Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

What do your grandchildren want to do when they grow up?

(63 Posts)
gillybob Wed 21-Jun-17 14:58:17

Chatting with my three yesterday tea time, we got onto the subject of what they want to do when they grow up.

DGD 1 (aged 11) very bright, sensible, sporty but quiet and timid. Wants to be a Contortionist (??) or a Scientist or a Show jumper.

DGD 2 (aged 9) very bright, funny, very sporty, arty and witty. Wants to be a gymnast or a professional footballer or a police officer or a jockey or a cartoonist.

DGS (aged 7) IS going to be a professional footballer and after he has finished (when he's about 37 his dads age which he must think is ancient) he will be a firefighter or a police officer.

Funny how they think isn't it?

gillybob Thu 22-Jun-17 20:04:22

Reading through all these lovely posts I think its great that children have dreams of what they want to do...and lets hope most of them get to come true. (well maybe not the tooth fairy or the mermaid but who knows?)smile

I always wanted to do some kind of social work (or something in the caring profession) blew that though.

Breda Thu 22-Jun-17 20:58:41

When my eldest granddaughter, who is now 17, was a little girl she used to tell us all that she would like to be a beetroot when she grew up!

Andyf Thu 22-Jun-17 21:28:39

6yr old grandson isn't sure whether he wants to be a doctor or an ice cream man.

grannybuy Thu 22-Jun-17 23:15:47

Youngest DGD aged 3 1/2 said she couldn't be a doctor, as she couldn't clean up sick. When I told her that the nurses would do it, she decided that she will be a doctor after all.

marionk Fri 23-Jun-17 18:57:17

At 2 DGD2 is a little undecided, but food taster is under consideration, DGD1 will have to be a dramatic actress or a professional tantrum thrower I think!

Norah Sat 24-Jun-17 16:32:37

ODGD is a teacher, her DB has a good job (I don't know what it entails, but on ASD and gets paid!). Another runs a childminding service, and her sister creates parties.

Welshwife Sat 24-Jun-17 16:51:11

When DGS was about 6 he announced that when he grew up he was going to be a 'slacker'! We have no idea where he heard the word - we pointed out he might not find it very interesting so he said maybe he would just do it for a year then.
He is just about to complete his engineering doctorate.

gillybob Sat 24-Jun-17 22:37:27

My younger DGD (9) used to say that when she grew up she wanted to be a horse . "don't be silly, you can't be a horse" said her older sister.
Then with a big sigh....
"'Okay then.... if I can't be a horse I will
be a meerkat "
hmm

Faye Sun 25-Jun-17 12:49:00

GS 9 has always wanted to work in a rubbish dump since he was three. He is also interested in recycling and when he was younger his favourite books were about dumps and recycling depots.

He is the grottiest child, though looks very angelic and other GS also 9 told me his cousin was holding a dead bird while they were outside playing and a bug crawled out of its eye socket. ?

I am sure he doesn't get this interest from my side of the family.

Welshwife Sun 25-Jun-17 13:03:59

OH Would quite like to work on the dump lorry!!!!

acanthus Mon 26-Jun-17 10:51:25

Our 8-year old grandson is obsessed by football, having a father who trialled for a club and an uncle who was a professional footballer. Naturally - he wants to be a footballer. The other day we asked him what he'd be if he were physically unable to be a professional footballer - his answer was "I'll be a wheelchair footballer!"

Going back some years I asked my five year old daughter what she wanted to be. Her reply: "A cleaning lady or a 'barellina'.." which I though sensibly covered all options.

acanthus Mon 26-Jun-17 10:52:29

Sorry for the typo - 'thought'.