Gransnet forums

Estrangement

Letter to my Estranged Child

(212 Posts)
OnwardandUpward Fri 03-Dec-21 12:10:24

Dear Child,

I hope you're happy with your choice to manipulate, coerce and then estrange when you failed to get your own way. If not, what did you expect to happen?

Remember, all choices have consequences. Relationships are reciprocal (*you put nothing in, you get nothing back*)

As a child you may remember our motto was to celebrate the good in you, to "punish the child, not the behaviour". But you are an adult now, who is unable to see anything positive in me or US.

In time perhaps you will too be able to celebrate the good and realise that no one is perfect. After all, you will have plenty of time to reflect this Christmas after estranging your entire family.

How do you suppose you are going to explain this to your own kids one day, why they had no family to love them and celebrate Christmas with them?

You are not the "reason for the season". So we will celebrate Christmas without you, with those who choose us. I wish you joy, I wish you peace, I wish you love. The one thing I will not do is reward your atrocious behaviour by chasing you down or actually trying to contact you.

May the New Year bring you insight and peace, love and harmony.

Your ever loving Mother.

Grannysmith Fri 03-Dec-21 15:58:11

Hello all.
I have written that letter so many time but never posted it.
I have been estranged from my daughter for over 6 years now. The pain never leaves me, as you say, it is like a knife twisting my heart especially at this time of year when everyone seems to be buying presents for their families. She has 3 children, one of whom I have never seen. I do send cards & live in hope but deep inside I know that she will never reconcile with me.

OnwardandUpward Fri 03-Dec-21 16:08:18

Hi Grannysmith I'm so sorry for you too. That's so sad. It's nice of you to send cards and it's good to have hope. I'd never say never, but at the same time I'm not sure (for me) that sending a card is a good idea because he would be bound to read something into it. I think we just have to bide our time and hope he comes out the other side of the false things he has been fed.

It's sad that the Estranged kids are struggling this time of year too.

VioletSky Fri 03-Dec-21 16:22:11

I know you are hurting but as an EC this letter would not inspire me to reach out or self reflect.

OnwardandUpward where is your self reflection in this letter? That may get you a much better response/result.

I do self reflect and deeply, I have pulled myself to pieces and put myself back together again trying to understand why I couldn't have the relationship I wanted/needed with my mother.

I have had many letters like this from my mother, I view them as designed to push me further away because they could not possibly be designed to bridge the gap between us.

OnwardandUpward Fri 03-Dec-21 16:51:31

Violetsky My self reflection isnt there because I cannot think of a way I could have made him happier, other than give him all my money and let him continue to live off me!

If he would have spoken about things he felt were a problem (other than politics and covid beliefs that he felt strongly about) then perhaps I could have self reflected on those, but as it is all I have to go on is a hallucinogenic trip he went on , guided by a Shaman where apparently he "saw" me doing something awful! shock

He also feels that I am not human because I had the covid jab!! I would be interested on how you feel I could self reflect on that?!

Allsorts Fri 03-Dec-21 16:58:02

At least you can see a reason for your sons behaviour Onward, he is using drugs and believes in what he rants, also under the influence of that person, you can’t argue with that as it’s so stupid, you are better out if it as only he can change, no one changes an addict but themselves.

OnwardandUpward Fri 03-Dec-21 17:00:34

Thanks Allsorts It's not a good reason though. Not that any reason is a "good reason". You're right, I have done much soul searching and been told time and time again, he will change when he wants to change.

Violetsky I'm sorry you have had these type of letters from your Mother. What it does show is that my feelings were quite common as a mother seeing as your Mother sent this and others have identified. Im not saying it's right, just that feelings are there and I was being honest about them. The difference is that I did say I would not be having contact with him, so the letter will not be sent.

I cannot change his political views, his conspiracy theory views, his feeling that I have let him down by becoming vaccinated. I cannot change the damage that has been done by him taking hallicinogenic drugs or believing things that the shaman has told him that are probably not even true. I cannot change him in any way and I don't want to because he is an adult.

Self reflection: I know I have done my best, which is all anyone can do. I also know I am not perfect, as he is not either. How can anyone do better than their best? Short of me popping him back in my tummy and bringing him up all over again, the only way is for him to talk or us get therapy together.

