Gransnet forums

Estrangement

Sign for grandchildren

(485 Posts)
Minty Sat 18-Dec-21 17:25:19

There is a new petition that has been launched today which you might like to support.
chng.it/PhGdn2Swry

Smileless2012 Sat 18-Dec-21 18:27:18

Thank you Minty, I've signedsmile.

AmberSpyglass Sat 18-Dec-21 18:28:28

Nope. It’s up to the parents. A change in ruling would be ripe for abuse.

notgran Sat 18-Dec-21 18:31:45

Can anyone give me an example where these on-line Petitions have ever changed anything?

Smileless2012 Sat 18-Dec-21 18:32:20

A change in the ruling may help future children being abused by their parent(s) where their GP's concerns are ignored and the GP's are powerless to intervene AmberSpyglass.

Smileless2012 Sat 18-Dec-21 18:33:22

Well I can't notgran but it's always worth trying; you never know.

VioletSky Sat 18-Dec-21 20:17:09

I can't sign this sorry.

Children are not going to be the ones asking to go to court.

Children aren't going to be financing the process.

Children aren't going to get to decide the impact it has both mentally and financially on their parents and how that then directly impacts them.

This is just backdoor grandparents rights.

MissAdventure Sat 18-Dec-21 20:28:37

Signed.

Elizabeth27 Sat 18-Dec-21 20:30:45

I do not feel I can sign this as children should not have to choose between their parents and grandparents.

If a court decided that grandparents had access how would that impact the children when they are at home where they spend most of their time.

Granniesunite Sat 18-Dec-21 20:34:49

Signed..

Smileless2012 Sat 18-Dec-21 20:39:27

I agree that children shouldn't have to choose between their parents and GP's Elizabeth, seeing their GP's isn't making a choice, and children would only think it is, if they're made to feel that way.

VioletSky Sat 18-Dec-21 20:40:52

I also don't like the link to recent tragedies being made. Those children were seeing grandparents. Giving grandparents access usually granted to a parent will not give them any more authority with police or social services and it certainly won't stop abuse if the parents are abusive, in some cases it would worsen it.

The flip side is also giving abusive grandparents access which will take a huge toll on both the children and parents.

Things should be left as they are, grandparents asking leave to go to court and being asked to prove their bond to the child.

Any child welfare concerns should be reported immediately to police or social services, access won't change that.

Smileless2012 Sat 18-Dec-21 20:42:47

This petition is for the rights of GC to see their GP's and has nothing to do with GP's rights.

VioletSky Sat 18-Dec-21 20:50:17

This is not a petition started by grandchildren or signed by grandchildren for grandchildren.

Granniesunite Sat 18-Dec-21 20:50:32

Abusive grandparents would soon be found out surely a good thing in my option. As would abusive parents or parents that are fuelled by vengeance.

Smileless2012 Sat 18-Dec-21 20:51:05

Well as far as we know in this country, abusive GP's aren't an issue but abusive parents and their partners are.

MissAdventure Sat 18-Dec-21 20:52:10

Read the first comment on the petition.
It states that an 83 year old woman has been stopped from seeing her grandchildren, who have written to her asking why.....

Smileless2012 Sat 18-Dec-21 20:54:39

That doesn't alter the fact that is a petition for the right of GC to see their GP's VS. An amendment is being called for to the Children Act, and the Children Act is about children, not their parents or GP's.

Smileless2012 Sat 18-Dec-21 20:55:21

Yes, it's very sad MissA for the GM and her GC.

MissAdventure Sat 18-Dec-21 20:58:54

Access does change that, though, violetsky.
Keeping grandparents away stops them from seeing signs of abuse, obviously.
Anything which protects the vulnerable is a good move, in that respect.

trisher Sat 18-Dec-21 21:05:39

I can't sign it. I can't see how putting a child in a difficult position where they have meetings with someone they know their parents actively dislike would help any child. I think being denied access to your grandchildren must be heartbreaking, but if parents have reached that decision it should stand for the child. If the adults can't communicate and negogiate a solution brnging a child into the equation isn't going to solve anything

VioletSky Sat 18-Dec-21 21:10:26

My grandfather and grandfather were both complicit in sexual abuse.

Abusers span generations. They don't exist in specific age groups.

Although, parenting is far more gentle in general now.

Peasblossom Sat 18-Dec-21 21:11:08

Smileless2012

Well as far as we know in this country, abusive GP's aren't an issue but abusive parents and their partners are.

I’m not sure about that Smileless. After all if oar3ntsxare concerned that their children will be abused or even made unhappy by their grandparents, then they will just keep them away.

So potential abuse by grandparents is stopped before it becomes an issue.

If it went through….
Children would need to have the right to say no and have that heeded. A show of reluctance would have to be enough.

Personally I think the parents should have the right to accompany their child on visits to the grandparents. Sending your children off to be with someone who you didn’t trust would be a had thing to do.
Frankly, my Parents in law had no idea of how to keep young children safe.

Peasblossom Sat 18-Dec-21 21:11:55

I typed parents, honestly. Why it turned into gibberish I don’t know.

VioletSky Sat 18-Dec-21 21:12:45

And grandmother that should say