Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Proud Gran

(91 Posts)
rafichagran Sat 09-Jul-16 16:21:28

My 11 year old grandson has just had his sats score. He reached the required standard in each of the thee things they were marked on, doing very well and obtaining very high marks. Although proud of that, I am more proud of the way he has conducted himself through out the tests. He worked hard, remained calm and kept his head when all around others were losing theirs. The media stories of tests being much harderthis year before he had even taken the test. Mothers taking their children out of school, children getting very strssed and getting upset. I was amazed at how he took it all in his stride. His can do attitude was a credit to his school, his parents and himself. I know some people are very anti sats, but I have an enormous pride in his whole attitude. Maybe some people can learn from the kids what can be achieved with the right attitude.'

Anya Sat 09-Jul-16 16:28:26

Sorry rafichagran I fnd your post triumphal and patronising.

You're last sentence buggers belief.

Anya Sat 09-Jul-16 16:29:22

Oops....beggars belief wink

breeze Sat 09-Jul-16 16:29:53

Your absolute pride in your DGS so shines through. Not only for his results but the way he handled the difficult and nerve wracking task. My 2 granddaughters are only 3 and 5, so we haven't got there yet with them; but I so clearly remember my 3 boys and the exam traumas! So pleased for you.

Anya Sat 09-Jul-16 16:29:57

I give up! This iPad is determined to take over!

breeze Sat 09-Jul-16 16:36:08

Anya, I'm surprised. I don't know your posts well (I nearly said 'you' well!) but it doesn't seem like you. Unless you know something I don't know, I don't understand. It's so 'British' to feel unable to shout from the rooftops if you feel uplifted by an achievement. Why not say if you are happy for a loved ones achievement. Enlighten me if you've got a hidden agenda.

Anya Sat 09-Jul-16 16:56:40

It's not the fact that rafi's grandson did well and she is proud of it. In fact there is a thread where another gran has mentioned that her grandchild reached the required level. And I didn't take exception to her post.

No, it's the way she or he is crticising others that's so wrong. These tests, the English grammar element in particular, are a waste of time and only reflect a child's 'ability' to regurgitate what has been force fed to them by teachers who would rather not be teaching this kind of content.

I speak as a retired Y6 teacher, with responsibility for KS2 SATs and as a grandmother of a boy in Y5, whose parents are equally horrified at the content of these tests and who are both secondary English teachers.

I rest my case.

rafichagran Sat 09-Jul-16 17:36:59

Get over yourself Anya, I am very proud, who do you think you are calling me patonising and triumphal, I stated quite clearly I know some people do not agree with sats,and I did not agree with the way some people expressed themselves before the sats, my opinion, My pride is the way my grandson conducted himself, and I stand by that. why you felt to mention you were a teacher I don't know and your reply was just spiteful and vindictive. I wrote a thread just saying how proud I am of my Grandson and how I did not agree with what was happening before. You have your opinion fine, let me have mine.

Jane10 Sat 09-Jul-16 17:55:20

Its nice to hear from a proud Gran. I don't quite understand what other posters are objecting to. Well done that lad!

Anya Sat 09-Jul-16 18:12:35

Think what you want rafi but as you say I'm entitled to my opinion and your reply certainly hasn't changed that, rather the opposite.

Anya Sat 09-Jul-16 18:13:10

SATs

rafichagran Sat 09-Jul-16 18:29:46

Anya I have not tried to change your mind, your opinion means nothing to me, just laughed at your silly reply with the ending I rest my case. I am not arguing about sats, I just posted of my pride in my Grandson and how I did not agree with what was happening before. You are coming across to me as a silly woman who does not like people disagreeing with you I stand also by what I say, a can do attitude really does help, and my Grandson has shown that.

Anya Sat 09-Jul-16 18:39:10

Well well!

Anya Sat 09-Jul-16 18:45:56

roastchicken

annodomini Sat 09-Jul-16 18:46:47

No matter how well my GS did, I am still anti-SATs in their present form. Writing, which was not one of the formally examined subjects, was teacher-assessed and locally moderated. Why couldn't this be done with Maths, Reading and SPAG? Of course there were children who took it all in their stride but quite unnecessary angst was caused to children who no doubt had worked their socks off but suddenly found the papers unexpectedly difficult. Perhaps rafichagran might spare a thought for these children who are victims of the pressure exerted by these inhumane tests.

annodomini Sat 09-Jul-16 18:46:48

No matter how well my GS did, I am still anti-SATs in their present form. Writing, which was not one of the formally examined subjects, was teacher-assessed and locally moderated. Why couldn't this be done with Maths, Reading and SPAG? Of course there were children who took it all in their stride but quite unnecessary angst was caused to children who no doubt had worked their socks off but suddenly found the papers unexpectedly difficult. Perhaps rafichagran might spare a thought for these children who are victims of the pressure exerted by these inhumane tests.

J52 Sat 09-Jul-16 19:07:34

SATs or no SATs, I was happy with children, who were considered thoughtful and kind human beings.

Both for my own DSs and the hundreds that I taught over the years.

rafichagran Sat 09-Jul-16 19:09:47

I repeat, I am not arguing about sats, just sharing my pride in my Grandson, I am sorry for children who found it difficult, but I am not in a position to do anything about that. I am talking about my pride in my Grandson, thats all. I would also like to thank people for their private messages of support and telling my Grandson well done.

annodomini Sat 09-Jul-16 19:43:22

J52 smile

BBbevan Sat 09-Jul-16 20:11:47

We once had a little boy in Yr 2 doing Sats. He was so upset by the whole thing , that when confronted by the paper, pulled his jumper over his head and sat in silence to the end. We never as a school referred to Sats just ' special work' The pressure must have come from home. This was an extreme reaction but not unknown.
Rachis GD must be a stoical, confident and happy soul to breeze through the tests.
Congratulations to him, his teachers and parents. Some children are not so lucky.

rafichagran Sat 09-Jul-16 20:50:39

BB Bevan, I agree and thankyou for your comments re my GS I know some children find things difficult and I accept that. But this does not stop me from being proud of my GS and his achievements. I agree everyone has a opinion on this, and emotions run high, but this was my good news story,and I am happy to share it.

Lillie Sat 09-Jul-16 20:52:37

I think the problem is that too many people, maybe like rafichagran, put too much emphasis on comparing their own child's results with those of other less fortunate pupils who do not fare as well in tests for various reasons. Each child is an individual, and not everything should be measured by academic achievement. I always think the best way is to praise effort, application and yes, high marks too, but how other children perform alongside one's own is completely irrelevant.

rafichagran Sat 09-Jul-16 21:10:43

Lillie I can assure you I do not compare my Grandsons results with anyone. I work full time and do not go round the school to collect him. Also I have no one to compare him with as I do not mix in those circles anymore. Glad you said maybe as I don't know why you would think that. Also please note I did not put his scores on here. If I did you could maybe say that. All I have said is I am proud of his achievements but most of all his behaviour leading up to the Sats.

Jalima Sat 09-Jul-16 21:24:06

I do think a lot of parents can transfer their anxiety to their children; some pupils in DGD's school were extremely anxious to the point of sickness re the SATs because, I think, of transferred anxiety.
However, DGD took it in her stride because her parents did not express any anxiety to her.

Jalima Sat 09-Jul-16 21:24:39

I think I over-used the word anxiety in that post hmm

Failed!!