Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Proud Gran

(92 Posts)
rafichagran Sat 09-Jul-16 16:21:28

My 11 year old grandson has just had his sats score. He reached the required standard in each of the thee things they were marked on, doing very well and obtaining very high marks. Although proud of that, I am more proud of the way he has conducted himself through out the tests. He worked hard, remained calm and kept his head when all around others were losing theirs. The media stories of tests being much harderthis year before he had even taken the test. Mothers taking their children out of school, children getting very strssed and getting upset. I was amazed at how he took it all in his stride. His can do attitude was a credit to his school, his parents and himself. I know some people are very anti sats, but I have an enormous pride in his whole attitude. Maybe some people can learn from the kids what can be achieved with the right attitude.'

annsixty Sat 09-Jul-16 21:33:04

I have a very un-academic GC and my heart breaks every time my friends ring with their boasting of their GC's achievements .
This sadly is my problem and not theirs, we are now at A- levels and university age
and I get upset by the superiority. My GC is struggling with staying on to 18
. Be proud of the things your GC do but don't rub others noses in it it is unkind.

rafichagran Sat 09-Jul-16 22:13:52

I am proud, and I have never rubbed anyone's nose in it. Why do people assume I would? I repeat I only know his marks, and not the marks of anyone else, that would be none of my business.

Bellanonna Sat 09-Jul-16 22:17:39

Feeling a bit sorry for rafichagran, who I feel just wanted to share her pride in her grandson's achievements. Whatever anyone's feelings about SATs, the OP only came on here to say how pleased and proud she was. I don't call that boasting, nor indeed making comparisons with other "less fortunate pupils". Well done to the grandson, and hopefully rafichagran is not put off further posting.

cornergran Sat 09-Jul-16 22:31:11

The OP, if my reading of her post is accurate, was reporting being proud of her grandson's attitude, not necessarily the outcome or indicating approval of SATs. Surely that's appropriate for a grandparent? Infuess others will disagree, but that's my interpretation of the post and I agree, a positive attitude.

Lillie Sat 09-Jul-16 22:32:38

I think, maybe, it was the image of "all around other pupils were losing their heads" which caught my attention, so yes, they were less fortunate and that constitutes a graphic comparison. Hope they found their heads again soon after. grin

blue25 Sat 09-Jul-16 22:33:00

What a tactless post OP. Why would others on an anonymous forum be interested?

rafichagran Sat 09-Jul-16 22:34:30

Thankyou Belladonna, I will not be put off posting. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, I respect that, and I will always give my honest opinion on a subject I choose to post on, even if it means people disagree with me. It's what makes Gransnet interesting.

rafichagran Sat 09-Jul-16 22:46:00

Lillie, Read my post, never used the word pupils, one thing trying to be clever but get your facts right. Blue 25, don't read it then, there are plenty of other posts you can read. Nothing tackless about it, I have not made comparisons, just expressed my joy. Seems some people are happy for my Grandson and have expressed it here and by PM.

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 09-Jul-16 22:53:48

This is so unfair to Rachifagran. Why not just refrain from commenting?

Weird!

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 09-Jul-16 22:55:58

I think my GS must have done these tests. I haven't a clue how he got on. His mum probably told me but tbh, it goes in one ear and out the other. (Bad granny alert!)

rafichagran Sat 09-Jul-16 23:06:15

Jinglebellsfrocks,Love it. I am usually accused by my daughter of that. As you say (bad Gran alert).

Welshwife Sat 09-Jul-16 23:08:22

I was surprised by the use of the word 'results' - do the children get a mark now rather than just a level as they did in my day?

Anne worry not about your DGD - she is greatly loved by you and she will know that. My DGD was not that great during her teens despite working hard - later we discovered she had not been totally well. She realised herself she would not find going to Uni easy so concentrated on getting a job she enjoys every day. She is now a young adult and is doing extremely well in her job despite not going to Uni - she is a loving kind young woman and is happy and enjoys life. Your DGD will do fine, not everyone can be a genius. As long as she is happy - that is the main thing. smile.

