Gransnet forums

Genealogy/memories

" Saturday jobs", did you have one? And what about your chidren/ grandchildren?

(85 Posts)
Daddima Wed 20-Apr-16 13:25:15

I began working in a local drapery ( remember them?) when I was 15, for which I received 12/6 ( Woolworth's paid 15/-) I think all my friends had "Saturday jobs" also.

My brothers both had jobs as delivery boys ( bike with basket on the front) for local shops from about 13 years old, and this was after having worked on farms since they were about 8 years old.

My own sons also had jobs since they were about 15, but I don't think it's so common nowadays. Am I wrong?

jan727 Fri 22-Apr-16 19:22:07

I worked in Timothy Whites-like Boots now.I too received 19s 9d for the Saturday and £3 9s 9d for the week (in the holidays). My DD worked in a clothes kiosk at West Bay (Broadchurch) and was paid £12 aday ! I used to stay and work with her. It was a great time. We did that for two summer holidays-and we received a reduction on any clothes we wanted.

grannyactivist Fri 22-Apr-16 19:41:38

My mum had a Saturday job so I had to stay home and look after my siblings. When I was 15 I had to leave school and go to work; my dad cut out two ads from the newspaper and told me to apply for both. I got the first job I applied for at the princely sum of 6 guineas a week and thereafter handed my unopened wage packets to my dad and was given ten shillings back to pay for bus fares etc.
My children have all had jobs from age 14 and sometimes two or three at a time. However when they were at university they all only worked (work - still got one at uni) during the holidays as their courses were (are) all pretty full on.

lynnie1 Fri 22-Apr-16 21:15:39

I did Saturday mornings at the papershop over the road age twelve. My cousin and I applied for Woolies and I can remember doing a maths test. I was on ladies tights and then cashier. My enduring disappointment was that I never made the records counter....

grands Sat 23-Apr-16 02:45:55

Yes, I did have a Saturday job. I worked in a gent's shop in the shoe department. No, the younger members of family have not had Saturday jobs. Seems like the youngsters wanted Social life. As majority work Monday to Friday mainly. I think the younger generations have been encouraged to be assertive, and many prioritise :- Seeking out what they want. Meanwhile they are often treated by older relatives. Whilst they use their own time and any funds gathered to party etc.

Some previous generations had more responsibility. Maybe for sibling/s or helping Gran etc. Maybe that responsibility made us grow up faster, wanting to work, earn, provide gifts etc for family and friends.

Nannyfrance Sat 23-Apr-16 08:05:45

I worked in a green grocers/fishmongers for 15/- a day. When I threatened to go to Woolworths to work, as they paid more, the boss increased my pay to 17/6. I started work at 9am, had 1 hour for lunch and finished at 6pm. It was a very busy shop and I was expected to lift and carry 56lb sacks of potatoes and heavy boxes of fish. When I got home I had to take a bath and wash all my clothes to get rid of the fishy smell. Not a nice job, but it made me appreciate the office jobs I had when I left school.

baubles Sat 23-Apr-16 08:36:23

My first job was my older brother's paper round when he tired of it, I think I was 12 or 13. A year or two later I started a Saturday job in a local newsagent along with a friend. We occasionally found ourselves 'accidentally' dropping bars of chocolate which then couldn't be sold. The manager let us take any broken bars home.

I also babysat for the same family for several years.

My DD started waitressing at 14 in a local coffee shop but soon discovered that her natural ability to trip over her own feet wasn't compatible with the job. She moved on to retail and had weekend jobs in clothes shops until she graduated from university. She still fell over her feet though.

DS delivered papers then worked in a supermarket.

DD has a very strong work ethic. DS sees it as a necessary evil. grin

Janal Sat 23-Apr-16 15:04:45

My son had a job in a supermarket scraping the mould off packets of cheese and re wrapping them.

Anya Sat 23-Apr-16 15:51:59

Yes, I had a Saturday job in Woolworths at 15, starting off on the sweet counter and scoffed my weight in brazil nuts. When I was older 16-17 I worked at Stead and Simpson. During the summer holidays when I was 19 I worked as a nanny/childminder to three little brats children whose mother worked. 1966 World Cup year found me working the summer holidays at Pleasure Land in Southport. I also worked as an artist's model but kept all my clothes on. All this to see me through my Teacher Training hmm

My children always had a variety of Saturday jobs and holiday jobs eg helping out at local pig farm, mucking out stables (including Red Rum's), tomato picking (beware the bees), courgette cutting (look out for blisters), and a Life Guard on Ainsdale Beach.

Linsco56 Sat 21-May-16 16:03:42

On a Saturday I helped in my grandparents drapery shop. Old fashioned cash drawer and huge rolls of brown paper for wrapping and strangest of strange, all ladies sanitary products were wrapped in brown paper before being placed on the shelf. I can only guess my grandfather felt uncomfortable looking at them! Loved spending my Saturdays with them surrounded by balls of wool, knitting patterns, denim dungarees and wellingtons (for local farmers), embroidered handkerchiefs etc, etc. Miss them both so much.

My DD worked part time at our local Tesco supermarket while she was at uni. It paid for her nights out and holiday spending money.