Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Ask a DIL...

(242 Posts)
DIL123 Tue 21-Mar-17 21:46:18

I'm a DIL and would be happy to answer any questions you may have, such as why does it bother us so much that you want to feed our LO's? Or have them for overnights? Or buy their first outfit? Why has contact been scaled back? Why does DIL have so many rules? Is there anything you want to ask - i'm more than happy to try to offer a perspective to you if you're perplexed about where an issue may be stemming from.

Leticia Wed 22-Mar-17 06:54:52

Very true suzied. Children are very adaptable and easily accept that what they can do in one house they can't in another.

thatbags Wed 22-Mar-17 07:10:06

There is a species of gran called Grabby Gran. They have forgotten what it felt like to have a new baby that is theirs and the most precious amazing thing ever! Hands off, everyone else, until I'm ready to share!

Either that or they have remembered and have gone all broody. Save daughters in law from broody mothers in law, I say.

Dons tin hat and buggers off. Good luck, DIL123. Be assertive.

Flossieturner Wed 22-Mar-17 08:03:16

You say that you will answer questions but surely every Relationship is different and you cannot speak for every DiL. Not all Dils will be upset about the same thing or want the same things from their MiL. There are as many Dils complaining about lack of interest from GPS as there are those who complain about the opposite.

I would be very interested to read what prompted you to post.

Izabella Wed 22-Mar-17 08:19:47

My DIL is of the OP's generation too and for that reason I butt out of everything. We only visit when we are told it is convenient (once a year so far) only buy the odd thing we are told to ( we are provided with a Christmas list) and so on. I accept I am only a step gran but worry my OH is missing out on his grandson. I just accept DIL is a bit of a control freak. DIL's other half walks a tightrope too and I think it's just a question of time before he outgrows the relationship.

DIL123 Wed 22-Mar-17 08:22:08

Firstly I apologize if anyone thinks i'm projecting! I for sure have a strained relationship with my MIL but know from her perspective she thinks I am overbearing, controlling etc.

I know this isn't the situation for everyone - I just meant it to be for those where "the shoe fits" kind of thing. AKA if you have issues with your DIL and are not sure where she might be coming from, or maybe contact has decreased and you don't know why, then I thought I could offer some recent perspective as to why.

If it makes any difference for anyone who assumed i'm a teenager i'm almost 26 so not a teen.

I wholeheartedly agree to not expect childcare or free babysitting or anything of the sort. There's no harm in asking in my book but asking without expectation is the way forward. You are not obliged to give up your time for your AC to go out, you can do so if you wish or you can decline. I do think a lot of AC and partners do expect that granny will always be there to babysit because she should "want" to spend time with GCs. Of course they do, but it also needs to be a mutually convenient time. To me its off putting when something is expected and I personally feel for grandparents who are expected religiously to look after GCs without any consideration into what the GP wants!

I'm probably going to cause waves here but i'm strongly for "the parents rules go" for the child. If a grandparent goes against parents rules because they think their way is better then they're probably going to cause a lot of trouble. The same goes for mothers of daughters. I wouldn't leave my child anywhere where I know my rules aren't going to be followed.

Also in my experience I've had to "make" rules which really should be common sense because otherwise my MIL would just do what she wanted without a consideration for my child. Such things as not giving unsuitable tastes to a very young baby, not trying to teach baby unsuitable words etc. No one else had "rules" because everyone else had enough courtesy to not presume it was okay to do those things. I know from that point MIL felt very much like I was being controlling and our relationship broke down terribly aftr that.

I think both sides are guilty of expectations, but to me its natural for a DIL to have expectations regarding her motherhood, surely? They expect to bathe, feed, hold, carry, rock and dress their little ones. They expect to bond with their ones and be the ones to make the choices in the best interests of the child. Grandparents may over assume that visits will increase after baby is born, they may take baby for overnight stays, that they will be doing nappy duty or feeding duty or whatever. Some people simply aren't comfortable with this. I expect that when I make a decision for my baby it will be respected and upheld. Some grandparents expect its their house their "rules" or that, as an elder, they get to have final say. And this is where it becomes a power struggle and why relationships break down.