VioletSky Fri 03-Dec-21 17:01:18

I don't mean to sound harsh Onward because I do think your son clearly has issues.. But we do raise our children.

I don't see how this openletter would make EC self reflect or have any positive impact... As I already said. Your hurt comes accross as anger

VioletSky Fri 03-Dec-21 17:04:07

We have cross posted

I still think you should reflect on the fact this is a shared forum, and I can only tell you how a letter like that makes this EC feel

rafichagran Fri 03-Dec-21 17:14:10

If you want any chance of reconciliation do not send that letter.
I understand how you feel, but I promise the content will only make things worse.

OnwardandUpward Fri 03-Dec-21 17:15:06

Yes we do raise our children Violetsky , but we are not responsible for their adult choices and the consequences which follow those.

I appreciate the feedback and I know you must be right in seeing it come across as anger as other people also said the same, even though I did not feel angry in writing. That only serves to illustrate my point, that anything I say could be misconstrued.

I am open to consider how EC feel and genuinely sorry for anyone on both sides of the coin. It's shocked me that it was read as something I hadn't intended and maybe your Mother also had very different intentions Violetesky? Though only she knows what they were.

VioletSky Fri 03-Dec-21 17:29:33

OnwardandUpward

As I wrote, I won't be contacting them. Relationships are reciprocal so I will match their energy by doing...nothing! Just wanted to explain that to any lurkers who may be EC to make them have a think and a look at themselves. I don't feel angry, but it's interesting that it read that way. It's probably best to say nothing at all as words can be misconstrued.

It was cathartic to write here, though.

Thanks for all the good wishes flowers

Just imagine if I wrote an open letter to my mum and then said this about EPs?

I might do the former but not the latter.

I did say hurt that came across as anger

Smileless2012 Fri 03-Dec-21 17:49:33

Hurt often does come across as anger doesn't it. Our ES is supposedly hurt although we don't know why and we've had nothing, apart from 2 emails in the last year when our mothers died, but his anger and cruel words.

I'm hurt and angry because of what he has done to me, his father and both GM's. I can't think of any EP who wouldn't feel both TBH to have been treated the way we have, and to have seen the hurt inflicted on their elderly mothers.

In cases like ours, yours Onward and those whose situations are similar, it would IMO be extremely naive for our EAC not to expect there to be anger as well as pain.

As you say, we raise our children but we are not responsible for the choices they make and decisions they take. We would not take the credit for example if they made a brilliant career choice, so why should we be expected to be held responsible for the bad choices and decisions they make?

You've written this letter, which you will not be sending to your ES. It's about how you feel and how he's made you feel and there are many EP's, myself included, who have and continue to feel as you doflowers x

OnwardandUpward Fri 03-Dec-21 18:12:45

Yes VioletSky I see your point. I appreciate the feedback even though I wasn't going to send it.

Yes Smileless it does compound mine and Mr O's feeling that the best thing to do was....*nothing*!

Feelings are feelings and we all have them. I know you are very hurt, Smileless as I'm sorry to hear your ES is too. Yes, my ES has also estranged the whole family, not just me, which has been hurtful to them as well. They are not perfect, as I am not perfect- but I don't really believe that estrangement has helped anything when I read the effects on EC and that they are advised by StandAlone to get weekly counselling.

That is true, Smileless I would not take credit for a glittering career move and more than I would a drug addled rant.

VioletSky I am imagining you writing your letter. Maybe you should. You're hurting and we aren't your Mother, so maybe it would help.

OnwardandUpward Fri 03-Dec-21 18:13:48

Ooops typo ! I meant to say

"That is true, Smileless I would not take credit for a glittering career move any more than I would a drug addled rant."

VioletSky Fri 03-Dec-21 18:20:38

OnwardandUpward I am very past writing letters and have already done so and offered joint counselling or other ways forward.

I am very aware that none of you are mother and this does not influence the way I communicate here which is why I pointed out that you were actually doing that with your comment to lurking EC... who aren't your child.

Smileless2012 Fri 03-Dec-21 18:27:30

Those typo's are so annoying aren't they Onwardgrin.

freedomfromthepast Fri 03-Dec-21 18:52:28

I too used to write, in my head, letters to my mother. It can be very cathartic to do. Sending them wouldn't have made a lick of difference.

