Gransnet forums

Genealogy/memories

Retro perfumes

(64 Posts)
E1saBe Sun 13-Nov-11 09:48:04

It's my week for winning! I received lovely surprise email to tell me I won a copy of the Simply Wonderwoman book (on gransnet) shock and then yesterday I won a bottle of perfume from a raffle which when I got home and googled (didn't know it) it's v. expensive, "niche" perfume etc etc. £175.00 for my £1 raffle ticket. Nice! BUt from what I read I think I may not like it hmm Anyway it got me thinking about my favourite perfume ever which of course I just can't buy any more - Revlon Moon Drops. It so suited me, was my signature scent for years, and probably contributed to husband popping the question 35 years ago, it used to sure work on him in the seduction stakes. I find the modern perfumes often too 'heady' and strong - and they make my sinuses close up! Couldn't gransnet somehow exercise some collective muscle to bring back some of the retro perfumes from the 1960's? There must be an appetite (nose) for it.

Annobel Wed 30-Nov-11 16:39:49

I'm reeking of Blue Grass today. I thought I had lost it somewhere but it turned up in my basket of toiletries, though I am sure I had looked there!

bikergran Wed 30-Nov-11 21:35:26

"Pagan"........mmmmmmm.....supposed to drive men wild...
33 yrs later! still waiting........... hmm

jeni Sat 17-Dec-11 19:36:00

Jolie Madame was rochais as was femme. I used to use blue grass and femme. Now I use joy, essential Rose and Versace Versace

Ariadne Sun 18-Dec-11 07:06:12

Ma Griffe!

JessM Sun 18-Dec-11 07:53:00

Good griffe! I haven't heard that for years. The perfume ads on TV this week are full-on aren't they.

Ariadne Sun 18-Dec-11 09:04:11

JessM My daughter found some on eBay last Christmas. So evocative!

harrigran Sun 18-Dec-11 09:53:10

I used to wear Pagan in the 60s and Suede, the box had a suede feel to it if I remember correctly. I used to get a lot of compliments from the male patients so it must have been quite nice.

Gally Sun 18-Dec-11 09:58:14

Does anyone know how long perfume lasts? Does it have a use-by date?

jeni Sun 18-Dec-11 12:05:33

Will keep indefinitely if not opened. But what's the point of that?

Gally Sun 18-Dec-11 12:14:32

...but once it's opened?

jeni Sun 18-Dec-11 12:16:20

Kept tightly stoppered dark and cool, 6months. Then starts to deteriorate.

Anne58 Sun 18-Dec-11 17:52:40

I was brought up by my grandparents until I was 7, my mother would come to visit. To this day I remember her smelling of Helena Rubenstien "Apple Blossom" and face powder.

I love Mitsouko by Guerlain, apparently it's been going since the year dot, but unfortunately DH hates it!

I do however have Summer perfumes, Winter perfumes, and even daytime and evening perfumes!

Ariadne Sun 18-Dec-11 17:57:15

I bought a Jo Malone perfume a year ago - Green Fig & Cassis. It is so lovely! Now keep dropping hints....

JessM Sun 18-Dec-11 17:58:54

mm i like fruity smells.

goldengirl Sun 18-Dec-11 20:06:31

Kiki. A yellow ball type bottle if I remember correctly.
Having heard gma's story of Paris I wonder if my colleagues were trying to tell me something when they said they always knew where I was because of the perfume I wore - and yes, it was Paris! I still have a bottle somewhere but it will have definitely gone off by now. When I was in my early teens my dad used to buy me perfume. I said I liked Charlie and he continued to buy it for me ever onwards until I suggested I would like to try Kiki and the cycle repeated itself. My DH is similar when it comes to 'fragrances' as they're now called confused

pinkprincess Sun 18-Dec-11 23:18:40

Ma Griffe by Carven
Apple Blossom by Helena Rubinstein
Intimate by Revlon
Blue Grass, Memorie Cherie, both by Elizabeth Arden
Geminesse by Max Factor
Love Affair by Goya
Sea Jade by Yardley.

All beautiful and for me bring happy memories.

Ariadne Mon 19-Dec-11 06:18:03

Yardley used to do one called "Chique" (?) which I loved.

Annobel Mon 19-Dec-11 09:09:23

You're not by any chance thinking of Chypre, by Coty, are you, Ariadne? I used to like that very much in my student days.

jonssmith2 Wed 28-Dec-11 07:42:57

Message deleted by Gransnet.

greenmossgiel Wed 28-Dec-11 16:51:20

I remember 'Chique', by Yardley! Also Coty's Chypre - can you remember Goya's Black Rose? 'Heaven Sent' by Helena Rubenstein, too? Lovely!

em Wed 28-Dec-11 17:08:52

Goldengirl wasn't it Kiku - with the luxury of the big ball of matching talc and a puff!
Can't help noticing that in these chats, the one that crops up often is Ma Griffe. It was relatively recently that I realised how sexy that name is!

goldengirl Wed 28-Dec-11 18:03:56

Yes em I think it was. I thought it the height of sophistication at the time!

em Wed 28-Dec-11 18:06:01

Wasn't it! I loved it !

greenmossgiel Wed 28-Dec-11 18:07:05

When I'd just started work, I bought myself a little bottle of perfume called Pink Mink. It couldn't have been expensive. Can anyone remember it? I'd love to find some again!

numberplease Thu 29-Dec-11 00:21:08

Never heard of that one Greenmossgiel, but I do remember Helena Rubenstein`s Heaven Scent, in the pale blue box, it was lovely. Can`t remember if I`ve mentioned it before, but when I was in my teens, a few years ago (lol!!) I loved In Love, by Norman Hartnell, does anyone else remember that one?