DIL123 Wed 22-Mar-17 08:27:01

No of course I cannot speak for every DIL! I'm very sorry if I gave that impression as I absolutely thought it was a given (obviously) that I am not representing a whole generation of DILS just those if the shoe fits. If your relationship may have broken down with your son/DIL and you have no idea why, it could be that DIL is just a horrible person or it could be that your behaviour comes across differently to the way its intended.

Anya Wed 22-Mar-17 08:33:59

Forgive me DiL123 just who do you think you are talking to? Can I suggest you take your angst and your inability to deal with human relationships in a 'grown up' and emotionally intelligent way back to a site like Mumsnet.

I have no issues with my own DiL (or SiL) and none of the supposed desire to take over that you seem to attribute to us. Yes, good point upthread, we've all been DiLs ourselves at one time and learned how to give and take.

As for offering yourself as a guru or 'Dear Marge' you've got a bloody cheek when you obviously need a helping hand yourself.

NanaandGrampy Wed 22-Mar-17 08:38:25

I'm not even going to apologise -I AM a Nana who has the 'my house, my rules' scenario going on.

I am firmer than either of my daughters and their husbands- or maybe for that I should read I am consistent. My 4 grandchildren get it !! They know that if I say no- I mean it. If I tell them not to poke the dog - there's no sneaky last poke before the naughty step.

My daughters feel that in my home I am entitled to be the one making the rules because I am the one enforcing them. In their homes I would not dream of contradicting them. None of our 'rules' are onerous on the little ones, just for their safety and -its true- my sanity !! So we sit at the table to eat meals, we don't draw on walls, we do flush the toilet....

It means they behave well here and when we take them out, they sleep well here, no wandering around and bed swapping at night, they do eat well - its not all chicken nuggets and chips.

It means that their mothers and fathers trust me to not do anything that would either harm the children or change their home rules and the children understand what is possible here and what is possible at home.

I appreciate what you're saying DIL but I did expect to bathe, carry, dress my grandchildren . Not to the detriment of their mothers but to support them and forge a relationship with the children.

Riverwalk Wed 22-Mar-17 08:46:04

I wouldn't leave my child anywhere where I know my rules aren't going to be followed.

Out of interest DIL what are your rules and how do they apply to your MIL?

I'm flabbergasted at some of the rules grans on here have to put with! For example very proscriptive orders on bedtime, TV, food, etc. Some grandparents are more or less full-time childminders with a long list of do's and dont's, often very petty like no white bread and specific times for fresh air!

MawBroon Wed 22-Mar-17 08:50:45

Thank you for your honesty DIL, but your experience is *totally foreign to me. And while I do recognise the "grabby gran/aunt/ older woman" Thatbags I am thankful that again it did not apply to me either as a DIL or a Granny now.
Of course if the DGC are here I ask mum what to give them -one forgets, but Ella's or Organix squishy food pouches seem generally acceptable as does granny's chicken/leek/sweet potato/squash mush and I DO KNOW not to put salt in it! For the toddlers I would ask because there is no point in cookin something that ends up in the dog.
Teaching babies unsuitable words?? That's seems a bit ignorant, so who'd do that anyway?
But bless you, decline to babysit"? You've got to have a cast iron previous engagement!!
How often have I read of grandparents morally blackmailed into regular childcare for days each week (check out threads with titles such as Told I don't Love my Grandchild enough) How many grans jump in to help when chicken pox/tummy bugs/unspecified lurgies mean DGC can't go to nursery or school and both parents are at work? Of course we love to see our DGC but sometimes geographical distance or physical infirmity make is a sacrifice too.
Your posts are very reasoned and as I said I appreciate your sincerity, but so often when there are relationship problems between mums and grans the word "entitled" springs to mind.
Each generation expects and tries to be the best parents they can be but your generation and Gina Ford no more invented "parenting" than Dr Spock, Penelope Leach or Miriam Stoppard.
PS we didn't have "parenting" or even "birthing" We had babies and we brought up children

