Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

The ups and downs.

(34 Posts)
morethan2 Sat 01-Oct-16 13:06:26

Some of you know my DiL is ill. She's in hospital at the moment so I've had my granddaughters. They are really lovely girls 7&4. The four year old was sitting behind the settee with my iPad 'chattering' to it and I noticed her kissing and then trying to cuddle it tight. I took it off her and asked what she was doing and she said "talking to mummy" when I looked there was a picture of her mummy taken some years ago. She said forlornly look it's mummy before she had a sore back. Honestly I wanted to cover her with love and kisses. The 7 year old has spent hours making cards with messages saying 'get better soon mummy' 'I miss your best cuddle' and 'I miss your lovely face mummy' l look at her innocent little face and want to make her mummy better. I got up this morning and my husband had tidied up and emptied the dishwasher before leaving for work at six this morning. I was so grateful. The downs are that the girls have been bickering all morning, the 4 year old has just started school full time this week and she's snotty( there are dozens of snotty tissues all over the living room) and irritable. She's spilled orange juice over the carpet. The older one spoilt the game of pairs and snakes and ladders. It's raining so I can't take them out. I'm sitting here and I can hear the four year old upstairs pulling things about I'm almost to scared to go up in case there's a mess. I think I might start to agree with the I don't want grandchildren thread. To top it all I feel horribly guilty.

Angela1961 Sun 02-Oct-16 10:36:36

I know your feeling fragile but unfortunately little ones do get bored on rainy days. How about making some fairy cakes or laying big sheets of paper on the kit when floor for drawing on, or as its autumn (although raining ) go to local woods look for fungus,consumers,berries on tree's etc then perhaps home for a DVD,biscuit and hot chocolate. Good luck !

Gaggi3 Sun 02-Oct-16 11:04:07

My own petty little worries are so insignificant compared to what some GNetters are coping with. Good wishes and flowers and wine to all who are struggling so valiantly to care for their loved ones of all ages.

jogginggirl Sun 02-Oct-16 12:27:51

morethan and mcem and all other gransnetters going through such heartbreaking times - I send love ❤️️and (((hugs))) Thinking of you all ?

mcem Sun 02-Oct-16 13:08:16

Thanks for all the kind comments but I don't claim to be the mainstay of the family as so many here are. I just do my share within a supportive family.
However I have posted on the thread in praise of carers and give credit to my lovely GD (16)!

Nelliemoser Sun 02-Oct-16 13:58:42

mcem and morethan2 As Gaggie3 said your stresses put what I feel are worries into perspective.

(((hugs))) to all in situations like this.

morethan2 Sun 02-Oct-16 14:37:07

I just had a bad day yesterday. Occasionally I feel really overwhelmed. I'm better today. Mummy's out of hospital but can do very little. I'm cooking dinner and taking it over. I nearly fell over myself when they suggested they come here. I must have sounded horrible when I said a very loud NO. But it's not the cooking it's the tidying up after them that I find hard. The constant "nanna nanna,nanna" so this way I go, serve, eat and leave. Quickly. I'm only a chink in the chain of helpers. It's hard for all of us. Of course it's harder for my DiL who want nothing more than look after her own family.

mcem Sun 02-Oct-16 15:51:24

Well done morethan on keeping going today. I'm afraid I've had a very lazy day.
GS had a temperature and was sick no fewer than 6 times overnight on Friday and we had very little sleep. He slept a lot yesterday before I reluctantly handed him over to their (separated) father in the evening.
GD and I made lavender bags and dancing dolls while he slept.
So apart from a lovely chat with their mum while we both enjoyed some peace and quiet today, I've done as little as possible. Lots of washing after Friday night but the machine took care of that!!

Jalima Sun 02-Oct-16 18:43:10

mcem flowers
morethan2 flowers

Well done, it is hard looking after DGC at the best of times but you have all the added worries.
You're bound to get dispirited but you are doing a wonderful job.