Gransnet forums

Estrangement

I’m heartbroken - Any advice please.

(57 Posts)
Annealise Sat 14-Jan-23 00:42:53

I am really desperate for some advice please and could only think of here to post as I just don’t know what to do about my situation and am so distraught. I apologise for the length but needed to explain all the facts.

I am divorced and have one son. I am from a small family and they don’t live locally. My son unfortunately married a very self entitled career woman five years ago. They married in Hong Kong where they were living at the time and invited no one to their wedding, which devastated me. Her true colours didn’t come out until later in the marriage. Whenever I went to visit them in London the atmosphere was tense and I felt in the way and not welcome but ignored it. My son began to feel controlled and he wanted to leave but they sought professional counselling and I supported them throughout - always remaining neutral and giving them good advice, albeit knowing his wife was to blame. They came through it for the better and then my son wanted to better his career by doing a Masters Degree.

My son has never asked me for anything and has made his own way through life successfully. He did however ask me if I could help them out financially to pay towards some of his course fees, because they were struggling on one wage. I gave them my savings, despite not being in too good a financial situation myself. He now has a very good job but I felt robbed of another special occasion (other one was his wedding) in his life when they failed to get me a ticket in time for the Graduation day. They are both very busy people and I always felt they just squeeze me in around their plans, changing the goalposts to suit them etc...

We haven’t spent Christmas together for years due to them previously living abroad before their marriage, then Covid lock downs and last year they went away for Christmas. This year I was really looking forward to spending Christmas with my son and checked in advance if they were free. He told me ‘yes we’ll have a nice Christmas this year’. In mid November however, he told me they were now going abroad on Boxing Day morning to his wife’s friends wedding. They then bought a puppy and my daughter in law asked me to look after it for a week while they were going to away for a week. Previous to this, I had not heard from her since the Graduation day plans fell through for me, in July. I have a very stressy cat who has never met a dog , yet alone had one in the house. I was shocked at the lack of the consideration towards me of how they expected me to cope. Then a big bombshell dropped - she asked me what my Christmas plans were. She told me her young cousin from abroad would be staying with them and would be there Christmas Day.

I felt so upset and angry as I felt so let down and that they just take from me without giving all the time. She said I come down Christmas Eve but would have to sleep in the living room with her cousin ( they are in a one bedroom flat). I didn’t feel comfortable with this as I have never met her and have some health issues. Also who would look after my cat… She then offered me alternative suggestive like bringing her cousin to my house and then I could drive them all back to London Christmas night. A round trip of 200miles. I didn’t want to this either. For once in my life I put my foot down. I felt second best, as a mother, over the cousin and also felt used re being asked to look after their dog. Plus I knew from experience I would have to all the cooking/ washing up whilst they all do nothing if they came to mine. It would have been an exhausting day for me.

Needless to say it was an impossible situation for me re the dog. They then asked my ex husband go down to look after it. They never even got provisions in for him for the holiday period There were no Christmas cards or presents for either of us from them in the flat. I texted her 5 days before Christmas to ask if we were meeting up to exchange presents in London as I was a bit disappointed that I hadn’t hear from them in 6 weeks. Her response was , that they had stood on their heads to please me but I had refused any Christmas suggestions and to not turn things around. I asked when my money would be paid back that I had loaned them as I haven’t had any income for two months and am struggling to get by. It was meant to be paid back in December. She said that I was informed it would be the end of December - and there was no offer of anything at all to help me. They were going away on an expensive trip and are high earners!

I am afraid after five years of staying silent over everything, that I lost it and said that the selfish attitude is exasperating and to have a nice Christmas with her cousin. To cover myself with my son, I texted him( they are never available to take my calls) and told him I feel very hurt that he chose his wife’s cousin over his mother for Christmas Day. I took the opportunity to say that I find his wife’s high expectations of people too much to cope with and there is no consideration for me. He replied saying ‘ we found you very unreasonable regarding our alternative plans’ - and that was that. It’s now been two months since I spoke to them.