Christinefrance Wed 22-Mar-17 08:57:22

It does seem DIL123 that you are setting yourself up to speak for all DILs. Not possible, all families have differing issues and believe it or not some of us live together in harmony.
Having said that of course mistakes are made, misunderstandings occur and we have to be tolerant of each other. Child care ideas change with each generation and GPs must understand that, but not all their ideas are without value either. As N&G said its a question of trust mainly. I agree MILs need to build a rapport with their DILs before child care is an issue, this works both ways of course. FILs do not seem to have the same problems, don't remember any threads about their relationship difficulties with DILs.

NfkDumpling Wed 22-Mar-17 09:01:23

I have three DC all bringing their DC / my DGC up completely differently so we do have the my house, my rules otherwise it'd favour one of them. If just one family is present then it's different and I will ask first if something is allowed.

I think the present generation of GPs is in a new and difficult position being the first sandwich generation. Previously our generation would only looked after the really old ones and the new parents were on their own with maybe just a bit of advice. Mothers didn't work full stop and didn't need the childcare. Only the really poor did that. Now too, the older generation has more money and is looking for ways to help out - as in the case of buying a cot. There's a lot of tiptoeing around and/or sticking noses in where they're not wanted. Now both parents work. It's new ground. The rules have changed. In fact there aren't any! Patience and empathy is needed on all sides.

DIL123 Wed 22-Mar-17 09:03:23

I am sorry if it seems I've overstepped the mark. I was merely only trying to offer a perspective from some DIL's of this generation. I can see I've caused offense when none was intended at all.

And Anya, I have no angst and have not been rude to a single person on this site. I certainly don't speak for everyone of my age at all, I am just simply trying to offer some perspective. I actually found your retort rude and uncalled for. You seem to be the one with hostility and that is uncalled for. Do you speak to your DIL like that? Why exactly do I need a helping hand?

DIL123 Wed 22-Mar-17 09:05:04

I'm actually going to step away from this thread now as I can see it was a mistake to try. I was no way trying to be a guru and wish you all the best for the future.

cornergran Wed 22-Mar-17 09:06:01

When caring for babies we followed their home routine as much as possible, asked questions to be updated on thinking and their parents wishes. It seemed sensible and helpful for everyone. Our family trusted us not to harm their babies. As they mature It becomes different. At our home our grandchildren do not use the beds as trampolines, swap beds in the night, stand on the chairs, sit on the kitchen worktop, wander around eating food or drinking, refuse to try a new food, ignore polite requests to help lay the table, wander round with felt tips in their hands. I could go on. These are all things they have been observed doing at home. So yes, our home our rules, they are happy here, they understand the 'why' of it from our viewpoint which has helped them be adaptable in the homes of their friends. We don't criticise the structure in their home, their parents don't criticise the structure in ours. No problem!

NfkDumpling Wed 22-Mar-17 09:12:06

(And my house rules follow NannyandGrampys to the letter! And it applies to the DGdogs too when they come to stay while their family is on holiday)

NfkDumpling Wed 22-Mar-17 09:14:12

Don't step away completely DIL123. Your input on various threads and different viewpoint would be very useful.

gillybob Wed 22-Mar-17 09:16:11

So very glad you are not my DDiL, DIL123 who has trusted me with her AND MY SON'S precious children since they were only weeks old. They are now 11,9 and 7. I have never once been issued with a rule or an order of any kind and you know what? it works just fine. smile

Gagagran Wed 22-Mar-17 09:37:20

I feel a bit sorry for DIL123 as I am sure she was only posting with the best of intentions to try and throw a DiL viewpoint into the ring. I also wonder if she is posting from the USA as some of the terms used (e.g. "first outfit" "LO") did not sound at all familiar. That could account for the different perspective on the GP/DiL relationship.

