Gransnet forums

Genealogy/memories

Retro perfumes

(64 Posts)
E1saBe Sun 13-Nov-11 09:48:04

It's my week for winning! I received lovely surprise email to tell me I won a copy of the Simply Wonderwoman book (on gransnet) shock and then yesterday I won a bottle of perfume from a raffle which when I got home and googled (didn't know it) it's v. expensive, "niche" perfume etc etc. £175.00 for my £1 raffle ticket. Nice! BUt from what I read I think I may not like it hmm Anyway it got me thinking about my favourite perfume ever which of course I just can't buy any more - Revlon Moon Drops. It so suited me, was my signature scent for years, and probably contributed to husband popping the question 35 years ago, it used to sure work on him in the seduction stakes. I find the modern perfumes often too 'heady' and strong - and they make my sinuses close up! Couldn't gransnet somehow exercise some collective muscle to bring back some of the retro perfumes from the 1960's? There must be an appetite (nose) for it.

janthea Thu 29-Dec-11 10:40:10

My favourite aunt always used to wear April Violets by Yardley. I recently discovered that Yardley have reintroduced some of the old perfumes and April Violets is one of them. I couldn't resist buying a bottle. It brough back memories.

harrigran Thu 29-Dec-11 12:08:03

I used to wear Heaven sent when I was first married, I just have to see a pale blue box and I can smell it. I loved Ma Griffe too, I do wish they would re-introduce these perfumes, it would bring back happy memories.

greenmossgiel Thu 29-Dec-11 17:55:19

I do remember Hartnell's In Love, numberplease! It was in a narrow oblong bottle. The scent was gorgeous, and kind of musky?

numberplease Thu 29-Dec-11 23:23:25

Yes Greenmossgiel, that`s the one, in my teens I loved it, then it disappeared.

chadsky Sun 22-Jan-12 13:55:50

does anyone remember Gingham - almost smelt the same a Brut (70's ) era and Aqua Manda I liked both of those

Tosh Sun 22-Jan-12 19:13:33

Yardley Tweed always reminded me of my mum...as did Blue Grass.

As an older teenager I used to wear Coty L'Aimant (sp) which my now DG loved. We got engaged when I was 18 and being away at Teacher Training College, just before I turned 20 we ''called it off''. I gave him back my engagement ring .....but not before I soaked the box with said perfume !!
2 months later we were back together ...he said the ''ring smelled of your perfume every time I opened my drawer'' !!! grin
Perhaps it is time to confess ...that was 1968 !!!!
I loved 'Charlie'....until I got pregnant !!!! ...now we need a ''YUK'' emocion !!!!

Tosh Sun 22-Jan-12 19:15:43

For DG read DH !!!!!

Nanknowsbest Sat 28-Jan-12 07:26:16

oops that supposed to be 'right' not write and you can still get it today.

Nanknowsbest Sat 28-Jan-12 07:28:05

Oh dear done that all wrong, i was trying to post that Estee Lauder Youth Dew was my fave perfume back in the day.

CHEELU Mon 10-Dec-12 18:17:54

I was at school in the 70's and the perfume of the day was just musk.

specki4eyes Mon 10-Dec-12 22:18:02

Tabu by Dana - I loved that back in the 60's and used to wear it all the time - a guy who I was crazy about stood beside me at a party one evening and said 'you smell'. The way he said it, I knew it was meant as a compliment and at 18 it was the first time I felt utterly desirable and erotic..ah my lost youth!

Jodi Mon 10-Dec-12 23:03:44

Was recently told by a 2 year old that 'you smell nice'.

Good old Vicks Vapour Rub wink

FlicketyB Tue 11-Dec-12 12:14:17

Just come to this thread, cannot think why I havent looked at it before. The poster who listed their progression from Blue Grass to Je reviens to Youth Dew has followed the exact path my mother did, and brought back some happy memories of seeing her and smelling her perfume before she went out in the evening. She was using Youth Dew until she died..

I fell in love with Diorissmo at 16 when a friend gave me a spray from a bottle she had and although I love others, I always come back to Diorissmo. It smells of Lily of the Valley, my favourite flower scent, Most of my life it has been out of my price range so life has been a constant search for a less expensive equivalent which I found in Wood's of Windsor's Lily of the Valley. However they went bust and in their resurrection now do such tiny bottles of eau de toilette I now spoil myself by using Diorissimo.