Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

What do your grandchildren want to do when they grow up?

(63 Posts)
gillybob Wed 21-Jun-17 14:58:17

Chatting with my three yesterday tea time, we got onto the subject of what they want to do when they grow up.

DGD 1 (aged 11) very bright, sensible, sporty but quiet and timid. Wants to be a Contortionist (??) or a Scientist or a Show jumper.

DGD 2 (aged 9) very bright, funny, very sporty, arty and witty. Wants to be a gymnast or a professional footballer or a police officer or a jockey or a cartoonist.

DGS (aged 7) IS going to be a professional footballer and after he has finished (when he's about 37 his dads age which he must think is ancient) he will be a firefighter or a police officer.

Funny how they think isn't it?

Flossieturner Thu 22-Jun-17 10:49:08

My son told his 5 year old that if he worked hard at school, he could have any job he wanted.

He said he wanted to be a Mermaid.

Worlass Thu 22-Jun-17 11:01:26

GD (29) always wanted to be a clown in a circus. Is now proud Mum of 1yr old DGGS.

Rosina Thu 22-Jun-17 11:07:03

My dear GS has no idea yet - he is eighteen and just finishing A levels so I hope he does start having thoughts about it! The other GC are tiny so haven't expressed any of the very amusing ideas here - I loved the electric policeman - and the mermaid!
The most depressing one I heard was from a colleague who asked her class what they wanted to do when they grew up. One little boy piped up that he wanted 'To get the highest possible level of benefit'.

Kim19 Thu 22-Jun-17 11:43:36

Thank you, Anya. I've taken a copy of that. Lovely...........

HillyN Thu 22-Jun-17 11:51:03

GD aged 4 was really excited to sit in the cab of the fire engine at the school fete and try on the helmet. I asked her if she would like to be a firefighter when she grew up. She replied 'I really want to be a doctor but maybe I could do both?' Maybe, who knows...

Nandalot Thu 22-Jun-17 11:52:41

6 year old DGS said yesterday he was red to be a train or bus driver. Fairly typical but then added or a cleaner. He hates putting toys away but will gladly join in the dusting ( at his convenience) and helpfully dusted ( smeared) the TV screen with a polish soaked duster. His efforts are still there for all to admire.

HillyN Thu 22-Jun-17 11:55:12

Here she is!

W11girl Thu 22-Jun-17 11:58:23

I'm not a grandmother, but I read many of your posts, and I could almost hear people thinking "in your dreams" (in a nice way). However, my son always wanted to be a writer, I had to admit I thought you can't just do that! At age 4 he could type, and play musical instruments. He never gave up on his dreams. At 44 he is still writing for a living! With the right encouragement and support, I'm sure many of your children will stick to their childhood convictions. Good luck all.

sweetpea Thu 22-Jun-17 12:02:33

8 year old GS - wants to go to Welbeck College (has already sent an enquiry!) then join the Army, play cricket for Kent
7 year old GD - teacher or librarian
Just 6 year old - wanted to be a doctor, now wants to be a paelentologist
(?spelling)

Shame we won't be around to see what they end up doing/being - we wish for them long, happy and fulfilled lives.

Craftycat Thu 22-Jun-17 12:28:26

GS1(13)- Something to do with animals
GS2(11)- Something in sport- preferably football
GD1(9)-Hairdresser
GS3 (8)-Design Minecraft games
GD2 (6) - Not a clue but it must involve dancing
GS4 (3)- Wants to be Bob the Builder as long as he can have Marshall from Paw Patrol as his best friend.

I think GS4(3) the most likely to make it to his dream!!

Gaggi3 Thu 22-Jun-17 12:32:10

8 year-old DGS - scientist, inventor, or a researcher into dragons.

3 year-old DGD - doctor

3 year-old DGS - probably a digger driver, crane operator or similar.

Juliette Thu 22-Jun-17 12:36:38

sweetpea DGS2 is off to Harrogate in October to fulfill his long held dream of driving a tank, just think 16 is so young to be taking such a massive step. Hey ho I'm only the nana.

DGS1 had wanted to be an architect since he could hold a pencil and realised that there was a job he could do that allowed him to design and draw buildings. Last year, first year of A levels, he 'fell in love' and is about to become the third generation of this family to falter at the last hurdle before uni.

Reading through this it sounds a very negative post, it's not really, both boys are healthy and happy and I am happy for them but........

grandMattie Thu 22-Jun-17 12:50:07

Harrygran could your DGD design for fat old ladies please? Nice, fun clothes that fit and aren't frumpy? Thanks.

DGS [13] is going to be a scientist, job of choice since he was about 4
DGD1 [7] isn't sure - but younger wanted to be "cafe lady"
DGD2 [4] wants to be a dentist of a sculptor!

lovebeigecardigans1955 Thu 22-Jun-17 12:50:22

My great niece (aged 10) wants to be a mermaid!

grandMattie Thu 22-Jun-17 12:50:44

OR a sculptor blush

LouLou21 Thu 22-Jun-17 12:51:25

My five year old gd wants to be a tattooist.

Glosgran Thu 22-Jun-17 13:09:09

Our three year old granddaughter wants to be a Tooth Fairy!

NonnaW Thu 22-Jun-17 13:13:32

DGS is only 2 so not expressing any pr ferences yet, but given that his favourite toys are his toolset (always 'fixing' something - usually with a toy hammer!), and his play food, probably be working with his hands in some form.

inishowen Thu 22-Jun-17 14:54:56

My four year old grandson wants to be a scuba diver. We don't know where he got the idea from.

Coppernob Thu 22-Jun-17 14:55:54

I was having this conversation with 2 of my 8 granddaughters just the other day. The 7 year old said she wants to be a vet, but this was quickly followed by the question, "Do vets earn a lot of money Granny?"
The 3 year old was undecided whether to be a fairy or an opera singer!

When my daughter was little she wanted to be the Tooth Fairy. Now her aspirations have been realised as she has 2 little girls who are regularly losing teeth!

glynis1234 Thu 22-Jun-17 15:14:11

The 5 year old told me (when she was 4) she wanted to be

A Princess

A Fairy

Or

A Mummy

ninathenana Thu 22-Jun-17 16:16:53

Anya ? I've never heard that before
Beautiful, thanks for posting

ninathenana Thu 22-Jun-17 16:24:19

harrigran if she can do that at 11 she'll probably make it smile
Impressive

gillyknits Thu 22-Jun-17 18:00:08

My little GS, aged four, can't decide between being a wrestler or a dustbin man. His Dad suggested he should wrestle under the name Wheelie Bin!

yearofthetiger Thu 22-Jun-17 19:39:10

My granddaughter's only 5. She told me she really wants to go and explore the stars, but she'd quite like to be a fairy princess as well! It's good to keep your options open.