Gransnet forums

Genealogy/memories

Help with brick walls

(55 Posts)
Nagyi Sun 24-Jul-11 20:49:36

Sometimes it helps to have a fresh look at the brick walls we have in our family research. How about posting them here and perhaps another member can knock that wall down. BUT, FOR PRIVACY REASONS PLEASE DO NOT POST ANYTHING ABOUT PEOPLE WHO MAY STILL BE ALIVE.

Minder Thu 23-May-13 09:17:13

Hi Nelliemoser, I know! So many people called Hughes and why on earth call your child Hugh! Hugh John was, I think born about 1844-1848 but can't be sure about that.

All I have for him is the second marriage cert. It says he is full age which is not helpful hmm I seem to remember my Gran telling me many years ago that 'someone in the family was Welsh'. Don't you wish you'd taken more notice and asked questions. His son - my gt grandfather - was Henry Wynn Hughes and my Uncle is Wynn too so it seems to be a family name.

I have no idea when he died unfortunately. It's as though he got married to Catherine (2nd marriage and wasn't around before or after confused.

sarahc446655 Fri 06-Mar-15 18:14:39

Do you know anything else about your Christie family in Cornwall - my ancestors were there prominantly around 1500 - 1700 and listed as manorial land owners before that going to back to the 130Os.

Try the Cornwall Archives in Truro - which is where I found a collection of 261 documents and seen about 10 so far.

AlieOxon Fri 06-Mar-15 18:46:11

I had a brick wall on my ggrandfather and why and how he left his good job as manager of a bottleworks in Dublin..........to go to another works and go bankrupt! Now, having gone patiently through a lot of Dublin directories (Thom's, on fmp, and b****y difficult to search!):

I find that he became involved with a firm demonstrating a bottle-making machine, and seems to have put all his money into this new technology - and since they moved to the same address - which is what I found via the directories - I could identify the new works as the one he was at!
This was rather too early to invest in a machine to make bottles, they must have had a lot of problems, there was a big fire at the (uninsured) works - and the whole firm went bust in 1892.
He went bankrupt - and left for South Africa a few years later.

(This is perfectly in character, as he and his father had a history of taking up and working on new glassmaking ideas!)

loopylou Fri 06-Mar-15 19:17:35

Apparently my maternal grandfather never had his birth registered although we strongly believe he lived in Bath all his life.
So researching his family is proving extremely difficult..... There are no records we can find confused