Katek Sat 09-Jul-16 23:47:45

I'm so glad we don't do SATS in Scotland!

annodomini Sat 09-Jul-16 23:56:13

Maybe some people can learn from the kids what can be achieved with the right attitude
So far, in three consecutive years, three of my GC have taken SATs with perfectly satisfactory results - one of them with excellent results - and all three of them have completely different approaches to these tests. So what is this 'right attitude'? There are some children - and I admit I was one - who find exams relatively easy and don't get at all fazed by them. Others, who might be equally intelligent, feel the weight of parental expectations, of over-anxious teachers or of a competitive peer group. At 10 or 11 this is asking a lot. We thought it was all over when most LEAs got rid of the 11+ but now it's back in the form of nationally administered SATs.

breeze Sun 10-Jul-16 08:16:50

I was impressed anyway. I still have a detention slip brought home by eldest son, in my 'box of stuff' that says under 'Reason for detention' 'Throwing a dead bird at another student'!

mumofmadboys Sun 10-Jul-16 08:42:05

Annsixty.Academic excellence is one of many things to celebrate. So is sporting ability, musical ability, being personable and kind to others and a whole host of other gifts/ abilities I'm sure your GC has gifts of their own and these should be celebrated Too much emphasis on academic achievement causes many of our youngsters to have low self esteem problems. I am sure you are sensitive enough to help your GC value their particular abilities.

Izabella Sun 10-Jul-16 08:58:39

Interesting thread. Period.

BBbevan Sun 10-Jul-16 09:22:57

breeze my sister has a detention slip for one of her sons, now 44. It reads " for entering the classroom through the window and not the door" He is a Dr now

Lillie Sun 10-Jul-16 09:39:56

I love a child with a soul as well as a brain, and a little mischievousness is good!
mumofmadboys puts it well, we mustn't underestimate any gifts of any child.
Our school broke up on Friday and my parting wish was that every child enjoyed a happy and safe summer holiday within their loving families.
That's it for tests, exams, assessments for 8 weeks! Chill. smile

Nelliemoser Sun 10-Jul-16 09:40:27

My inlaws children are roughly the same age as mine. We had one a year each. When it came to exams I was telling my MIL what DD had got. Good results but not spectacular. I asked MIL about her cousin. Mil said "she did Ok" when I pressed her on this she said my neice had 9A stars.

I was probably over thinking this but I felt annoyed that Mil had felt the need to prevaricate about this perhaps thinking I would feel she was not regarding DDs achievements as important.

All children are different. My son was clever but liked enjoying himself and was a last minute worker. Lots of school reports about him not working hard enough. He nearly got kicked out with one important failed uni paper and had to resit.
He eventually got a PHd but that took a long time as he got distracted by musical stuff of all sorts. G & S, Classical stuff, Heavy Metal.

DD was similarly not one to apply herself very hard to her work at school and uni. She ended up with a degree in social studies and about 4 yrs later, much to my surprise, decided to go for a degree in adult nursing and now works in a hi-tech ICU.

They are both good people enjoying their lives. It's what you do in life that is important. Not how spectacularly you pass your exams.

breeze Sun 10-Jul-16 09:51:17

BBeven so funny!

Jane10 Sun 10-Jul-16 11:32:43

My DS had many,many detentions at school! He just wouldn't toe the line. His not very good exam results always seemed to be a complete surprise to him -but not to us.
I wish he could have been more like the OPs GS but if he was he wouldn't be himself! I didn't mind in the least hearing about a boy doing well and being a credit to his parents and grandparents.

Nelliemaggs Sun 10-Jul-16 15:14:40

My 7 year old grandson aced his SATS.. And so he should. He was born intelligent and enquiring and has encouraging and supportive parents, a never ending supply of useful activities available for him and a competitive streak. I had three children, one who was top in everything and enjoyed pressure, one who was also top in everything but worried himself sick (literally) over exams at every age. My third, for reasons totally beyond her control, struggled with all schoolwork and would have scored below the level required for any grade. My heart broke for her throughout her school years. So I don't brag about my grandkids. They are just lucky. I tell them well done and enjoy a hug.

VIOLETTE Sun 10-Jul-16 15:43:20

Glad you are proud of him ! Have no truck with these people who say Oh poor things, the stress of exams ! Give me a break and go get a life ! If they haven't noticed by now EVERYTHING is life is a challenge .....if they are mollycoddled through childhood, what kind of adults will they become ? 'everyone owes me a living' ' I shouldn't be asked to do this'....'someone said something I didn't like, can I sue them ?' ....ye Gods ! I like a lot on here grew up in the 50s when life was tough ....we just got on with it ...never tried to blame anyone else ....took exams at school, passed or failed, went to Secondary Modern or Grammar School, then to work at 15, or on to college - some even went to Uni ! I despair for the future of the UK if children are bought up to always expect never to fail at anything and to be worshipped and kept in cotton wool !

gillyknits Sun 10-Jul-16 16:01:19

I often read these posts and sometimes feel that I want to join in a discussion but, having read today's thread, won't be doing so after this.