Gransnet forums

Food

High Rise Scones?

(65 Posts)
Carillion Thu 20-Jun-19 21:16:33

I've read the thread on Fruit Scones but think I need to ask this anyway...my scones turn out like what they describe in America as 'breakfast biscuits'. I'd love to make scones that are Tall when baked...can anyone help me?

Misha14 Fri 21-Jun-19 19:07:48

Keffir works wonders for my scones. Not bad for my intestines either.

Fronkydonky Fri 21-Jun-19 20:47:42

ShySal has it in the bag. I was going to recommend this recipe but she’s saved me the trouble. They really are the BEST scones I’ve ever tasted. I use fresh double cream in the recipe. I have even substituted ginger beer for lemonade and added dried cranberries which make totally delicious scones too. So quick and easy to make. You do need to have the dough quite thickly rolled out before using the cutters. Delicious ?

watermeadow Fri 21-Jun-19 21:42:39

Many recipes use baking powder as well as SR flour and Mary Berry adds baking powder to all cake mixtures.
Baking powder in anything gives me instant indigestion and I make well-risen scones without it
I think that, as with pastry, some people can make lovely light scones and some can’t.

Anja Fri 21-Jun-19 21:47:28

I use buttermilk, but you do have to cut them at least an inch to start with.

MTDancer Tue 25-Jun-19 15:06:02

I just add a splash of vinegar to the milk

pinkprincess Tue 27-Aug-19 22:04:58

My mother and my grandmother could make perfect scones they always used sour milk.
Also a very hot oven.I remember as a small child my mother showing me the number 8 on her old gas cooker. It was the second highest temperature and as it looked like two scones one above the other, she used to say, ''That's the number for cooking scones''.

Mapleleaf Wed 28-Aug-19 15:25:13

Hello, Carillion.
You can buy a copy of the Be-Ro recipe book from this address:
The Be-Ro Kitchen,
PO Box 100
Blackburn
Lancashire
BB1 1GR.

Probably around the £2/£2.50 mark now.
Mine cost £1.50 but that was about 5 years ago.

Carillion01 Thu 29-Aug-19 11:18:06

Thank you Mapleleaf, I'm going to order this. X

humptydumpty Thu 29-Aug-19 12:20:22

My mother always said you can make either good scones or good sponge, but no0t both - true in my case, my sponges are like lead!

EllanVannin Thu 29-Aug-19 12:27:43

I reckon that ingredients have changed like everything else because my mother's baking was out of this world----scones and sponge cakes her speciality, always rose/risen. Pastry too.

Stansgran Thu 29-Aug-19 13:07:22

I made very good ones recently( doesn't often happen) by following an American recommendation to freeze the butter and add it by grating.

Lovetopaint037 Sat 12-Oct-19 09:35:24

Paul Hollywood has a scone recipe in his book “Baking”. I have tried it several times and the scones REALLY rise. The secret is using strong bread flour and baking powder. He also stipulates the way you roll it out.

MiniMoon Sat 12-Oct-19 11:24:17

If you can't get SR flour or decent baking powder, make your own baking powder.

I mix a half teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda and one teaspoon of cream of tartar to put into 8oz. plain flour when I'm making drop scones.

They fluff up beautifully.

Greenfinch Sat 12-Oct-19 11:53:40

I am with pinkprincess.I also use use sour milk(sometimes very sour) and have the oven very hot with a cooking time of 10 minutes.Scones are one thing that never fail me. I have always made them with the grandchildren for that reason even though my grandson says "do we have to make them with smelly milk ?