And I did try counseling with my mother when I was a teen. It didn't go well then and it wouldn't go well now. She is incapable of self reflection. Even then, she blamed me for all of the world's woes and refused to see her part in the problems in our relationship. One can not move forward with someone who can not self-reflect.

Onward, you are in such a tough position with your son. I hope that your son is able to find his way back to his family soon.

Smileless2012 Fri 03-Dec-21 19:31:05

I agree that you can't move forward with someone who can't/wont self reflect, which is why you must move forward without them. Not easy, but the only way.

OnwardandUpward Fri 03-Dec-21 21:01:47

VioletSky I'm sorry if I offended you with that comment. I honestly did not mean you, but meant other EAC who are not on the site but might just read. If you did want to write, or felt it would be useful I'm sure we would be able to "listen". It's great that you offered joint counselling. Did your Mother turn it down? If she did, that's a terrible shame.

I would welcome joint counselling if my EAC suggested it. I have had a lot of counselling over the years to do with my own parents and would be open to more counselling.

I'm so sorry your Mother wasn't able to self reflect Freedomfromthepast Mine isn't either, so I had counselling myself. My Mum also blames me for everything, including many things that are not and never could be my fault. I would never want to be like that. I reached a point now where I am able to admit if something is my fault, but if it's not I won't take the blame. There is a difference between someone trying to blame you and frame you for something you haven't done - and for something you actually have done. I'm at that point, but it's quite new.

You're right, Smileless moving on seems to be the only way - but today has give me a shock reading that EC are suffering. I suppose I imagined them going "haha" and imagining us suffering in glee, until I read the article I mentioned earlier. I now realise they are in pain and their lives are forever marred by our absence.- or perhaps the absence of who they wanted or needed us to be.

I think most parents do their best, but there are always exceptions.

Yes Smileless grin Annoying typos! Sometimes say something completely different!

VioletSky Fri 03-Dec-21 22:13:07

Thank you for your apology.

I hope you realise that many estrangements by EC are justified.

Yes she did, she laughed in my face. I don't think I've ever come accross another person in my life who actually made that expression real... She got right in my face and laughed in it.

She will never admit to any wrongdoing. Not a single thing. She won't admit to the scars I have from being a young child either. She hated me. Without me she thinks my dad would not have left her, the man she is still obsessed with even now despite being apparently happily married to someone else for 35 years or so. I became her physical punchbag and later her emotional one when she was no longer in a position to hide physical abuse.

I was to blame for every thing she could not have because she said my father paid no maintenance. I was severely neglected for the same reason, no new clothes, no underwear, I was to ask my dad if I needed sanitary things for my period because she didn't get money for me. I used tissue and was bullied severely for not having a bra.

He did pay maintenance, I used to hand it to her and she spent it on herself, hid bags of clothes in her wardrobe from my stepdad while lying to him about the money. She had a spending problem and like her abuse of me has always hidden that fact, even from herself.

I'm not sure she even knows or understands she is abusive as she has justified it in her mind that I deserve it. For being born, in its simplest terms.

It's a special kind of mental illness when abusing your own child is necessary for you to hide the dark side of your personality to others. When taking your unhappiness out on them allows you to face the world with a smile and be wonderful to everyone around you but your own child. All the while lying to anyone who will listen about how evil and nasty your own child is so that no one will ever believe them.

Those mothers exist and as much as some do not want to hear that, it's just the way things are for many EC.

I am careful not to make generalisations because it would be ridiculous to think that abusive people are confined to parents and grandparents when those same people were/are someone's adult children.

Something that doesn't always get considered here.

Smileless2012 Fri 03-Dec-21 23:13:18

Of course there's a difference between someone accusing you of things you haven't done and calling you out for things you have done Onward.

It doesn't surprise me that some EAC suffer as a result of estranging their parents, and often their entire family. They know the truth, even if they're unable to admit it, so they'll know if their behaviour is totally unjustified, and if the 'reasons' they give have no basis in reality.

They must miss the love and support they once had.

Of course we know that there are abusive parents, how could we not with the horrific case of little Arthur in the news. AC estranging abusive parents is something we can all understand, but AC estranging the parents that love and cared for them is beyond our comprehension, even when we're experiencing it ourselves.

