Gransnet forums

Everyday Ageism

My first grannyisct attack.

(61 Posts)
66goodyear Wed 06-Jul-16 21:17:48

So at 49 years old and finding myself a Nonna I am feeling good with myself. Fit, healthy, all my own teeth and only a slightly dodgy pelvic floor- I am enjoying the confidence that comes with that.
Or I was until-
The other day I was on a 65 mile cycle event (30 miles too long in my opinion but I was foolish enough to accept a challenge- which is another story) so to lighten the day and help move along the 65 miles I engaged in some moderate to heavy two way flirting with one of the bike mechanics. The sort of flirting that is harmless; flirting that reminds both parties they are attractive human beings; flirting that puts a smile on your face and a tiny healthy (not dangerous is this a heart attack) flutter in your heart; flirting that doesn't involve a mortgage and bills; flirting- healthy happy flirting.

And then it happened.... As I was leaving the flirting ring with my parting dazzling all my own teeth smile and all my own lashes flutter- and no silicone wiggle- and just as my fellow flirtee dashed off his all his own parting flirting shots...

From my friend (?) my fellow female cycling partner,
it came loud and clear "errrmmmm don't forget you are a grandma".

Well dazzling smiles and parting flirting shots all came tumbling down in an instant as the word grandma hung heavy in the air.
And there it stayed.

Does it mean because I am a Nonna I am no longer able to use my well honed- years of practice flirting skills? Because I am a Nonna do I have to hide my silicone free done me proud got me out of a pickle or two over the years body in a shroud of grey smog? Is my heart restricted to flutters that can only be treated with drugs?

I think not. I have spent years learning to live with and feel confident with this body. I have spent years learning to make this body work for me. I have spent years putting this body through the torture of growing up, through puberty, through pregnancy, through the daily grind of daily life. My confidence has taken years of knocks and bashes, it has pulled itself up more times than its fallen and it is now ready to take on the world at full steam ahead.

Growing old disgracefully? Pah! I am not growing old disgracefully like it is a bad thing- I am growing old with confidence and freedom and if that means I flirt and wiggle and jiggle. Well so be it.

townie Sat 09-Jul-16 20:24:06

Sorry, really off subject now but personally I think there's all the difference in the world between having a private conversation between friends in 'real life' which may include references to what you can and can't afford and posting on social media to tell the world at large how well off, or attractive, or whatever, you are.

vampirequeen Sat 09-Jul-16 20:36:24

All the conversations I'm referring to have taken place online.

I just don't see how everyone who posts about things they have are necessarily boasting.

I talk to people who are substantially richer than me and people who are poorer than me. I don't think the richer ones are boasting. An online friend spent Christmas in a 5 star hotel in Nice. He and his wife had an amazing time and spent a lot of money but hey it's their money and I don't begrudge them their lifestyle.

The suggestion that people only boast about what they have has prompted me to ask someone who has very little whether they feel I'm boasting when I talk about things. She was amazed that anyone would even suggest such a thing.

townie Sat 09-Jul-16 20:44:51

Again, you seem to be talking about 'real' friends, even if you communicate with them online, not all and sundry.

vampirequeen Sat 09-Jul-16 21:31:23

I do not have any real friends. All my friends are virtual and I have many discussions on sites where I chat with all and sundry.

townie Sat 09-Jul-16 21:38:50

I guess there are lots of different ways of using the social media and we all do whatever works for us, which is good.

AnnieGran Mon 11-Jul-16 14:14:27

I keep my flirting muscles toned by practicing on my current husband, a Northerner (they are the best). I have yet to see anyone else I can be bothered to flirt with. As Paul Newman once said, "Why eat hamburger when you have steak at home?" grin

Jaxie Fri 15-Jul-16 10:13:36

Ta, Jalima. I met a man at a U3A meeting and thought he was flirting, as he informed me I looked ten years younger than my age. ( NOT STEALTH BOAST), as I look like a hag until I get the slap on. Then he asked me where I came from. When I told him: "Born in Manchester, brought up in Stockport." he replied, "Poor you." Bast-rd.

annsixty Fri 15-Jul-16 11:00:40

I live 3 miles from the centre of Stockport in what was a very nice area, a bit run done now but I could walk to several half million pound plus houses in 5 minutes.
I used to help run a brownie pack and we used to take them on pack holiday. We once stayed in a very pretty village some distance away and we went to church on Sunday morning. The vicar announced to the congregation that he hoped they would make the "children from a very poor and deprived area" very welcome.we didn't know whether to laugh or feel very insulted. Now back to flirting.

jenpax Tue 06-Sep-16 07:50:07

I don't know about flirting as it's been many years since I tried. When I turned into a grandparent at 46 I felt instantly ancient! I had thought of myself as still youngish being in my 40's and I made an effort to look ok and feel good, but suddenly the label of grandma knocked all that out and at 52 I haven't recovered. Lots of people tell me I am being silly and that being a grandparent doesn't immediately make you past it, and I don't look at other people that way but it makes no difference to my own self esteem sad

Christinefrance Tue 06-Sep-16 08:50:57

You are still a bright young thing 6 6Goodyear , I have a daughter of your age and would be dismayed if she felt she couldn't enjoy life and have some harmless fun. Live your life to the full and enjoy it.