I have a DD and a DDiL and both have trusted me entirely to care for and love their children - my DGC. I always tried to follow their way of doing things but like several others on here it was always clearly understood that it was "my house my rules". Some of those rules may have been slightly indulgent but isn't that what GPs do? Both sets of parents have been appreciative of our help and support and it has been and still is a win/win for all of us.

janeainsworth Wed 22-Mar-17 09:40:54

dil123
Neither my DM nor my dMiL appeared to have any 'expectations' with regard to their role in my DCs lives. They were simply pleased to see us and the feeling was mutual.
I have the same sort of of relationship with my DD and DDiL.
Distance came into it. They both lived too far away to see us frequently and came to stay, in the early days, for a month at a time. I wonder how your generation of anxiety-ridden, rule-making, entitled young mothers would have coped with that.
Of course I have rules in my house. They are the same as suzie's. Quite apart from the question of mess, I think it's good for children to learn to respect other people's property and possessions, as well as their own.
Of course I wouldn't impose my diet rules on the DGC. When they come to stay I buy the horrible breakfast cereals and sweetened yoghurts that they have at home, even though I dislike the fact that they eat them.
I make dinner an hour earlier than usual because I know that DD likes the children to stick to their usual bedtime routine.
None of the above is a problem - it's called give and take.
Someone upthread suggested you should be more assertive (that's meaning not aggressive or manipulative) with your MiL. My thoughts too.
It really is possible for the generations to co-exist within the family without resorting to umbrage taking, threats of reducing contact etc.

Jalima Wed 22-Mar-17 09:55:12

This can't be real, surely?
Or is it just me who thinks it's a wind-up (quite a clever one, better than normal smile) to get all the grannies going?

KatyK Wed 22-Mar-17 10:10:53

I have never asked to have my granddaughter overnight. I wouldn't dream of it. However, my daughter has often asked me if I would have her overnight, and I have been very happy to oblige smile Obviously I am a mum, not a mother-in-law but my DD's mother-in-law has also had her overnight too.

Experigran Wed 22-Mar-17 10:20:38

My grandson will be two next month and was called Christopher James. He had a big Christening, but since then my daughter-in-law refuses to use his name. She is definitely suffering from post partum depression and is being treated by her doctor. It is not as though she wants to call him by another name, but whenever my son calls him Christopher she says she does not like Christopher. If anyone calls him by his name, or even worse Chris, she completely ignores them and says she does not like it. He now understands it when she says this and does not respond to any name. My son has spoken to her doctor who changes the medication, but nothing changes. The poor little boy looks completely lost and it is being picked up at the nursery he goes to. My son is also becoming depressed resulting in excema on his legs. I know he will not be able to go on much longer without breaking down himself.

I have no idea what to do!

gillybob Wed 22-Mar-17 10:22:46

I have never asked to have my granddaughter overnight. I wouldn't dream of it

Me neither KatyK but they still seem to land and they are very hard to get rid of grin

LouP Wed 22-Mar-17 10:30:31

I have a wonderful DIL. 15 years going on 16. She will do anything for me and I will do anything for her . She has her own mother too so I am not a substitute mother. She lives round the corner from me. Yesterday she took me to the Doctor's due to difficult parking during g her working day although I am perfectly capable of getting the bus and also driving . It was merely kindness when she knows a I stress about getting there . I have two grandchildren of 11 and 9. I never realised that there was difficulty with DIL's and MIL's . One thing my late husband said long before the grandchildren came along was " Never interfere. Give advice ONLY when asked for it" I have stuck by that rule and it has held me in good stead. . My DIL is absolutely golden and I love her like my own. I am very lucky.