It’s a special Birthday for me in a couple of weeks and they never remember Mother’s Day or my Birthday due to their hectic lifestyle. I just feel so worthless, unwanted and sad.I had to lie to friends and say I spent Christmas with my son, to save embarrassment which is really upsetting too.. It’s just finally ‘the last straw’ really for me. My ex has advised me to start afresh when I eventually hear from them and not mention anything/ or how I have been feeling, because they won’t change.. I feel if I don’t address issues nothing will change and I will end up more resentful and end up cutting them both off. I know I would be used if they have children in the future.

Lizbethann55 Sat 14-Jan-23 21:46:49

It is too late to change what happened at Christmas. But with regards to your big birthday, maybe you could contact them and say you are organising a birthday lunch for family and friends and hope that they will be able to join you.
About the money, speak to your DS and suggest setting up a standing order of so much a month until the money is paid up.

NotSpaghetti Sat 14-Jan-23 22:37:07

Good idea Lizbeth.

I have to admit I wouldn't want to share a room with a stranger to be honest. I would have booked a hotel room nearby.
I think others have suggested that for next time. I would actually have probably booked a hotel room rather than stay in their sitting room.
We don't tend to stay with our children when we visit. It's nice for everyone to have a "breather". If they have loads of space as one daughter used to we would stay. It's very difficult in a smaller space - and in this case you knew they were packing for travelling as well as everything else.

I'm sorry you feel you missed out on a graduation ceremony ticket. I realise you saw that as important but frankly I think you have dodged a bullet there! grin They are unbelievably tedious.
flowers

As others have suggested, put this behind you, agree a repayment plan and see 2023 as a new start.
Good luck.

Hithere Sat 14-Jan-23 23:42:13

Incorrect : most people do not do Xmas cards

This Xmas, I have received texts, emails chats, calls and 0 cards, even from commercial establishments

Does your son send Xmas cards? Any card of any kind?

You are adding strings again - a favour does not mean something else has to be done in return- send a Xmas card, for example.

You are way overthinking this

Make a list
One column how you envision the relationship with your son and how often you would like to interact and how
Example: monthly dinners, weekly calls, Xmas together, etc

The second column - ask your son how he sees your relationship and how often to keep in touch

You both agree on how to move forward as terms are now clear for everybody

VioletSky Sun 15-Jan-23 11:20:12

My family doesn't do cards, a lot of people don't these days, people have these devices in their hands to instant message anyone so I don't think they feel the need for cards or letters and quite often even phonecards now.

My AC are very different, one doesn't reach out very often but always has a chat if I message first. The other messages me most days even still living at home.

I don't feel any less loved by either, they are just different people and one is very chatty and the other isn't.

Estrangement is an awful situation, please think about what will work for both of you and reach out to communicate your needs without blame

Rgallina Sun 15-Jan-23 14:13:27

I would have certainly said no to dog sitting. Young people can be thoughtless when they are starting out life. It’s okay to say no to loans. Yes, it’s obvious a loan is not a gift. But even banks have people who default on loans, so again never give what you cannot permanently afford to lose. It helps no one to ignore the fact that sometimes loans don’t get paid back. I would ask for the money and a set date for installation payments. But be clear that you will need your money back. I would make this a stand alone conversation and not link it with any other issue.

Your attitude toward your DIL will be your own misery. You seem to fault her for being who she is, career driven. This attitude of assigning negative connotations to career women is dying. Let it.

She isn’t lazy because she asked about a dishwasher. People prefer practicality. Why is your son also not lazy?

Christmas was unfortunate but you don’t actually know the true reason cousin stayed for Christmas and I doubt your DIL felt inclined to explain it to you. But they did offer alternatives. So you cannot be so inflexible going forward. And if you are, try not to take it to heart when things don’t go exactly as planned. You know this is simply life sometimes. Try to fill your life with expectations that do not include your son. It’s hard being an only child when the pressure of fulfilling your parents lives is only on you. Have empathy for that just as he needs to have empathy for you being alone.

JosieGc Mon 16-Jan-23 21:11:03

Gently OP, you seem heartbroken but aldo quite angry with your daughter in law especially. Mind you don’t allow the natural bias for your son to attribute all that is wrong to your DIL. They will feel it you see and that will cause more issues for you. And that’s okay if you dont mind - but this situation is causing you pain. Be polite, be open , set boundaries definately around what you can and cant do - but dont make your son choose. Good luck and I am sorry for your pain x