Gransnet forums

Estrangement

Despair

(73 Posts)
MISSKITTY Sun 06-Sept-26 14:51:45

I'm new here. My daughter has been with a controlling slob for 10 years. They have a beautiful little boy. I live 3 hours away and in a beautiful part of the country. Every summer she makes excuses not to come and visit me despite my grandson saying he'd like to. I've stopped going to stay with them as I can't cope seeing her wait on him hand and foot. He's a good dad but saying that he has never worked and grows cannabis in the house. When I say I'm so sad she tells me im depressed and need medication. I'm not depressed and live a full and varied life and work full time at 65. They've just made another excuse not to come and I've said my heart is broken. She's not responded to this. She's completely brainwashed by this disgusting person and I really don't know where to turn. I can't apologise for something I haven't done. She refuses to discuss anything as it's easier to gaslight me. I'd be grateful for any input. Thank you.

Smileless2012 Fri 11-Sept-26 15:44:17

I suspect that the vast majority of these 'new' posters are the same one or two who just keep coming back under different names.

MarieElla Fri 11-Sept-26 19:13:04

In fairness, although I am against laying into the OP as it's obvious they are very distressed by this estrangement but as we don't hear the estranger's voice it's difficult to advise. We really do need to know what caused the issues to make a balanced judgement.

Cossy Fri 11-Sept-26 19:33:42

I’ve just popped in to wish OP luck and to say perhaps those very few on here who consider being rude to a brand new and clearly distressed poster might like to take a few days off!

Absolutely no need to be so rude and it was completely unwarranted!

Cossy Fri 11-Sept-26 19:34:54

Peaseblossom

I reported OkBoomer's nasty comments and she has now been banned.

Well done!

Smileless2012 Fri 11-Sept-26 19:39:05

We only ever hear 'one side' but it only seems to be an issue for some here on the estrangement forum when the OP is the parent who has been, or fears they will be estranged.

It never seems to be an issue when the 'one side' we hear comes from the one doing the estranging. I wonder why hmm.

Whiff Fri 11-Sept-26 21:29:44

fancythat as soon as a new thread appears on the estrangement forum the horrible posters appear who have never been on GN before. A friend thinks it people from momsnet. Estrangement threads are always targeted. Some political ones do get haters but no forum gets the haters like Estrangement.

Gretsel Fri 11-Sept-26 22:01:12

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

Smileless2012 Fri 11-Sept-26 22:07:16

I've no idea Gretsel as I've never had the need to twist logic. How about you? I wonder if you find doing so as tiresome as I find posts like yours.

fancythat Fri 11-Sept-26 23:16:14

Smileless2012

I suspect that the vast majority of these 'new' posters are the same one or two who just keep coming back under different names.

That makes sense.
More than, there are oodles of people lining up to come on here.

It would mean though, they manage to get around the GN ban system somehow I suppose.

Lesley60 Sat 12-Sept-26 00:10:33

ExaltedWombat

You disapprove of her lifestyle, blame the husband and, I suspect, don’t keep these opinions to yourself! No wonder she stays away.

Is there ANY truth in the above?

Exalted Womat Why do you feel the need to be so rude and mean it says a lot about you

Smileless2012 Sat 12-Sept-26 07:41:46

All they need to do is rejoin with a different name *fancythat, time perhaps better spent trying to resolve their own anger and bitterness.

fancythat Sat 12-Sept-26 09:23:55

I thought only two name changes were allowed on this site.

Smileless2012 Sat 12-Sept-26 09:48:05

Banned posters can and do come back using a different name. What you're referring too fancythat are name changes that GNHQ knows about.

fancythat Sat 12-Sept-26 09:54:19

Oh.

I didnt know the first sentence could be achieved.

Smileless2012 Sat 12-Sept-26 09:59:53

Unfortunately it can.

petra Sat 12-Sept-26 10:06:49

A few of us know a member ( no longer on this site) who had 7 usernames over the years.

Smileless2012 Sat 12-Sept-26 10:21:42

no longer on this site but I suspect has been on very recently petra.

DogWhisperer Thu 17-Sept-26 07:30:05

Maybe you should think about cutting them out of your will because I can see that any inheritance they receive may be used to expand the cannabis-growing business. It may sound a bit drastic but it's common practice in the estranged parent world. You could consider leaving any money in trust for the grandchildren.

DogWhisperer Thu 17-Sept-26 07:34:17

P.S. If you decide to do this, there's no need to tell them you've done it or to discuss it with them because it would probably create further conflict.

Allsorts Thu 17-Sept-26 07:45:11

I would not be leaving anything to help a lazy slob.

MarieElla Thu 17-Sept-26 08:22:03

Calling someone a lazy slob and disgusting is very extreme.
If your daughter suspects you feel this way about him it's understandable she wants to keep away.

BlessedArt Thu 17-Sept-26 15:01:35

I think money is the last the someone worried about when they think their daughter is being controlled. Money shouldn’t be a weapon against family nor should it be used to control family. People who want and/or have healthy, loving relationships with family should know this.