OnwardandUpward Fri 03-Dec-21 23:23:31

Your description of your childhood made me very sad for you, VioletSky I can definitely see you have suffered and your Mother was a weak person to treat her child like that. To have to go without basic underwear and sanitary protection is completely unacceptable. To laugh in your face- I can't even find the words. I would be floored if that happened to me.

To separate someone from other people because they have been told that person is bad is Relational Aggression and can be used to try and isolate people.

If it's any comfort at all, I've read that the scapegoat is the most healthy person in a toxic family. They are the most likely to escape and live a happy , successful life free of toxicity. It's not just kids who are scapegoated though. Adults can be scapegoated by other adults or by their EAC.

I know some mothers can be cruel. Mine triangulated between me and my kids, trying to turn the kids against me and ridiculing me to them. I wish I had the strength to walk away or at least keep my distance when I was young (pre therapy) but I was like a moth to a flame for many years, desperate for any hint of love. In the end, I have had so much therapy that I am secure in myself and no longer look to her for anything. I do talk to her. Despite it all I do love her and I also pity her infantile ways. I believe she is a narcissist and cannot change. She hates her own company while I enjoy mine. For a long time I had the saying "I'm in therapy because of all the people who refuse therapy"

Before I created this thread, I honestly thought that my EAC was somewhere gloating, but now I realise he probably isn't. No one could possibly want their child to suffer, if they have any compassion in their heart, even if their child "deserved" it. I would rather my EAC was happy even if it didn't include me. But I now suspect he is not sad

Abusers come in all shapes, sizes, ages and genders. We can never generalise anything. There are parents who estrange their cruel kids and kids who estrange their cruel parents. It would be good to see the forums feeling more open to discuss these things without people getting offended or feeling that it's a slur on them when it really isn't. An "us and them situation" sums up the whole of Estrangement and isn't helpful to anyone.

As a parent I am not threatened when an EAC says it's often the parents fault and at the same time I believe those who say the other way round. The last week has been very eye opening and I am grateful for that.

freedomfromthepast Fri 03-Dec-21 23:28:05

"I suppose I imagined them going "haha" and imagining us suffering in glee, until I read the article I mentioned earlier. I now realise they are in pain and their lives are forever marred by our absence.- or perhaps the absence of who they wanted or needed us to be."

I have never met someone who has estranged who sat back and said haha in glee of the pain and suffering they have caused. I am sure they are out there though.

Even when I knew that my only choice was to estrange my mother, while sitting with my child in a mental health crisis center, it was devastating to me. I needed therapy to be able to work through it. I did not want to estrange. But even though I estranged her, SHE made the choice of her behavior which is what caused me to estrange. I would have been happy putting my childhood in the past and allowing her a relationship with my children.

One of the things I have realized since joining GN is that we, estranged P/GP and estranged AC, actually want the same thing and have more in common than we think.

For the most part, of course there always cases where this is not true, but for the most part those of us here want nothing more than to have a big loving happy family. We all have been hurt tremendously by family members who have required us to do things we never thought we would have to do: move on and live a different life than we had envisioned.

It helps no one when we label and stereotype.

I also want to thank you for posting this thread. I always welcome respectful discussions of differences and fully believe that is the way forward for us (people as a whole). And chance we have to stop an us vs them viewpoint no matter the topic, the better. I hope that posts such as these lead to understanding and enlightenment, both for posters and lurkers.

OnwardandUpward Fri 03-Dec-21 23:35:18

I know and I meant no offence when I said that Freedomfromthepast It's just really helped me to see what is probably a more accurate picture. All the time I thought he was probably gleeful about witholding my GC and hurting me to make a point and I must have been wrong.

Yes I think we do want the same thing and it's revelatory to me to discuss from this angle. Thank you so much for saying that. With Christmas looming I think we all need as much love and kindness as possible. I am new to all this, my son only estranged me this summer and he has never said he doesn't want contact. He is just silent.

OnwardandUpward Fri 03-Dec-21 23:38:50

Yes Smileless you would think they would miss the love and support they once had. Perhaps they do but they feel awkward and don't know how to bridge the gap, or perhaps other things outweigh that need?

My son is still loved, from a distance.