Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Proud Gran

(92 Posts)
rafichagran Sat 09-Jul-16 16:21:28

My 11 year old grandson has just had his sats score. He reached the required standard in each of the thee things they were marked on, doing very well and obtaining very high marks. Although proud of that, I am more proud of the way he has conducted himself through out the tests. He worked hard, remained calm and kept his head when all around others were losing theirs. The media stories of tests being much harderthis year before he had even taken the test. Mothers taking their children out of school, children getting very strssed and getting upset. I was amazed at how he took it all in his stride. His can do attitude was a credit to his school, his parents and himself. I know some people are very anti sats, but I have an enormous pride in his whole attitude. Maybe some people can learn from the kids what can be achieved with the right attitude.'

Mumsy Mon 11-Jul-16 09:39:11

like you annsixty I hate being told every little detail if I want to know I will ask. I know someone who does nothing but go on all the time about what her kids have or havent done. At the coffee mornings she repeats it to everyone that comes through the door shes like a flippen parrot it does my head in!!

Anya Mon 11-Jul-16 09:44:27

Nor, do you know me rafi but that didn't stop you posting some rather strange things about me.

I get that you're proud. That's fine. Not the issue. In fact if you'd said ' that's a bit harsh Anya' I might even have agreed with you.

But you could have written that post in a very different way and still have expressed your pride, without hinting that a child only needs the correct 'attitude' to succeed.

I endorse a 'can do' approach to life, it means a great deal. BUT in my wide and varied teaching career I have come across so many different children, that my heart goes out to those who want to succeed, who try their damnedest and never quite make the grade. Doomed as failures at 10 or 11.

I'm pleased for your GS. May he continue to succeed - I mean that genuinely.

Maggymay Mon 11-Jul-16 10:32:19

This post reminds me of a cruise DH and I went on.

We had a shared table for our evening meal and you had hardly sat down before someone started wittering on about their wonderful,marvellous,brilliant dead clever children or grandchildren.

Next time it's a table for two!!!

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 11-Jul-16 10:53:43

This is Gransnet. (For grans) It's not a cruise ship! hmm

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 11-Jul-16 10:56:13

Anya Newsflash! The less able children aren't actually going to read this thread. hmm (stop worrying about them)

rafichagran Mon 11-Jul-16 10:59:43

I have posted about my Grandson once, and stand by it, however I do not go on about my Grandchildren, unless people ask me or I am with like minded people. I am still at work, and have friends who are younger than me and friends who do not have Grandchildren. I am very aware thatthey do not want to listen to me talking about my family all the time, hence they are still friends. Also from a different perspective I sometimes get bored with people talking about other things, e.g. their wonderful homes. I respect there right to talk about it, just I find it boring.

annodomini Mon 11-Jul-16 11:00:20

When I was a child, my granny was always going on about my cousins' musical achievements. I learnt to play the piano and still can't. I don't know what she said about me to them when I got the dux prix in the sixth form. I hope she was proud of me. Unfortunately she died before I got a degree - a better one than either of my cousins! All I can say is, let them know you're very proud of them, as I did my GD2 just last week.

annodomini Mon 11-Jul-16 11:01:11

'prix'? No, this was a Scottish academy, not a French Lycée!

grumppa Mon 11-Jul-16 12:29:37

Dux prix? Come on the drakes!

Marty Mon 11-Jul-16 14:42:32

I am very happy for you Rafichagran. I can find nothing wrong in your post. Anya's response is way OTT. Well done to your grandson for coping so well.

NanaandGrampy Mon 11-Jul-16 15:18:13

I think I probably do go on about my grandkids. I try not to do it too much but inevitably they are a large part of my life so there's usually a mention in here and there.

I'm sorry if I bore you - switch off...I don't mind smile

Equally , I actually do want to hear about my friends families including their grandkids. Its sharing their joys and happiness in my opinion and also being able to help and support when things are less rosy .

So congrats to you OP - why wouldn't you be proud of his achievements !

Anya Mon 11-Jul-16 15:32:39

You're all heart jingl

Elrel Mon 11-Jul-16 15:44:22

I gave up marking KS2 English SATs when they moved so far away fronm the literacy I had been encouraging in pupils and students for 50 years.
One year I was asked to talk to Y6 about what I'd look for in marking. I relaxed the pupils and incensed the Literacy Coordinator by mentioning that their new secondary schools would assess them themselves next term anyway and that SATs were intended as a test of the school, not the children.
OP - I understand how pleased you are at our grandson's success. When my then 7 year old first grandson got 5 for KS2 Maths I told few people and only one colleague, a close friend, at the junior school where I taught. I shan't share the more recent results he and my subsequent grandchildren achieved, exams aren't everything.

Elrel Mon 11-Jul-16 15:45:33

OP sorry 'your grandson's) as far as I know we have no GC in common!!

LullyDully Mon 11-Jul-16 17:03:48

My boys did well at primary then hit adolescence and rebelled themselves out of much in the way of qualifications!! They have made up for it since thank goodness. I think sadly, the rule is keep quiet and let others do the boasting. I do have certain friends who love to tell me about their offspring, I just oo and ahhh.

WilmaKnickersfit Mon 11-Jul-16 17:08:59

Anya is not saying there's anything wrong about being proud of your grandchildren.