Gransnet forums

Genealogy/memories

Who’s the Daddy and where is my sister.

(36 Posts)
Fernbergien Sun 24-Jan-21 11:40:48

I hope I am allowed to put this stuff on Gransnet as don’t want to upset or annoy anyone.
Son been doing tree on and off for some time now and then had DNA done. Very surprising when it came back
Thought it would help re finding half sister but no luck there. Adopted. DOB 10/07/43.
But apparently my dad is not the man mother was married to! Checking back through it could appear that he was Scottish - Aberdeen.
Hope no rules broken here. I am just a big mystery!
Any advice could be useful. Be kind.

Blossoming Wed 19-Oct-22 15:50:17

Sorry for misnaming you earlier Fernbergien

Floradora9 Wed 19-Oct-22 21:25:00

Oopsadaisy1

PS you will only find siblings if they also have their DNA samples on the family research sites you are on.

But if there is no DNA match at all to the OP's supposed dad or his family he cannot be her dad.

Floradora9 Wed 19-Oct-22 21:27:23

Esspee

**Fernbergien*. Your half sister may never have had her DNA tested and even if she had she might have used a different company to do it. I feel it is crazy that all these DNA companies do not “talk to each other”. How much better it would be if for genealogical purposes their findings were pooled.
Being born in 1943 there is a good chance that she is no longer alive. Have you her name after adoption? If so presumably you have looked for her marriage and death online.
My first stop would be the adoption organisations in the town she was adopted from. I am sure there are books suggesting how to search for adopted people. Wouldn’t it be lovely to find her. Good luck.

You can share your DNA on three different sites if you use Ancestry to do the testing .

Nannagarra Wed 19-Oct-22 23:02:27

Fernbergien, I’ve enjoyed learning you’ve solved the mystery of your biological father, caught up with your half sister and her family and met your cousin. That your younger son resembles Jill’s deceased brother in looks, build, mannerisms and movements plus has the same profession is astounding. What an amazing detective your son is.
Apart from finding some babies born very soon after marriage…ahem….I have nothing to parallel your news. For the most part it’s mundane except for an ancestor born in Southern Europe at a time when records weren’t really kept and name spellings were inconsistent. DNA is my only hope of a link.
Will you let us know how you get on when you meet your sister, other niece and family in a week’s time?
Tracing family history is fascinating and absorbs me for hours.

Esspee Thu 20-Oct-22 09:17:53

Floradora9 I knew you could upload a is it gedcom? file but I am not technically savvy enough to do that.
Does that give you access to other sites?

Grammaretto Thu 20-Oct-22 09:39:52

How thrilling to find your sister,fernbergian
I shared my DNA from Ancestry to My heritage but there were no closer matches on there.
My sister and 2 of my AC have done theirs so it's fun to be told I'm related to these folk!
I have also confirmed family rumours about DGF.

Fernbergien Sun 30-Oct-22 20:29:36

Nannagarra ( and others) thank you. We met up on Wednesday at their rented place and we didn’t cry. Just big grins and hugs. We are very different as I am small and have mid brown hair (aided) and wear a little makeup and she is tall and grey hair and overall much bigger. But we seem to like the same things ( William Morris) . And many other things. Eldest niece and family there too.
Next day big lunch at nice pub was 14 as youngest niece there plus my two sons plus kids and partners.The two girl cousins goton with my two sons. It was if we had always known each other. So natural. And it all came from my naughty mother.
All the kids are exceptionally bright.
If you want to know more I am happy to tell.

Nannagarra Sun 30-Oct-22 22:06:19

Thank you for your update Fernbergien. I’m so pleased all went well, that there were big hugs and grins, that it all felt very natural. What a happy result for everyone. It’s entirely up to you if you wish to reveal more.

Fernbergien Sun 20-Nov-22 11:41:53

Don’t forget if you want to trace an adopted relative don’t pay an agency go to your local county council.in my case Hampshire . Made many phone calls and got passed around but got there in the end. Very helpful. Got interviewed on line. They had no success re tracing my sister and said it would have to be done by private agency after all which was quite expensive then 24 hours later had contact from niece who had had her DNA done.
Found out that on both sides accountancy law engineering and maths. And now computers so naughty but bright genes. It has made me feel better about myself as I had been made to feel nothing as a child and teenager.

Nannagarra Sun 20-Nov-22 12:05:07

Thank you for the helpful tip. I’m so pleased all has worked out well for you, that you see many similarities and now feel better. A happy reunion on lots of levels.