a result, has been largely responsible for the position she finds herself in now. What I take issue with is for one poster to refer to the OPs husband and daughter as hideous and that the OP was as bad. That's not a constructive comment, it offers no insight or advice; it's just a knee jerk insult.

Lolo81 Tue 06-Apr-21 21:46:25

Asdf

@Grannyben it was some money DH got from the sale of his late mother's house so not my decision what he does with it.

I miss my DS if he doesn't want to talk to me right now I should just leave it. He knows he can come back any time because I haven't told him to go. I just find it hard I shouldn't have to choose sides.

If he phones me or knocks on the door I'd talk to him like there had been no estrangement and carry on like normal.

Oh, OP - please reread that last sentence. Practically all of the advice you’ve had on this thread has pointed out to you that your “normal” has been hurtful at best, and many would class abusive towards him. I very much doubt that without a change in behaviour and an acknowledgement of how badly he has been treated that there is a possibility of reconciliation.

Please don’t think I’m trying to be hurtful, as I said earlier in this thread you have been financially coerced. But if you genuinely want a relationship with your son and his family I very much doubt you’ll ever be able to go “back to normal”, what was normal in your family wasn’t healthy or acceptable behaviour.

Doodledog Tue 06-Apr-21 22:29:36

Asdf, what do you think is the problem here?

DiscoDancer1975 Wed 07-Apr-21 10:12:29

OP, I do think you have been manipulated and treated with absolute contempt to the point that you can no longer separate reality from fantasy, and you need outside independent help for this. A complete stranger who no one in your family knows, and you should see that ‘ help’ alone.
There is bad spirit moving through your family. Probably from way back, but we know your husband was abused. He went on to cut your brother out, and together with your daughter, turn against your son and DIL, who it seems have done nothing wrong. Your daughter is now the manipulator, and will most likely transfer it to her child/children.
It’s all about money, and your daughter is just biding her time I’m afraid. Your husband was a good ‘ teacher’ by the sounds of it.
Please get neutral help with this before you lose everything. It sounds like your son is happy and settled with a lovely wife and family. Why on earth would he risk all that to see people who, in his eyes, have spent so much time and energy stopping him getting things.?
I also don’t understand how he is in this position, if he was an executor of his dad’s Will. There are legal obligations here, so he should have been involved.
It almost sounds like you’ve been spectating all these years. Now it’s time for you to take part, to ensure this doesn’t carry on after you’ve died.
Put it right with your son now.

Madgran77 Wed 07-Apr-21 10:15:37

Wise advice Disco

Greta8 Wed 07-Apr-21 10:34:14

What a very sad story. You have been manipulated all your married life by your late husband and daughter. I have some sympathy with you inasmuch that your confidence and self esteem have obviously been eroded over the years.

But you are now free of your husband, albeit not your daughter. Now is the time for you to set your own agenda and take back control. Also how fortunate that your dear, abused son has met and married a strong, lovely woman and has his own family.

It is perfectly understandable why he has decided to step away from his birth family. You need to reflect on all this, completely independently from your controlling daughter. And get help from an independent counsellor, not someone who is friendly with your daughter.

When you've worked through where you've gone wrong, then that is the time to get in touch with your dear son. He may be generous to reinstate contact with you. I believe however the relationship with his sister is beyond repair, for obvious reasons.